Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Thoughts on violence/combat

Obzen said:

Quake 1 and Quake 3 worked fine for me on Dreamcast, and that only had one analog stick. Quake 4 is fine with a 360 pad, and so is Quake III for that matter.

Q3 for Dreamcast has support for keyboard and mouse, that's why it was considered almost as good as the PC version. But devs nowadays are reluctant to allow players to use K+M on consoles. It would be very good if all shooter in consoles had support to K+M.

Q4 has a slower pace than Q3, that is why it was playable on 360 without the need for K+M support. That's why I believe that the pace for this Doom will be something between D3-Q4.

Unfortunately Q4 bombed, id would need to make another herculean task to revamp a future Quake reboot. But for now all the studio is working 100% trying to revamp Doom(although D3 was the best seller of all Doom games), unlike Q4 that was a complete failure.

Kaskaum said:

Q3 for Dreamcast has support for keyboard and mouse, that's why it was considered almost as good as the PC version. But devs nowadays are reluctant to allow players to use K+M on consoles. It would be very good if all shooter in consoles had support to K+M.

Q4 has a slower pace than Q3, that is why it was playable on 360 without the need for K+M support. That's why I believe that the pace for this Doom will be something between D3-Q4.

Unfortunately Q4 bombed, id would need to make another herculean task to revamp a future Quake reboot. But for now all the studio is working 100% trying to revamp Doom(although D3 was the best seller of all Doom games), unlike Q4 that was a complete failure.

Quake 4 was a smaller project done by Raven, it sold solid for a next-gen launch title and did pretty well on PC.

Yeah, I had Quake III on Dreamcast as well, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. If that controller had two analog sticks, I'm assuming it would have been even easier to control.

Kaskaum said:

The Doom - Quake 1 gameplay pace is atrocious in controllers, classic Doom still works on consoles due to the lack of the need to aim up - down unlike a 3D shooter. For Doom to succeed on consoles it needs to have a slower pace and focus on a more precise aim like Halo did to succeed influencing the upcoming shooters on consoles. That's why bet on a faster pace than Doom 3 - slower pace than Quake 4. Something between those 2 games. Off course, holding the run - sprint button you can get faster, but it makes you unable to aim-shoot.

Dude, you don't need to slow it down for consoles. Consoles can handle faster paced stuff, we aren't dealing with SNES here you know?!

The new DOOM is coming out for Playstation 4, Xbox One, and PC.

Stuff that has controllers that can handle fast-paced gameplay. Consoles that can handle the fast-paced gameplay and action of DOOM and stuff. We aren't in the NES or Atari days anymore my friend. We are in 2014.

Next-gen consoles can handle fast-paced gameplay.

We don't need another slow shooter. We have too many first-person shooters these days that make us feel sluggish man. Seriously, we don't need to feel sluggish. We need to feel energetic, fast, slim, athletic, agile.

Also, I would like to point out that Halo: The Master Chief Collection on Xbox One is running at 60 Frames per Second and it's really fast-paced gameplay.

We need to feel the game you know. Not feel disconnected. DOOM isn't Halo, and DOOM isn't Wolfenstein.

Lol in my opinion DOOM is motherfucking DOOM.

DOOM shouldn't try to be something that it isn't you know what I'm saying?

I mean if we all think about it...

DOOM just goes something like this.

Take the technology from the Aliens movie (1986)

Take the chainsaw and super shotgun from Evil Dead 2 (1987)

And finally take the demons right out of Dungeons and Dragons 2nd Edition!

AshWilliams43 said:

I mean if we all think about it...

DOOM just goes something like this.

Take the technology from the Aliens movie (1986)

Take the chainsaw and super shotgun from Evil Dead 2 (1987)

And finally take the demons right out of Dungeons and Dragons 2nd Edition!

If Doom never happened and you just suggested that to me for the setting of a game, I'd tell you that game would be the most awesomely badass thing ever. Well Doom did happen, and it was the most awesomely badass thing ever.

Obzen said:

If Doom never happened and you just suggested that to me for the setting of a game, I'd tell you that game would be the most awesomely badass thing ever. Well Doom did happen, and it was the most awesomely badass thing ever.

Yup! That's what badassery is all about! DOOM is the most badass game ever made.

The new DOOM should just return to the basics.

Aliens + Evil Dead 2 + Dungeons and Dragons 2nd Edition = DOOM

Add in 1/4 cup of Phobos.

Add in 1/4 cup of Deimos.

Add in 1/4 cup of Hell.

Add in 1/4 cup of Thy Flesh Consumed (Moon? Hell?! IDK? IDKFA!)

Mix together gently, then fucking stir it up like you are in the DOOM Comic and you are about to rip and tear!

Then once all mixed nice and awesomely, insert batter into cake pan.

Put cake pan inside oven.

Take cake out of oven.

When taking cake out of oven, one must be wary of the occasional VALVE fan who will pop out and say that your cake is a lie.

The cake is not a lie....

The cake of DOOM is a fucking badass who will rip and tear all that oppose it!

DOOM! \m/ \m/

AshWilliams43 said:

A whole bunch of adolescent rage and douchery that I haven't grown out of! That's my DOOOOOOOM!

Whatever you do, for fuck's sake, just don't listen to this guy.

Clonehunter said:

In some games bodies may disappear when you're simply not looking. While not modern, Dark Forces II for example: Kill a room full of enemies, and stare the camera on one or two. Come back two minutes too four hours later, the enemies on camera will still be visible, but when turn around, the rest have vacated. Turn back around, and the corpses you were looking at may or may not still be present. (Actually, DF2 might not be the best example again, but I know this happens in Jedi Outcast).

This is also very common in Call of Duty games. Bodies will simply disappear when you're not looking. Interestingly, however, in World at War, where you could dismember enemies with ease, body parts like legs and hands will never disappear, although the bodies they belonged too will. In some other games, like Elite Forces, if you watch a body long enough, it'll vaporize with an animation, and bodies will sink into the ground when playing Jedi Outcast multiplayer.

Interesting topic. I can't stress enough how much I agree with:

LANEGRACABRA said:

The corpses should not disintegrate. I loved observing the aftermath of carnage in early Doom games, all that disgusting mass of dead demon flesh.

I don't like the fact that enemies are disappearing in modern FPS games. But programmers are limited by hardware (memory) requirements. It was easy in Doom 1/2 to preserve tens and hundreds of dead bodies because they were merely sprites. But now they take much more memory and processor time (as physicts still apply to them). I liked the way they solved it in Max Payne 3. The bodies never dissapeared but when progressing the game you couldn't backtrack from some point on. That fit MP3 well but it makes backtracking in the game impossible. And in original Doom you would explore and backtrack quite a lot.

Ideally I'd love to see someone come up with idea of somehow lossy compressing the data of dead bodies.
I could imagine a pile of dead bodies blend together to create 'Something'. Something more than a static element of the background (like the bodies found in Wolf:TNO at the beginning of Gibraltar level were) but something less than an live enemy model.

AshWilliams43 said:

Yeah, DOOM is set in the 22nd century right? By then they probably have that sort of thing. Also, the new DOOM should have extreme blood and gore. That's what made DOOM so memorable back in the day was it's gore. Maybe they should do what Killing Floor 2 is doing but better.

I was thinking of KF 2 with respect to this topic. Since you got a glimpse of the game, how does the gore system compare to both your wishes (stated first post) and Killimg Floor 2. KF 2's blood amount is excessive but they are on the right track, taking notes from soldier of fortune with damage to every limb and such. Some people are complaining about excessive gore but the gore is essential to satisfying gameplay. Who the funk wants to shoot a demon with shotty close up just for the same damn death animation with some red mist every time.

Unless the demo shown had an already had a substantial gore system I dont think it will compare to KF 2....which looks to be a great game.

I saw some KF2 footage and wasnt impressed at all. High frame weapon animations yet the head explosions looked like any early 2000s FPS.

LANEGRACABRA said:

I saw some KF2 footage and wasnt impressed at all. High frame weapon animations yet the head explosions looked like any early 2000s FPS.

Graphically, i agree, although its not bad. I wasnt talking in terms of graphics though...gameplay and gore Its definitely a step above any fps out there in terms of gore. Gameplay looks solid but nothing new.

Doom was never "fast" as in autorun like we all use today. When I got my hands on shareware I'm not even sure I knew it was possible to run at first, and certainly I didn't anyway with pinkies running around scaring me shitless. If I can experience a fraction of what I felt the first time I played Doom Shareware I will be a happy Potatoe.