Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tylerisepic1

Does anyone else have random urges to play games from their childhood?

^ This. I don't think I've played many games that are not from my childhood. (that's because I'm 12, hoho)

Really? You're gonna ask this question on a Doom forum? I play classic NES, SNES, and N64 games all the friggin' time. Honestly, it's the thing I most often use my Wii for (though I actually do use my Wii to play Wii games - contrary to the popular belief that it serves no purpose other than emulation and/or collecting dust). Mario, Castlevania, Mega Man, Zelda, Star Fox... Funny thing is, most of those games, I've played/beaten them so many times, it's practically muscle memory.

Honestly? Hell yeah. That's a big reason why I'm such a big proponent of emulation; sometimes I do have a craving for something like the Adventures of Captain Comic, or Monuments of Mars, or Air Fortress. Maybe I'll go seek out an app or edutainment software, like Kid Pix.

Just, uh...don't let me near X-Men Cartoon Maker.

I'll get the urge to play 8-ball/9-ball/14.1, so, I'll go downstairs and grab a stick.

D&D might be kinda fun to play again.

I never get the urge to revisit RadioShack's Pong.

Few days, beat Donkey Kong 64 with 101%, first time in 25 hours. Twas fun EXCEPT FOR THE FUCKING BEETLE AND BEAVER BOTHER MINIGAMES! FUCK EM! >.<

Dunno what my next game will be, sadly Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Star fox and Super Mario World... Can't, I love em to death, but I make them too easy, but ALttP still my all time favorite game.

I miss my SNES, particularly for StarWing, the Donkey Kong Country games and Super Mario World. I think I emulated Pokémon a while back purely on nostalgia and have held on to a lot of my old PC games to replay them every now and then - seeking out others (like Rayman and Theme Hospital) to actually get to the end of for the first time.

So "yes", basically.

I had gameboys and a gamecube during my child-teenhood, I do sometimes feel like playing them again via emulator, also some of the n64 games of my brothers which I experienced during childhood.

I sometimes do, but I'm often reminded at how much those games kicked my ass back then, and some still do now. I can guarantee you, the frustration I feel is exactly identical.

Captain Red said:

When I was a child the games I played looked like this:

[screen of 80s flight-sim with CGA graphics]

So no, not really.

Hey, at least yours had a prettier HUD than mine! (Top row of screens matches the setup I had.)

There are a few games from the 80s I've played on occasion. King's Quest is an obvious one. Maes is right about how difficult most of them are.

Had a strong desire to play Tiberian Sun last week. I can't see well enough to play Tiberian Sun. Not sure how I played it so often when I was 17. It hurts the colour blindness.

Not every game I play via emulator are games I had during childhood so I don't get that nostalgic feeling for all of them however, I missed out on a great deal of good games per game system I had which over the past few years I have discovered after downloading roms of them.

I still enjoy older games even if I didn't get to play them during their time, however I have found many older games more enjoyable than most newer games, a lot of old games have such greater lengths.

"Does anyone else have random urges to play games from their childhood?", he asked on a forum dedicated to a 20+-year-old game.

But yeah, the 1990s and early 2000s were the Golden Age of Gaming as far as I'm concerned. Games from the 2010s don't interest me, except for some indie titles with retro aesthetics.

Gez said:

the 1990s and early 2000s were the Golden Age of Gaming as far as I'm concerned

Yeah, I can agree with that. Although there are a few games these days that are pretty good in my opinion as well.

"Does anyone else have random urges to play games from their childhood?" I know I do. I wouldn't mind going back and playing Jill of the Jungle and Xargon, I love those two. Plus, seeing rf's latest creation made me want to go play Hocus Pocus and Mystic Towers again. :P

I actually started playing Total Annihilation Kingdoms again recently since I never did beat it. I got to mission 45 or something before I couldn't do it anymore. :P

My childhood was years before Doom, in the times when the Atari 2600 and C64 were the gaming systems of choice.

To be honest, Atari 2600 only gives me eyesores these days, but occasionally I start a C64 emulator to play some of these games for a short period of time.

Don't we all get these urges? I recently went apeshit and blasted my way through Mega Man 1 - 6 (although admittedly 6 was less of a childhood thing and more of a 'complete the NES series' thing, as it was never originally released over here). Why? Because it just felt right and because I spent so much time playing them as a kid.

I'm always going back and playing old (console) games that had me glued to the TV for hours. The Revenge of Shinobi, Streets of Rage II, Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario World/All-Stars... even the early Resident Evil titles keep dragging me back, and I'm showing no signs of losing interest in traipsing around that damn mansion and wasting zombies. Most of the time I play these games via emulation, but only because I can't be bothered with a mess of cables and power sockets for a 45-minute run through something when emulators are accurate enough for casual playing.

As for old PC games, I can't say I've ever really stopped; Doom (obviously) is only one of several early/mid 90's titles that immediately find themselves installed on any new PC I get. C&C: Red Alert is as addictive now as it was back in 1996.

Hell yeah.

Need for Speed 2 SE. Bubble Bobble. Deathsword (2 player). Pacman. Hero's Quest (Quest for Glory). Double Dragon. Mortal Kombat. Old Nintendo games. Most of those games I don't have access to anymore or can't even remember the names but I'd play them again if I could.

i occasionally start plugging in the Gamecube again to play something I haven't played in a few months.

WildWeasel said:

Air Fortress.

So I'm not the only one that remembers that game. The part where you escape the fortress always seemed a bit creepy, especially once that dull rumbling sound began.

I get the urge to play Crash Bandicoot from time to time. My favorite PlayStation game franchise since 1999.

I actually don't replay games much. Doom is the only game that I played when I was young and then revisited a bunch of times since then. It's been a while, though; my last Dooming spree was about 10 months ago when I felt like doing some wad reviews. Even then, the game for me was writing the reviews, not the game itself. I usually need to come at the same thing from different angles to keep it interesting.

I play other old games all the time but they're always things that I missed the first time around. I never played the first Space Quests, or System Shock 1 or 2, until a few weeks ago.

Linkrulezall said:

I get urges to revisit the Pajama Sam series at least once a month.

For me it is Putt-putt, Freddy Fish, or even Spy Fox created by the same developer (Humongous Ent.) Although I haven't played or wanted to play them in years, I have satisfied my thirst by watching video footage.

Linkrulezall said:

I get urges to revisit the Pajama Sam series at least once a month.

Yes, I used to play that all the time as a kid, I also used to play roller coaster tycoon, does anyone remember when you some pc games came in cereal boxs?

I recently had an urge to play Nilco's Game Of Knowledge (also known as I.Q. 2000) again...last time I did so was in 1988 or 1989 (!) at the house of a friend.

I really liked that board game: it had different planets symbolizing different tiers/difficulty levels, your pawn gained a "planet ring" each time you qualified for a higher tier, and the end goal was a sort of "paradise" that you could reach only after conquering all of the planets. Overall, it looked futuristic and cool, and was great to play.

FWIW, I found it again today in an old battered box in a charity shop, in a really poor state. I could have gotten it, but alas, I know it will not be the same if I don't have my friend to play it with again :-(

My childhood was Milly's Math House and Dark Forces II. I still play DF2 a bit, but eh, I'd rather not revisit the Math slaughter house.

You never really see anyone ever mention the red eyesore that is the Virtual Boy and with good reason. :P