Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

I think Doom builder 2 should have prefabs

One of the advantages of Doom level editing is that the game engine isn't 3D and thus it's not that time consuming to design levels (unless you are going for hyper detail).

However sometimes I still can't help but feel it's a little bit annoying when you have to design something which you have already made a million times before and know exactly what it's going to be like. In such sitations I wished Doom Builder 2 had prefabs. It would be nice if things such as doors, switches, ambush rooms, certain kinds of room and other similar things had some kind of prefabs so that you don't have to make a new one from scrach every single time.

Do you think prefabs would be nice? And if so what kind of prefabs would you like?

I have the following menus: File, Edit, View, Prefabs, Tools, Help. Did I miss sth?

vdgg said:

I have the following menus: File, Edit, View, Prefabs, Tools, Help. Did I miss sth?

I can't believe I missed that. How does this work though, I don't think I have ever seen anybody on the forum talk about prefabs in Doom editing. Does this feature even work or is it just something that was suppose to be implimented but wasn't for some reason?

hardcore_gamer said:

How does this work though

Much the same as copy/pasting a bunch of sectors, only you're saving to a file instead of the clipboard.

Of course they do work but personally I can't find much use for them: you can draw simple things again without wasting any time and reusing complex things would be a bit lame imo (how would you feel if you saw the stairs from Doom 2 map01 in another Doom 2 map?). But apparently Eternal uses them a lot and says that they can significantly increase your pace so maybe I just don't know how to use them right.

I guess I will check out the prefabs feature at some point then.

Still, this is only partially what I was asking for. I was asking for pre-built prefabs. Though I guess it isn't very difficult just making some and saving them.

There was talk of a prefab repository over on the ZDoom forum quite some time ago,
but nothing really happened.

Personally I have used prefabs only twice and then gave up on using them again. Reloading a prefab,
except very simple ones, I find need a lot of editing to make them fit the architecture and concept
of a new map. Which can be very taxing on one's patience. Even simple prefabs need some sort of
editing. It is a lot easier to just built everything from scratch and maintain the flow of creativity.

There is only a couple of things you should ever be prefabbing in Doom, maybe a custom start/exit thing a la Plutonia and a default Door (you should just not use doors instead honestly).

Dagger147 said:

JaundiceJuan has a Modular Mapping System, which can be seen in the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FABdxr1uZfU

The link to download the system is in the About section.

I've used it a few times, and it definitely saves time.

That's the worst thing done to doom mapping I've ever seen in my life. It represents the laziest, most creatively bankrupt ideology in Doom mapping and the notion of "saving time" by copy and pasting the exact same thing is an insult to the art.

Tarnsman said:

There is only a couple of things you should ever be prefabbing in Doom, maybe a custom start/exit thing a la Plutonia and a default Door (you should just not use doors instead honestly).

That's the worst thing done to doom mapping I've ever seen in my life. It represents the laziest, most creatively bankrupt ideology in Doom mapping and the notion of "saving time" by copy and pasting the exact same thing is an insult to the art.

Not a lot more than the existence of things like Slige/Oblige, when I think about it.