Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Unregistered account

Do you have any corrupted Doom memories?

Not really sure if it counts, but I remember a while back, I had a really weird dream, where it was just like DOOM, except instead of me playing the game, DOOM was real life. (for example, in the dream, I wasn't playing a pixelated game, I was living in a realistic "DOOM" world.)
The oddest part, was that I was a Baron of Hell, instead of being the hero, and I was just chillin' in Hell, with some other Barons and Hell Knights, when all of a sudden, the door burst open, and a whole bunch of UAC Marines started pouring through the doors, blasting the shit out of us. All of my friends, (even though they were also demons) were all dying, and all I could do was just fight them with those Green Lightning balls I could shoot from my hands.

That dream made me realize how terrifying that situation would be for the Demons too.

When I was younger I was really amazed by Doom and I'd watch the demos that popped up if you sat at the menu for too long before playing it. One of the demos showed Romero, or whomever recorded the demos, playing coop with someone else and I always thought that randomly another marine would enter the level and help. I was too young to know about playing coop or dm, all I knew was Doom singleplayer. But it amazed me nonetheless.

[blink] Which demo was coop? I don't remember any coop?! or have I just not watched them in too many years??

I remember there being a former human in the starting room on E1M1, it turns out that he only exists in the PSX version.

When I played Doom for the first time on the SNES version (pity me), I somehow interpreted the level layouts entirely differently. I somehow never noticed the windows in E1M1 and thought that the start room completely revolved around the recessed carpeted area and not only a horseshoe bend. I thought I was really clever when I turned left into the armor room (yeah right), thinking that most players never noticed the area.

First few times on E1M3, I ran right into the nukage pit several times, but kept dying very quickly. I thought it was only the monsters doing that to me and that I just had to run to a door somewhere in the pit first. I also thought that such a door might go under the surrounding floor, not yet understanding the engine's spacial nature. Later on I somehow thought that the tall and narrow hall containing the lift next to the secret exit trigger exit was a maze.

To be fair, I was generally new to FPSes and the SNES version of Doom had horrible visibility. I generally couldn't tell where the nukage was, since it was just a solid color like the rest of the floors. I think they should seriously have made the damaging floors glow.

Rez said:

[blink] Which demo was coop? I don't remember any coop?! or have I just not watched them in too many years??

I can't remember if we had just Doom shareware or Ultimate Doom but it was a demo of e1m5.

Ah. I had D1 1.2 and 1.9, D2 1.666 and 1.9, and FD 1.9 in my collection (as acquired). But not 1.6. Now I feel deprived. <g>

Reading I think the official Doom FAQ, I thought Arch-viles had a BFG and that Revenants could resurrect dead monsters.

I played PSX Doom before I even knew about PC Doom, so I expected a Super Shotgun in the game. Kept pressing 4 and wondering why it wasn't taking me to the SSG a instead the Chaingun.

I always thought the E1M3 building on the intermission screen was E1M1. The E1M3 building reminds me of the zig-zag room with the Imp on the higher platform in E1M1, so I was thinking "we're coming back to this level?"

To install Doom (Vanilla Doom), I thought you had to type in all of those actions that you see in the command box-like window when opening up Doom.exe.

There is this Key FAQ on GameFAQs for Doom that I read a lot. For E4M1, it said to "push the torch" to get to the Blue Key. I didn't know he was talking about the spacebar, and so I thought "there's now physical pushing in the episode 4 levels?" He then used the same "push" term for E4M8 to get the Red Key, reinforcing my false belief.

This Key FAQ also mentioned in a level like E4M9 "There will be a Blue Key when Spectres fly". I didn't know he was joking, so I thought you'd see the Blue Key fall out of the sky. The reason for this is because in Doom 64, some enemies you see spawn appear right out of the sky and fall to the ground (Level 23, for instance, when getting the Blue Key), so I thought he was referring to that.

And to follow up, I've never forgiven that Key FAQ for being completely useless in E3M6 and E3M7. In E3M6, he told me the Blue Key is in the "Y-shaped structure" without ever telling me how to get into that building, or that the teleporter leading up to it was behind a hidden wall. And E3M7 for never specifically saying how to get the Red Key. Left me wandering around these levels for what seemed like an eternity.

For whatever reason I thought there was a Baron of Hell or two hiding in the E2M2 crate maze, which made me scared to play the level on higher skill levels.

Of course, the classic misconception of the clear wall in the yellow secret in E1M3 on SNES version where I could swear that clear wall had a red key border around it.

Also, when I was a kid I could get to the end of E1 but I could never kill the Barons. When I was in high school, one of my friends who was first to get a computer got Final Doom, and reading the manual I figured the badass cyberdemon must've been those guys at the end of that episode I couldn't kill. A few years later when I got a computer and finally got my own copy of the game I found out the real deal.

Doominator2 said:

That reminds me of the "golden imp" my friend told me about that could climb up walls, run really fast and no clip thru walls. I've spent a month trying to find it until I've given up.

For some reason I want to try and design a monster like that now...I kind've figured this was how the canceled "nightmare imp" from PSX DooM would behave.

I remember my friends brother playing a wad that he was going through tunnels and bodies, exploded kind, were falling from the ceiling (or they popped up in front of him?) this would have been a 90s wad

Flesh420 said:

I always thought that randomly another marine would enter the level and help

Haha, that would have been so cool... Kinda like the Mysterious Stranger in Fallout 3...

My first DOOM box (with Doom v1.2) ran DRDOS 6.0, which apparently had it in for DOOM... DRDOS really did NOT like the DOS4GW memory manager. On the larger maps that apparently corrupted stuff, leading to maps being randomly mixed up (walls and hallways where they didn't belong, doors and switches missing, etc). This kinda permanently confused my idea of how to find my way around Ep2, which was the most affected.

I thought Archviles could resurrect dead marines into zombies...

The dead zombie must have been behind the marine corpse though as it doesn't actually do that.

Ugh. I have one. When I got to the end of Episode 3 when I was 9. I couldn't stop starring at the beheaded head of Daisy (which I thought it was a deer with bullet holes in its neck and a missing eye). Yes, I was that frightened.

*shudder* Dear gods.

Over that now thankfully.

FireFish said:

When doom was still capapble of being considered reasonable graphics (just before quake, and just after) i never noticed how pixelated it looked.
It was quite odd when i played it again years later and having to admit that because of how graphics evolved, it now clearly is pixelated.
From the moment you have seen better the old stuff suddenly looks realy ancient, but before that you never seem to notice anything.

It was less of an issue back then because we used 320x200 and CRT monitors that usually didn't have perfectly crisp pixels.

I vaguely remember something.

When I was 9, I had the shareware version of Heretic. A few days after beating E1M8, Iremeber dreaming that I was playing it (I only saw the screen.) I remember looking on the automap and seeing "E999M999 - ?????????????". There was a sprite of a weird girl in front of me when I entered a wooden area. Ihad a crossbow and full ammo. There was an outer area I went into. Lots of gargoyles were there and when I turned left I saw a switch. I pressed it and the girl sprite was attacking me! All of my Quartz Flasks were used up, when I had 1HP, she pushed me off the switch cliff, killing me.

Another few times (Doom), I started playing Half-Life and Doom 3. I dreamed that I had a game "Half-Doom", which crossed over doom 3's enemies with Half-Life. Man, seeing that pinky come out of that crate I was sniping on... *shivers*

These dreams of mine just get more interesting... there's too many to list, to be honest. I only remember "Heretic Girl", "Half-Doom" and a few I didn't list...

Xaser said:

I still to this day get ultra-confused when I fire up The Pit and happen to glimpse that the roof of the tall starting sector isn't sky. @_@

You know, I was certain The Pit was supposed to have a lot more sky as well. I'm sure there's a map similar to The Pit that does but I wouldn't be able to find it.

Rez said:

Can someone explain this to me?

It's called a glide. That space is exactly 32 units wide, and Doomguy is 32 units wide. It's an extremely tight fit but it works. It's relatively tame though, I don't think it's doing anything that involves quirky engine behavior, unlike, say, a grab or a void glide, you just have to be perfectly aligned.

Rez said:

My first DOOM box (with Doom v1.2) ran DRDOS 6.0, which apparently had it in for DOOM... DRDOS really did NOT like the DOS4GW memory manager. On the larger maps that apparently corrupted stuff, leading to maps being randomly mixed up (walls and hallways where they didn't belong, doors and switches missing, etc). This kinda permanently confused my idea of how to find my way around Ep2, which was the most affected.

Woah, are there videos/images of this anywhere?

Marnetmar said:

Woah, are there videos/images of this anywhere?

Sadly, no (this was before I realised you could do screenshots) but it was very strange. Sometimes the map would still work and sometimes you'd get stuck.

One day I called tech support and the guy on the other end (I think at the time id was contracting to individuals, the guy was definitely not a pro) said he had no idea WTF but he wished his DOOM would do that!

Akira_98 said:It's called a glide. That space is exactly 32 units wide, and Doomguy is 32 units wide. It's an extremely tight fit but it works. It's relatively tame though, I don't think it's doing anything that involves quirky engine behavior, unlike, say, a grab or a void glide, you just have to be perfectly aligned.

Huh. I'll have to try it next time I go through one of those maps...

So what the heck are a grab and a void glide? You young'uns with your newfangled terminology! :)

Joe667 said:

( (...)and am now making my imaginary false level into a real level).

Same goes here. Back then in 2009, after just experiencing The Plutonia Experiment, maybe under the effect of its MAP26, Doom II MAP19, UD E4M3, E4M9 and partially E3M3 and my first mapping experiences with DBII, along with a letargic feeling given by a "near-love experience-esque failed friendship" with a girl (maybe too much info), so, I've dreamt about a level which was essentially light gray and had many water channels and aquaducts under wooden square arcs and it looked like a weird fusion of a populated village and a hydropower plant en plain air. Given that I didn't know about ZDoom and other ports beforehead that made slants and conveyor belts possible, I thought realising this level would be near impossible, since it had both of them - or did I have just an ability of precognitivity instead of my imagination running extremely wild in my own dreams? Damn knows.

Not really a Doom memory, but I'll share the story none the less. I've got my own PC in about '95 and it came with preinstalled Doom 1, Doom 2 and Heretic. I played this games to death, and in '96 my dad brought a CD of Quake.

I remember in my first play I ran around, swam through some sort of underwater tunnels and surfaced in a tiny room with a lone grunt in it.
I don't remember meeting any other monster before that, and that angry rectangular soldier terrified me beyond belief.
I shut the game down, and played it again only 3 years later. I was 8 at the time. When I played the game later I couldn't find anything similar in any of the game levels.

Rez said:

So what the heck are a grab and a void glide? You young'uns with your newfangled terminology! :)

I'll try to explain this though I'm not the guy to do it, most likely. Take it with a a pinch or twenty of salt, I'm sure somebody else here will be perfectly happy to correct me though. ;P

A grab is a trick that has been around for a long time. The most well-known one I can think of is the Doom 2 map01 plasma grab in deathmatch. You more-or-less run into the platform, and for a moment the game believes you're actually in/on the platform and gives you the plasma gun. It works the same way for pretty much every grab. A void glide works the same way, in that you run at a corner or wall or some such thing in such a way that for a moment, the game believes you're somewhere inside the wall, and when it goes to correct it, it puts you outside the wall rather than in-bounds. I only know one and heard of one other.

Part of the error is that Doom is a 2D game. A highly upgrade type of 2D game but 2D none the less.

Because of that, it depends (basing on Game Maker collision).I a few pixels touch an object, the game will think you actually meant to grab it and grant it to you.

As for wall squeezing, its a cheat xD

My main false memory was seeing fellow Marines dying in Map15 of Doom II. Not just finding their corpses, but seeing the actual death animation, like I'd seen from the ending. Made me go on a "you killed my friends!" rampage on the demons.

And before anyone asks, I'm quite certain I never played multiplayer back then.

Akira_98 said: A grab is a trick that has been around for a long time. The most well-known one I can think of is the Doom 2 map01 plasma grab in deathmatch. You more-or-less run into the platform, and for a moment the game believes you're actually in/on the platform and gives you the plasma gun. It works the same way for pretty much every grab.

I wonder if that's the same as I've noticed that if you hit Use as you attempt to snag something that's just beyond normal reach, it's like you have a tish more reach and can often get hold of it.

I don't do DM so I never hear these tricks named. I live in a cave. :P~

Akira_98 said: A void glide works the same way, in that you run at a corner or wall or some such thing in such a way that for a moment, the game believes you're somewhere inside the wall, and when it goes to correct it, it puts you outside the wall rather than in-bounds. I only know one and heard of one other.

I wonder if that's what causes a person to get stuck sometimes in a narrow spot -- if you can walk in you should be able to back out, but nope, sometimes you get stuck, and it acts like you're actually stuck in the wall.

Fellowzdoomer said:

I vaguely remember something.

When I was 9, I had the shareware version of Heretic. A few days after beating E1M8, Iremeber dreaming that I was playing it (I only saw the screen.) I remember looking on the automap and seeing "E999M999 - ?????????????". There was a sprite of a weird girl in front of me when I entered a wooden area. Ihad a crossbow and full ammo. There was an outer area I went into. Lots of gargoyles were there and when I turned left I saw a switch. I pressed it and the girl sprite was attacking me! All of my Quartz Flasks were used up, when I had 1HP, she pushed me off the switch cliff, killing me.

Another few times (Doom), I started playing Half-Life and Doom 3. I dreamed that I had a game "Half-Doom", which crossed over doom 3's enemies with Half-Life. Man, seeing that pinky come out of that crate I was sniping on... *shivers*

These dreams of mine just get more interesting... there's too many to list, to be honest. I only remember "Heretic Girl", "Half-Doom" and a few I didn't list...

I forgot one I have to share.

I was 23 when I got Skulltag. After seeing the Belphegor, I dreamed I was in this house (my house.) and that I had to follow a person around. I remember something held me still for about 10 seconds. When I looked out the window, the sky was blood red and a few seconds later ... I guess it was a centaur - Belphegor top, black baron\horselike legs on bottom. It glared at me and shot 3 fast Baron Balls at me, I was unable to dodge them...

I wish the sprites for Centaur Belphegor actually existed, though...

(Not sure if centaur is the right name. I think centaurs have half a human on top and horse legs on bottom.)