Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kildeth

NOVA II: New Dawn - First status report in November | Still open for mappers!

tourniquet said:

Depends on the final map order but players will at leat be able to find a BFG in "Surreptitious Ichor"

Well I doubt that map is going to be the only one with the BFG, but hey, continuous will always be the exception to design in a mapset. I'm hoping we get some shorter E3 episodes down the pipeline, because the four maps we have for it already eat up a decent chunk of the player's time. The hell theme tends to bring out the grandeur in mapper's ambitions, but hopefully we can have some newbies tone it down.

Hi all, haven't looked at Doomworld for a couple of weeks as I've just finished uni and have been taking a break from everything but I'll be sure to check updates and release an alpha compilation of the works thus far when I'm ready for it. I haven't disappeared. :)

Accroding to the OP the project has more than 20 maps.
And some of the maps are unlisted, we still need MAP30 and 32.
I have a concept for an IOS batlle. It'll involve the player lowering an unclimbable "staircase" that gets monsters summoned upon it, when the staircase lowers completely, it'll reveal a lift, you'll have to kill all the monsters before you can shoot the brain.
I'll work on it tommorow.

@Jaxxoon_R - Sure it is.

Hope everyone had a good holidays. Listen guys, things in my life are changing at the moment and it looks like I won't have much time to spend on Doom projects. I hate to say it but I think I'll have to take a break for awhile as I don't want to suck at leading a project I don't have time for. :P

Best of luck guys and I hope to play a completed NOVA II someday when I've got more free time again.

- kildeth.

Sad to hear kildeth, but hopefully whatever is going on in your real life is working out for you.

So I guess I'm the project leader again? If someone wants the position they could take it, but people seem to be shy about spearheading these things, so I wouldn't mind the position. I have some time today so even if I'm not project lead, I can at least collate the maps we have done so far into an alpha.

I like how the title says "First status report in November" when it's already the end of december.
EDIT: Maybe I can even take the leading position.

Heyo, that was quick! Download NOVA2_A here. Only maps not added are anamia and Unnatural Selection as neither are compatible with the project as of now. Also, the maps are in a semi-random order so there's some blank maps inbetween them. List is as follows:

MAP01 "Panic Station" by cannonball
MAP02 _____
MAP03 "Joe's Facility" by joe-ilya
MAP04 7hm's map
MAP05 "Andromeda Sun" by Getsu Fine
MAP06 _____
MAP07 Jmickle's map
MAP08 mrthejoshmon's map
MAP09 _____
MAP10 _____
MAP11 _____
MAP12 "Red Morning Light" by SFoZ911
MAP13 "Brick Trick Break" by joe-ilya
MAP14 _____
MAP15 _____
MAP16 _____
MAP17 _____
MAP18 "Monuments to Thieves" by Egregor
MAP19 _____
MAP20 _____
MAP21 "Zebetite" by tourniquet
MAP22 "Killing Fields" by joe-ilya
MAP23 "Vindaloo Chronicles" by cannonball
MAP24 _____
MAP25 _____
MAP26 "Surreptitious Ichor" by cannonball & dobu gabu maru
MAP27 _____
MAP28 _____
MAP29 _____ ("anamia" goes here ideally)
MAP30 _____
MAP31 "Earthquake" by joe-ilya
MAP32 _____

Sweet, dobu takes the lead i'm more than glad about that.
Let's hope to get some more mappers aboard soon.

I'm a bit sceptical about putting 'Zebetite' into E3 since it's not really a hellish map. I dont mind adjusting the dificulty for an earlier position if necessary.
Otherwise i'm fine with the current map order.

As for 'Anaemia' i'm about halfway trough with converting it to LR, think i can wrap it up during the next 2 weeks.

Since I'm technically a new mapper, I wouldn't mind making a map for this project. I could do with a break from my vanilla project anyway. Do I pick a map slot myself or have one assigned?

joe-ilya said:

My map's name is actually "killing fieldS" and "EARTHquake"

I don't think you can do upper and lower case in the doom engine, I have tried and it didn't change the letters.

4 joe-ilya maps on the maplist so far.....I'm not exactly happy to see that to be honest, are there not other mappers' contributions that could be added to prevent one person hogging multiple slots on the project?

Suitepee said:

4 joe-ilya maps on the maplist so far.....I'm not exactly happy to see that to be honest, are there not other mappers' contributions that could be added to prevent one person hogging multiple slots on the project?

I agree but I am obviously not exactly a fan of Joe-ilya maps. I think it may be lack of peoples interest into this project that has so little mappers taking up slots (Or general procrastination?).

Anyway, I was working on a map for TNT: Project Geryon (Which the project just died because I am a terrible leader who should stick to WOOO) that I could possibly give you guys (Providing the texture pack actually has the required TNT textures).

Of all 4 joe-ilya maps 'Brick Trick Break' is the only one i would call a good submission, also probably one of his most interesting efforts.

Map31 was by far the most unappealing of all, extremely sluggish.

tourniquet said:

Of all 4 joe-ilya maps 'Brick Trick Break' is the only one i would call a good submission, also probably one of his most interesting efforts.

Map31 was by far the most unappealing of all, extremely sluggish.

Seriously? Brick trick break is good?! That's wierd, for me it was just more tricks, claustrophobicness and more experiments, while stuff like killing fields and my facility are normal levels without gimmicks.

mrthejoshmon said:

I don't think you can do upper and lower case in the doom engine, I have tried and it didn't change the letters.

I just marked the missing words.

mrthejoshmon said:

(Or general procrastination?).

That + having other things to do = no Nova II map yet.

cannonball said:

In the alpha, the version of Panic station is the first version.

Understood—I'll add it to the next alpha.

Dave The Daring said:

Do I pick a map slot myself or have one assigned?

You can just submit a map and we'll assign it accordingly. Great to have new mappers onboard!

tourniquet said:

I'm a bit sceptical about putting 'Zebetite' into E3

Alright, we can move it to a late E2 slot—as more maps start to come in, the megawad progression will become a bit more clear. Which reminds me that if anyone wants to vie for a specific slot, they can make their case and I'll try to be as accommodating as I can.

Regarding the joe maps, the situation can be a bit prickly. I stated this near the start of the project, but I really believe that we should minimize NOVA vets contributing to the project as much as possible, since this is NOVA II and not NOVA RETURNS. 1-2 maps (or in cb's case, ~2.5 maps) is tolerable but I think we should steer away from anything more than that.

So with joe's case, I do agree that we should probably slim the contributions down to two maps. I feel (along with mrthejoshmon) that Brick Trick Break is his best effort and it would be good to keep, but I'm kind-of iffy on the other three—Earthquake most of all. The only exception to this rule is if we wind up with fewer than 32 maps when the project has essentially run out of steam (this was part of the reason why EvilNed had so many maps in the first project), but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

dobu gabu maru said:

You can just submit a map and we'll assign it accordingly. Great to have new mappers onboard!

Okay, cool. I think I'll make a tech base level. Is it okay if I include half a dozen or so textures from the CC4 pack? They're not essential, but I have come to rely on them recently. I've read the custom texture guidelines, so it shouldn't be too problematic to include them. If you're not keen on the idea though, that's fine too.

I could produce a map for this if you want. I didn't realize until recently that this project was a new mappers thing until johnsuitpee said a few words about it on stream. i just assumed Nova 1 was some popular megawad that i've yet to play and this was the sequel.

I've got solid experience with doombuilder 2 at this point, and can help towards filling your map vacuum if needed.

There are some unfinished maps on my hardrive that are basically just startan2 covered layouts or half-baked concepts. When I start getting bored on working on a map, they get stored in the map freezer. If you'd like, I can take one out of the freezer and throw it into the oven again and bake it into a fresh-baked loaf of map for this project.

i'll try to keep tacky gimmicks and shenanigans to a minimum.