Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kildeth

NOVA II: New Dawn - First status report in November | Still open for mappers!

Impboy4 said:

-Replaced all unknown/missing textures with stock

Don't worry about changing the missing textures if they are in the nova texture pack, I just forgot to run that with your map so i saw HOMS instead.

Remember when I said I lost interest in this little project? No? Well, I've decided to pick up an unfinished limit removing map of mine and finish it for this project. The blue sky is only a placeholder because I don't really like doom 2's brown sky.

Map name - "Hop 2 It!"

Build time - originally started a year ago, picked up and finished in around 2 - 3 days.

MIDI - "Pistons" by James "Jimmy" Paddock

Download

Feedback appreciated.

Good stuff Breezeep. I was sad to see it was so short, although it gave me the idea that perhaps we could finish each episode with a death exit, as this map is a really nice E2 opener from pistol start. Also good work messing around with vertical diversity in the map too.

Only thing I felt was bad was the HK that instantly pops up past the BK door--the HK is pretty ineffective solo and I think it's best to avoid the instant popup whenever you can. Replacing him with a rev that teleports in as soon as the door is raised would be a bit more dynamic (and maybe two sergeants by his side?)

Breezeep said:

Map name - "Hop 2 It!"

Download

Feedback appreciated.

FDA - notice the vertically misplaced shellbox near the BK lift switch. Short, but nice classic-style map, it seems to be your comfortable style, isn't it? Impressive, keep it up! There wasn't really anything I did mind, aside from the shellbox bug of course.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I kinda feel comfortable making short and sweet maps like this. Anyways, here's a revision of Hop 2 it: Click Me

Just a quick update on the status of my map..

It's been nearly a week since I started. As you can see, there's a lot more work to do, but I'm making progress. Hopefully I'll have something playable soon..

Cool map Breezeep i only wish it would be a bit bigger but i like Dobu's idea to use this as an E2 opener in combination with a death exit.

@Dave: Good good, interesting layout so far.

Breezeep said:

Map name - "Hop 2 It!"

Build time - originally started a year ago, picked up and finished in around 2 - 3 days.

MIDI - "Pistons" by James "Jimmy" Paddock

Download

Feedback appreciated.

Heh, that was a cute little map. Heres a FDA I recorded:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/8c1h77pybjdt71a/hop2it-mouldy.lmp

That teleporting rev gave me a surprise, I'm not sure where it went either, maybe one of the other monsters killed it. Nice short skirmish for weapons, would work well in a map01 slot . Visuals look weirdly flat thanks to the low sky, but not a big deal.

I just noticed you posted an update so here's a demo for that:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/sl9a7aj9q360u9y/hop2it_a-mouldy.lmp
featuring some terrible infighting. I'd agree with the others that it really needs to be a pistol starter.

dobu gabu maru said:

Good stuff Breezeep. I was sad to see it was so short, although it gave me the idea that perhaps we could finish each episode with a death exit, as this map is a really nice E2 opener from pistol start. Also good work messing around with vertical diversity in the map too.

Do you want me to put a death exit at the end of the level or will another level have the death exit?

I've been thinking about this project for a while as it has been mentioned to me by several people when I stream or am watching some runs.

My main concern was that there are a lot more mappers listed than map slots. I can't tell who has a work in progress and just hasn't posted yet and also what classifies as an experienced mapper.

Is it the skill level of your work or how much varied content you have that is part of public projects? So far I have one map for The 2014 Mega Project, one small map for Speedmapping Session #2 and some other work that is not public yet.

Pinchy said:

My main concern was that there are a lot more mappers listed than map slots.

This is something that really isn't an issue until we get close to the end of development; you can see that most of the names on the list haven't popped up again with a finished map. I'll probably work on throwing up a new thread today just so we can keep current with our developments and clear up some of the confusion.

As per your other questions, the criteria on what makes a mapper fit for the project is really loose. Generally, if you think or feel that you are a "newbie" mapper, you can contribute to the megawad. There may be technical issues with this, like if you have >15 maps already published on the archives (thus nulling your "newbieness"), but otherwise it's fair game.