Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

Martial Arts are Devil Worship!

This just in: fundies think that any religion that isn't Judeo-Christian is automatically satanic, not recognizing that different cultures in isolation form different religions. More at 11.

Being Judeo-Christian is not enough, since the USA have plenty of Protestant sects arguing that the Catholic Church is a tool of the Devil, the Whore of Babylon, and that the Pope is the Antichrist. Other old churches (Orthodox, Coptic, etc.) are generally ignored but when they know about them, they lump them with the Catholics as a Devil church.

Generally, any sect that believes magic is real can be considered a bunch of delusional looneys.

Aren't martial art dojos full of money-grabbing nobodies posing as sensei? The OP text is too long, but I'd assume the church wants to prevent parents from sending kids to useless martial art trainings.

Stop posting printz, if you couldn't read the OP, there's no way you could understand a full martial art training of 6 months. Thanks.

Churches don't give a fuck except about the spirituality and participation of their members in the tenants of the religion. Martial arts don't teach anything about spirituality, they teach mind over matter, the mind how to control the body, how to display respect toward other human beings and live as you want others to treat you.

printz said:

The OP text is too long, but I'd assume the church wants to prevent parents from sending kids to useless martial art trainings.

They are, but for the wrong reasons. The short on it is that they're claiming that since these martial arts have their origins in far-eastern religions that it promotes devil worship or some bullshit. They say that taking any lessons from nature or attempting to meditate is somehow satanic.

ITT: People thinking the OP is based on a (US) catholic opinion while it's in fact some Iranian Farsi Christian ramblings

What's new here? Why is only that one article highlighted, when in fact the whole website is just as looney? Why does the OP not have any opinion on the article?

@Marnetmar

trying to find the satire....

still trying to find the satire....

STILL trying to find the satire....

goddammit, this one is legit isn't it? ugh, you know, this could have made a pretty good the onion article, but no, it's legit. stop making my religion look bad dammit.

That person lives with his head in his ass, and his words are like sounds of flatulence.

I call bullshit on martial arts being the tool of the devil. The author of that garbage-propaganda link should answer to this guy! Then again, he does die eventually :(

I've heard a lot of tirades about how everything and the cat was "satanic" by "religion teachers" at school (usually, loser types with a worthless degree on theology, who managed to land a secure-for-life job in education), but not about martial arts. I wonder how they missed such an easy target, with them being rooted in eastern religions and all.

But now that I think about it, that would've actually been considered acceptable -eastern religions are recognized and deemed "respectable" in Orthodoxy. For something to be "satanic" it must be outright pagan or a clear quackery/cult.

As much as I'd like to take that article seriously, I just can't.

I'd love to contradict the author, but it's so terrible that it defeats its own purpose.

Y'know, for a force of good these (crazy minorities of) religious people do hate a lot.

I don't even remember Satan doing any kung fu in the Bible, or really anything of much importance at all. Doesn't the story go that he just fought God, got his ass beat, and then began fucking around with people ever since then?

Seems more like a big douche than the epitome of evil.

Could this be satanist propaganda disguised as something else? Being possessed by a demon starts sounding pretty neat if it means you get to do awesome jump kicks.

They're mad backwards people who think it's the dark ages, and that devil mongering would improve themselves and/or the society. Of course all people are so stubborn that once their minds are set on something, it's hard to convince them there's a better way. And then when finally they're on that better way, they might still be so stubborn to realise it's not the only way, and that there's always room for improvement.

But thanks to this article, I ended up reading about Jeet Kune Do, Bruce Lee and what he thought about martial arts from the wikipedia.

Also you can do awesome jump kicks without being possessed by a demon... just practice and practice, and keep practicing.

Quasar said:

Why don't they make their own Jeebus/God-based martial arts then, and STFU?

The closest there's to that, in the Bible, is the point where Jesus grabs a big stick and chases the merchans out of the temple.

What's with all this "such-and-such is a tool of the devil" bullshit that keeps going? Where did this notion even come from, that the devil is out there tricking and manipulating people in such a manner? I mean, in the Bible, the closest I can think of to the devil doing anything of that nature is in the Book of Job, wherein Satan torments Job with various plagues and whatnot to see if he would renounce his belief in God. But I don't see how that leads to, "The devil created martial arts as a way of tricking people away from God." It's like some people think that if an activity doesn't involved constantly praising God for everything, it must be the work of the devil - because any life that isn't 100% devoted to praising God for every tiny little thing is evil.

Actually, there's another "Christian" martial art, where you put on an iron shirt and chase Satan off da earth:

Jesus Maes, when you find something you like to post you really run with it don't you?