Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Doom on the Oculus Rift

You know the facecam trend is out of hand when people start using it even with devices that cover their entire face.

Hahaha Phml. :)
But honestly, to me it was somewhat interesting to see how the player moving his head affects the game. So I think the facecam in this video is way more useful than in most let's plays.

Top rated video comment with 8 likes:

Boogey Loogey - "You need to play this with the Brutal Doom mod, it ramps up the action and gore by like ten fold!"

Right.

DooM_RO said:

This + Doom Ascension = awesome.

By the way, I'm still very interested in any feedback you have that might help me improve GZ3Doom. I've released many improved versions over the past 8 months, mostly based on feedback from players.

Looks like he was using a software render, because he couldn't seem to be able to look straight up or down, even when he tried. Even so, I need to get my Oculus Rift to play with.

Clonehunter said:

Looks like he was using a software render, because he couldn't seem to be able to look straight up or down, even when he tried. Even so, I need to get my Oculus Rift to play with.

No, that's definitely GZ3Doom. I recognize the intermission screen glitch, and Doomsday Rift mode does not have that sort of weapon sprite. Watch again at around 2:30-2:40; he looks nearly straight up, then nearly straight down.

Looking straight up or down actually works rather well. That's something I struggled with when I was working on correcting the aspect ratio in the Rift.

Just got my development kit 2 in the mail today. Seems like i have everything running fine; The demos work well.

However, when I run gz3doom, I do not even get a blue light, it remains orange. Moreover, when I look into the goggles, all I see is a double-skewed image of my desktop.

I have typed in vr_mode 8 into the console command, but despite it working on my monitor, it does not change anything about the rift.

I have tried both display modes as well.

If someone could tell me what I need to do to get it working, it would be most appreciated.

Jeez, the concept of tilting my head left and right in Doom is way more awesome than I thought it would be... REALLY want a oculus rift now! Imagine this thing in Momento Mori... Or even DEATHMATCH! *gets a little too excited*

Kontra, I had the same problem. It's configured for DK1, not DK2. I think the author is waiting for a DK2, hopefully then support will be added. Can't wait to try Doom in VR, though I imagine the movement speed will be sickening. I've tried Quake2 and it's great.

Captain Toenail said:

Kontra, I had the same problem. It's configured for DK1, not DK2. I think the author is waiting for a DK2, hopefully then support will be added. Can't wait to try Doom in VR, though I imagine the movement speed will be sickening. I've tried Quake2 and it's great.

I was able to kind of get it to work, but not well. Since the occulus is recognized as a second monitor, I put Doom in windows mode, and dragged it to the second screen. I tried my best to get it as even as possible, but its really not ideal by any means. In fullscreen mode, the image shifts to side, thus skewing its position on the screen, when you turn of the oculus. I had it pretty good at one point, but it started to bother my eyes quickly, since it wasn't even.

At any rate, its reassuring that the reason is just because it hasn't been configured for DK2 yet. I was getting frustrated with it. I hope the author makes a new version soon, because there's plenty of wad I would love to try out with a VR headset.

I tried out the demo, and the virtual house by the sea. I was pretty impressed with it. Tomorrow I'm going to purchase Alien Isolation. That with the Oculus should be incredible!

Vermil said:

Doomsday 1.15 unstable builds have somesupport for DK2 (and full support for DK1).

However, it is my understanding that there are a few small glitches still to address. Obviously, not having access to an Oculus Rift, I couldn't say how big those issues are.

http://www.dengine.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1866&p=12600#p12600

Thanks!

I will check it out when I get home from work.

Also, I was thinking about making a wad that is specifically made for the VR experience in mind. Perhaps I could make a survival-horror using resources from my Aliens:The Ultimate Doom TC. I would make it super dark, where you would have to use flares or a flashlight. I would like to create something that will really inspire a sense of dread in the player.

This is awesome! The concept of moving your head to look around in game is a cool. However, I really question the effectiveness of this VS source ports like Zdoom,Zandronum etc. in terms of actual game-play.

I guess what I'm trying to say is Doom would be awesome to play using Oculus Rift but you'll play a lot better using your PC and mouse look.

Just a little bump. I finally got round to using the Rift with Doomsday, but I have a problem. The head tracking is inverted. When I look up, the view goes down, look left, view goes right. Any idea how to sort this?

We've not had any reports about inverted head tracking before. The Doomsday wiki has an article on How to use Oculus Rift. It may be of some help.

Which OS are you running? Have you tried reseting the tracker (see the aforementioned article)? Is the Rift inverted in any other games?

I've relayed your report to skyjake (who has a Rift for development purposes). I'll post again if he replies with any additional info/help.

Something you might try is inverting your control bindings; add -neg on the end of a bindcontrol command, e.g., bindcontrol lookpitch head-pitch-neg

Zulk-RS said:

This is awesome! The concept of moving your head to look around in game is a cool. However, I really question the effectiveness of this VS source ports like Zdoom,Zandronum etc. in terms of actual game-play.

I guess what I'm trying to say is Doom would be awesome to play using Oculus Rift but you'll play a lot better using your PC and mouse look.

So what, you play on lower difficulty.

Unless you mean multiplayer :O

This looks quite cool, I never paid much attention to Oculus or VR in general.

Mainly because as it is now it looks a bit clunky....if it was something like Forge's visor from Star Trek, that would be cool....but I'm alright with headset VR....you know it's a game, still looks like a game, and you are fine.

I'm scared of what Virtual Reality could become, having the game implanted in your mind or your mind implanted in the game..some sort of scary Matrix crap...no thanks, I wanna stay in this world...one of the reasons VR never really caught on with me. But this sort, this early "wear a funny head set and feel like you're in the game" seems safe enough!

>_>

With Facebook in the game, I can imagine in the future some sort of VR Facebook/Second Life thing with your face scanned-in like the Kinect can do. The thought of that makes me a bit queasy.

Danij, I have had the inverted head tracking in only one other application, and that was Circuit Valencia. Everything else runs as expected.

My OS is Windows7 Home Premium and I was running Doomsday 1.14.5 if that helps.

That is quite freaky sounding....anything that copies my image I wouldn't like either, then there's the whole tracking data off you and using it for whatever.

As long as it stays "primitive" as it is now, I'll be fine with it. Just innocent gaming, that's all I want, the world is getting quite sinister...I don't want that in my games, just wanna shoot pretend demons is all.

Captain Toenail said:

My OS is Windows7 Home Premium and I was running Doomsday 1.14.5 if that helps.

DK1 or DK2?

DK2 is only supported by the 1.15 unstable builds (or higher). DK1 has been supported since 1.13.

http://dengine.net/builds

To explain the term's 'stable', 'unstable' and 'candidate' with regards to Dday:

http://dengine.net/dew/index.php?title=Automated_build_system#Build_types

The way the hub hands show up on the oculust rift is so damn ugly, why can't the hub cover that wierd void between the hub and the hands?

joe-ilya said:

The way the hub hands show up on the oculust rift is so damn ugly, why can't the hub cover that wierd void between the hub and the hands?

What do you mean by hub? I have a DK1, but I have no idea what you're talking about. Is it an issue with the later models?

joe-ilya said:

Is it named 'HUB' then?

No. B and D are clearly different letters. It stands for "heads up display". A hub is a level that serves as a gateway to other levels in an open world setup, like Hexen's portals or Strife's various entrances/exits to other towns and buildings.

Anyway, there's not much that can be done about the gap under the weapons. Given that the Rift is a high FOV device and the sprites themselves only cover ~65 degrees vertically, this gap is inevitable. It can be compensated for by using the extended sprites from the beta version, which can be found in Revenant100's sprite fixing project.