Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Blastfrog

Perspective mapping in column rendered games

So, I was arguing with Maes over IM about the merits of post-processing perspective mapping in column-based software rendered games.

My idea is to draw the software rendered frame to texture on a single rectangular polygon, and show this polygon at different view-pitches at a fixed position. It's applying the exact same concept that skyboxes use to achieve true perspective when the conditions of a stationary viewpoint are met. Maes tells me that this concept is flawed and won't work, but I'm pretty certain that this would give proper perspective.

I know that the argument of "why don't you just use hardware rendering than use a gross hack" will come up, but that's not what this thread is about. Just on principle, wouldn't using a skybox perspective mapping method theoretically work to give proper perspective? Who's the crazy one here?

Sodaholic said:

My idea is to draw the software rendered frame to texture on a single rectangular polygon, and show this polygon at different view-pitches at a fixed position. It's applying the exact same concept that skyboxes use to achieve true perspective when the conditions of a stationary viewpoint are met. Maes tells me that this concept is flawed and won't work, but I'm pretty certain that this would give proper perspective.

I don't know about the math involved but, is this effectively different from what the experimental Delphi Doom does?

Quasar said:

I don't know about the math involved but, is this effectively different from what the experimental Delphi Doom does?

As far as I know it's different. Delphi Doom's looks kind of messed up, and theoretically, my method shouldn't look any different than real perspective.

Think of it like this. Say that our polygon's surface is 1.5 wide and the middle 1.0 covers exactly 90 degrees horizontally (so that's like vanilla's 320 with 80 extra columns extending the view past that default 90 degree 320 area), and the camera's distance from this plane is at exactly 0.5 and is horizontally centered. There should be ample additional vertical FOV as well. From there, you simply change the view-pitch of this external camera.

Best point of reference is a standard skybox in any game that uses them (forget about skydomes or skydrums).