Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Sometimes lighting effects and secrets don't work for some reason

Sometimes when I use lighting effects in Doom builder like "lights flicker randomally" it doesn't work in-game. I have no idea what causes this because most of the time this works just fine, but every now and then when I make a map the effect just doesn't work for some reason. Is this some kind of bug in Doom builder?

EDIT: In fact, secrets don't appear to work either. When I give an area the secret effect in Doom builder 2 in my current map it doesn't work, the the auto-map says there are zero secrets. A bug?

How do you "give an area the secret effect"? Anything else than sector special effect = 9 won't work in vanilla.

vdgg said:

How do you "give an area the secret effect"? Anything else than sector special effect = 9 won't work in vanilla.

I was talking about a sector special effect. It doesn't work for some reason.

The wiki is wrong about sector special type 17 ("random fire flicker"). It actually sets the light level to a random value between the sector's light level and its darkest neighbour's light value at random intervals. As I recall, it does nothing if there is no neighbour with a lower light level.

As for secrets not working, the only thing that can cause this (assuming you've actually set the special type correctly - make sure you haven't accidentally changed it by copy-pasting sector properties, etc) is a linedef action that transfers or clears the sector special type. This includes all of the "raise/lower floor and change texture" types and the donut builders. Don't use these actions on secret sectors unless you're intentionally constructing disappearing secrets to mess with the player.

Foxpup said:

The wiki is wrong about sector special type 17 ("random fire flicker"). It actually sets the light level to a random value between the sector's light level and its darkest neighbour's light value at random intervals. As I recall, it does nothing if there is no neighbour with a lower light level.

As for secrets not working, the only thing that can cause this (assuming you've actually set the special type correctly - make sure you haven't accidentally changed it by copy-pasting sector properties, etc) is a linedef action that transfers or clears the sector special type. This includes all of the "raise/lower floor and change texture" types and the donut builders. Don't use these actions on secret sectors unless you're intentionally constructing disappearing secrets to mess with the player.

Nope I did nothing of the sorts and it still doesn't work. Perhaps I should just upload the map so you can see what's wrong?

That would be helpful, yes. Be sure to also post the sector numbers of the sectors in question, to avoid wasting time searching for them.