Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

COD hate: Can someone fill me in?

I played it once. Black Ops 2 or something. Besides being boring, I'm not sure what riles people up about it. Fill me in, why don't ya!

Played Modern Warfare 2. It's boring too.

I guess the 'hate' stems from frustration that so many mongs consider it the holy grail of FPS.

On its own, it's fairly insignificant. The hate comes from the idea that virtually every FPS since its release has pretty much copied the CoD formula.

For me, personally, it's mostly these that I have a problem with:

1. The awful and bland design "inspiring" other developers to copy CoD's mechanics merely because the game (surprisingly) sells well, as opposed to coming up with their own design that might be more fun. It is their fault for deciding to copy, but at least in the 90's everyone was copying good games like Doom and Quake. Now even id themselves (though in name only) follow trends instead of setting them.
2. The awful playerbase that trash talk in the most immature ways possible over mic chat, and claim that any game that require more than two braincells sucks. They're not willing to give any non-CoD-like game a chance. One of my cousins (who I find to be an annoying brat in general) can't navigate for shit in games and literally couldn't find the red keycard in E1M2 on his own, and declared Doom to be a bad game.
3. The oversimplified US-centric warmongering themes in many of its plots, being very arrogant and self-important, with complete disregard for the negative impacts of their actions (much like its zealous playerbase).

I played MW2 too and it was boring indeed.
And i hate COD because every year it's the same: new guns, maps and the godawful gameplay which frustates me a lot.
People need to stop playing those games and play something much better like Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Quake, Duke3D, Shadow Warrior, Blood and so on...
I just friggin' hate COD, because thanks to MW, it's hard to find good FPS games because they have linear maps and that regeneration thing of COD and i don't like that.

Sodaholic said:

For me, personally, it's mostly these that I have a problem with:

1. The awful and bland design "inspiring" other developers to copy CoD's mechanics merely because the game (surprisingly) sells well, as opposed to coming up with their own design that might be more fun. It is their fault for deciding to copy, but at least in the 90's everyone was copying good games like Doom and Quake. Now even id themselves (though in name only) follow trends instead of setting them.
2. The awful playerbase that trash talk in the most immature ways possible over mic chat, and claim that any game that require more than two braincells sucks. They're not willing to give any non-CoD-like game a chance. One of my cousins (who I find to be an annoying brat in general) can't navigate for shit in games and literally couldn't find the red keycard in E1M2 on his own, and declared Doom to be a bad game.
3. The oversimplified US-centric warmongering themes in many of its plots, being very arrogant and self-important, with complete disregard for the negative impacts of their actions (much like its zealous playerbase).

Me too.
1.True, that must stop.
2.Another reason to hate COD.
3.I hate that.
In the end everything you mentioned is right.
I agree with you, however i doubt it will stop.

If COD didn't dominate the FPS landscape, and if every other FPS in existence didn't try to imitate COD, I don't think the hate would be so prevalent. There are plenty of shitty games out there - it's when your shitty game starts influencing other shitty games that it really becomes a problem.

geekmarine said:

If COD didn't dominate the FPS landscape, and if every other FPS in existence didn't try to imitate COD, I don't think the hate would be so prevalent. There are plenty of shitty games out there - it's when your shitty game starts influencing other shitty games that it really becomes a problem.

This reminds me of the same stuff Counter-Strike used to get. Yeah, CS made tactical shooters a thing - but its pride was in being that nothing else was quite like it- but now the CoD series took what made CS unique and (I'm quoting from previous discussions about this from my head) dumbed it down by making it super easy and accessible to squeakers. And in a way, they're right, because a seasoned CS player can mop the floor with CoD players, just like the Q3A players did with the Halo players.

Sodaholic pretty much summarized majority of how I feel about Call of Duty. I hate how the games are changing gaming. The auto health regen and two weapon limit severally creates a very low skill ceiling. Take your average COD player and make them play doom, they would get their asses kicked. Far too many games these days take the lazy way out by making it like Call of duty, as in the two weapon limit and auto health regen. As for the fanbase, it's shit. Kids in middle school wanna join the military so they can "Own n00bs" like they do in call of duty. They think they'll be some badass hero when they don't know war is hell and they most likely won't be the same person again. I've seen call of duty fans think they're some gun expert because they play call of duty. Also, a lot of call of duty fans will insult any game that isn't a hand holder like COD. so yeah, that's my two cents.

Well, me and my brothers think the CoD series is great. Particularly anything objective-based they let you do split-screen co-op on, like MW3 spec ops, plus the Zombies or Survival modes in everything since W@W (which also had the master stroke of letting you do the full campaign that way). Get some mates in and 4-player split-screen FFA is a lot of fun, with the relatively low skill ceiling on consoles making it accessible even when some players have experience.

Then again, split-screen co-op made Aliens: Colonial Marines a blast for us too (particularly as difficulty amusingly doesn't scale, so the hardest difficulty was pretty manageable). Shit's just fun to play with people and pretty reliable to get working and quick to set up too. AFAIC the whinging is because people just don't like something that they're not fans of being so popular. If it wasn't CoD and it's closest competitors being so dominant, it'd just be something else "everybody" online hates for the popularity/community, as the internet is full of very vocal small groups that echo chamber constantly.

My view on the CoD series isn't about the game, but that the developers have entered the same shit the Super Smash Bros. developers have run into: a large group of super-serial tourneyfags that won't stop bitching about the game, but keep playing it anyway, release after release. It's a game to have fun in with your dudes, not to be some total fucknugget worrying about a K/D ratio, gamerscore and e-peen. People that do that are cast in the same moulds from those idiots that ruined so many TF/CS servers back in the day.

Sodaholic said:

2. The awful playerbase that trash talk in the most immature ways possible over mic chat, and claim that any game that require more than two braincells sucks. They're not willing to give any non-CoD-like game a chance.

You think these kinds of behaviors and attitudes didn't exist back when q2 was the game to play or not become commonplace when it was all out internet war between cs/ut/q3 players?

It's just more of the same crap since MW1, which was the only one I played and which was enjoyable before they started milking it to death with this Modern Military Shooter nonsense.

Advanced Warfare looks like more of the same, just like Battlefield Hardline is to Battlefield 4 but only with a new skin/motif to try and draw in Payday fans.

Quast said:

You think these kinds of behaviors and attitudes didn't exist back when q2 was the game to play or not become commonplace when it was all out internet war between cs/ut/q3 players?

I never said that this kind of stuff hasn't occurred before. 2 out of 3 of those games that you just mentioned are arena shooters, and CS is still faster paced than CoD, no iron sights, and no regen health. My primary concerns are with players who think that anything that doesn't hold their hand for every little thing is bad game design.

I shit you not that there are players that can't even navigate Hangar on their own, because there aren't objective markers and points of no return to keep them from getting lost. They often just stand there soaking up damage without even trying to dodge. They mash buttons at loading screens despite the fact that it won't make it load any faster. I realize that this probably doesn't apply to every CoD player, but it seems like the majority, and I am not exaggerating when I say they're this bad at games.

CoD fanboys have no attention span, patience or intelligence.

The problem is that the CoD community is filled with ignorant kids that have zero respect for older, quality games like Doom. They have absolutely no idea what makes good game design because they are so used to "roller-coaster" guided campaigns. It's almost like comparing a Michael Bay Transformers movie to Terminator 2: Judgment Day (the former being all explosions and little substance.) The CoD mentality is essentially "gimme flashy effects and amazing graphics. If not, GTFO it must be bad."

It's a game that in itself stopped being good a long time ago that consumes everything around it. It has devoured every other type of shooter because developers continue to mimic it to make what they assume to be an assured profit.

The reason they feel they have to do this is because the industry is a bloated mess with ever increasing budgets. They have to sell millions of units within the first week just to break even, not willing to cut back and create a good game with an efficient art style, it seems. This doesn't even work half the time.

Resident Evil 5 and 6 are a good example, Capcom took a (now) niche series of a niche genre and tried to blow it up into a triple-AAA title. Bad idea since if you don't appeal to the original fans of the games, they'll hate it. When the original fans hate it, the possible newcomers will avoid it, because they rightfully believe those old fans know what they're talking about when they say whether it's good or not.

And then the CODTards will avoid it anyways, because it's ripping off Call of Duty.

I might have played CoD two or three times, but I see one of my friends play it pretty often. I totally get the complaints of it being linear. I'm pretty apathetic towards it. However, I did vehemently dislike Halo back in the day. But that was mostly for its aesthetics, than its gameplay mechanics. It had escaped me as to why people had made such a big friggin deal out of it.

This video is travesty! ScrewAttack can NEVER repent for this sin.

RUSH said:

The CoD mentality is essentially "gimme flashy effects and amazing graphics. If not, GTFO it must be bad."

Plus the graphics aren't even that good. I once had a kid tell me that COD was the first game ever created(no lie, seriously) When I told him about even older systems like the magnavox odyssey, he then came up with some BS about how Magnavox Was turned into Infinity Ward even though they still make fucking Tvs!

I've played every CoD since CoD1.

I like them, and have a lot of fun with friends on multiplayer. The campaign tends to be good too.

The only CoD I even remotely enjoyed was Finest Hour.

I felt the first CoD was no where near as good as MoHAA.

Call of Duty - Somewhat original mechanics. Okay multiplayer with novelty killcam. Some neat action sets. Good voice acting and characters, if somewhat aloof story with out any rela progression other than 'missions' and warfronts. Checkpoint system a bit annoying, but frequent checkpoints are okay.

Call of Duty: Finest Hour - Basically the first game, but for consoles. Again, some fun and good characters. Ability to carry health packs for on-the-go healing when needed. Okay multiplayer, if slightly broken. Looks good on PS2, and very good soundtrack. Shitty checkpoint system that makes the final stretch of the game neigh-impossible unless you're God. Not a fun kind of difficulty.

Modern Warfare - Improved game mechanics, controlling, and shooting mechanics. Very fast multiplayer with balanced weapons. Ability to create loadouts is a novelty, along with unlocking weapons. Camos are awarded by actually getting good at the game. Killstreaks add to the fun. Campaign is well acted, and is okay story wise, if a bit long winded. American Campaign has fun characters and is fairly interesting, but is rather short. SAS characters are sorta wooden. Regen health is okay, though makes things childishly easy, unless you try to Quake this shit. Two weapon limit is shit. Even the first game had three weapons, even if one was just a handgun. But that made a bit more sense?

World at War - Improvements all around. Zombie mode is a blast. Weapons are fun to use and shoot. Very gritty, bloody, violence and well acted characters. Not too linear, as searching levels can find hidden bonuses and weapons. A WW2 game in Japan (Islands) that's good. Gary Oldman. Gorgeous soundtrack. MP40 though is tad powerful, and on the Wii system it happens to be a sniper rifle, creating balance issues. It's not terrible, though. Historically, PTRS was a not a sniper rifle, or even one man weapon. It's actually an anti-tank gun, but I guess they couldn't find something more interesting. RPG in Wii is pointless, as MP has no tanks, unlike the PC< Xbox, and PS3 versions.

Black Ops - Very fun multiplayer, although FAMAS is very powerful and creates balance issues worse than before. Zombies is still fun. Story is filled with some intrigue, but is otherwise filled with lame characters with very little that's interesting. Honestly didn't care if any of them lived or died. Oldman's character is still fun to listen too, anyways. Throwback WW2 mission is fun too. Treyarch manages to keep the franchise fresh.

Modern Warfare 3 - Story is bland protect this chump, kill that chump, etc. Multiplayer is still okay with a lot of new bonuses, and feels balanced again. Survival mode is fun for a few minutes, but thengets boring. Honestly, zombies were better, even if they were getting stale... er... rotten. Lots of reused weapons and models from MW2. Lame. I've played it on every system it was out for, and it looked bland across the board. Actually looked worse than Modern Warfare 1. What you get when you don't update the engine. Surprised iD Software is still credited for the Q3 engine. Surprised they're still using it.

Black Ops II - Only played multiplayer, and it was so-so/ Updated Loadout for MP though was interesting, and offered a fresh change of pace for how multiplayer matches were done. However, with everything else looking and sounding forgettable, and with so fgew new features, things get old as hell.

Ghosts - Cramped levels everywhere. Newest feature is a Dog in the SP. He's in MP too, but that's not new at all, as Attack Dogs were in WaW. Uninspired, and story went no where interesting or memorable.

Sort of a franchise thoughts, and it can be seen where things go down hill.

There hasn't had an enjoyable single player campaign since it was a WWII game.

Despite yearly releases, maybe 1/4 of the games are worth playing for the multiplayer. They're generally hilariously unbalanced trash. Black Ops 1 was the last tolerable game.

It's one of the most popular franchises to ever exist, which exasperates the above two points.

GoatLord said:

So if the COD games are so bad, what fuels their popularity and positive reviews? Is it accessibility?

It's popular because:

1. It's realistic. For some reason, the majority has always preferred realistic FPS games (by realistic I mean with real weaponry and setting).

2. It has good graphics. Plain and simple.

3. It offers you a "cinematic experience", because you can never be lost and the action is in constant flow. You're basically watching a war movie with A LOT of action, where you occasionally have to press some buttons to make the story go further.

4. There is also auto-regeneration system which eliminates frustration... and challenge along with it... but people nowadays don't care about challenge, they want instant gratification and the developers knew it. Say what you want but I bet every person on this forum got frustrated by DOOM at some point. Since you're still here, you probably gritted your teeth, sucked it up and beat the challenge. Forget about that in CoD - you basically can't lose, because a lot of people would quit the game the moment they died twice in the same situation.

Auto-regenerating health cause more frustration than medical kits if you ask me, also it's dreadfully boring waiting for health to regen as opposed to locating and picking up medical kits.

I have come to the realization that it is not bad per se, people started to hate it because every annual sequel gets a shitload of hype without deserving it and most importantly, because of its popularity its features are now creeping in games where they have no place to be in...like Syndicate and the first version of Doom 4. If CoD were still popular but within its own niche and not the "right" way to make an FPS then it would be be getting so much vitriol. ADS and regenerating health are not BAD per se but when you see it in every fucking game just because CoD does it it really starts to get on your nerves as it stifles creativity.

This can potentially happen to every franchise, it almost happened to Id too in the 90s but back then people hadn't become so jaded and the graphical advancements were a lot more important than they are now, as today it has diminishing returns and games have become realistic enough (the long console cycle is proof of that). I mean, if you look at Doom 2 objectively, it is what Activision is doing with CoD, you get 30 maps, most of them reusing textures and resources from the previous game but adding a new weapon and a few monsters, just like what CoD is doing nowadays.