Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Canofbacon

Mario Maker.

I see Nintendo has a game that lets you create Mario levels in the works. Personally I think this is a really cool idea and I'd bet that they got the idea for this after seeing some of the amazing SMB1 rom hacks that are online. Sadly I do not have a Wii U so unless they decide to make a 3DS version I won't be playing it unless I go over to a friend who has a Wii U's house or something.

here is a link to a video of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLS458ekSEI

Oh boy, I get to pay to make levels with a limited capacity? Why do that when I can just hack the ROMs themselves, make new graphics, sounds, behavior, etc.? I know, I know, "piracy," but if you legitimately own the game itself and only distribute your work as a patch, all should be fine.

And if there's some kind of legal crap where it can't be from someone else's copy even if it's binary identical to yours, it isn't hard to get the ROMs themselves legally. Just buy the game on Virtual Console and rip the ROM from the app.

I was hoping this was a user friendly Super Mario World editor. And I mean a fan made program. Greatly disappointed.

Sodaholic said:

Oh boy, I get to pay to make levels with a limited capacity? Why do that when I can just hack the ROMs themselves, make new graphics, sounds, behavior, etc.?

Pssh, WORK? Who does that anymore? Get real.

There's no Mario world and it appears to be limited on what I can do... I'm disappointed. I wanted to make sadistic levels like this one nasty little fucker:

oh well, I guess I'm better off rom hacking.

My big question is why limit this to the Wii U and not make it for the 3DS? I mean, to me, the 3DS is a logical platform for this sort of thing. I'm pretty sure the 3DS has moved more units, so there's a larger market out there on the 3DS. All in all though, it just makes perfect sense - hello Nintendo, the hardware you've created makes the perfect tool for user-generated content, so if I were Nintendo, I'd be all over that. Oh, except Nintendo is a kiddy system company, so of course they're nervous about any sort of interactivity - Oh my God, someone might use these tools to spell out a naughty word in coins or something, and then they're all over 20/20 and everyone goes into hysterics about how child molesters are gonna use Nintendo games to kidnap your children (never mind the sheer mind-blowing profanity you can hear within seconds of firing up any online Xbox game, that's totally different).

geekmarine said:

My big question is why limit this to the Wii U and not make it for the 3DS? I mean, to me, the 3DS is a logical platform for this sort of thing.

I think they've been trying to focus on rescuing their sinking Wii U ship as of late and wouldn't want to give people incentives to not get a Wii U, like if the game they want is also available on their more successful platform.

They first introduced a make a level feature in Super Smash Bros Brawl, I get the feeling they didn't get the inspiration from rom hacks.

Avoozl said:

I get the feeling they didn't get the inspiration from rom hacks.

You mean aside from the countless YouTube videos of people playing ROM hacks and that making them has been a popular thing to do for long a over a decade? I know it may seem like Nintendo is living under a rock most of the time, but emulation has been a thorn in their side for years.

I can't believe what a missed chance this is. If they would have gone the extra mile and created a game where you could create entire mario games with an overworld map and everything similar to how that free program allows you to do, then I would be interested.

But just single levels? Limited to only the stuff from the original Super Mario Bros? Really? Why the fuck should anybody pay for that?

Nintendo has seriously dropped the ball with this.

Lunar Magic is an old program for SMW - It's a million times better than this. Basic level editing should be easy enough even for noobs.

I have a couple of thoughts about what Nintendo is doing. (a) Maybe you can make more complex levels than what's being shown, but they're limiting what they're showing because, you know, that's what they've got working, and the more complex stuff makes it super easy to break the game. It's a possibility, but I doubt it. (b) They're worried about what might happen if they give players too much freedom/access to content. If fans can just rebuild their favorite Mario games in this level editor, they won't buy Mario 3 on the Virtual Console for the billionth time! Yeah, call me a cynic, but I can see Nintendo doing that.

Super Mario BROS X or die. I used to churn out entire games worth of levels in a weekend. It was awesome.

reality 2.0 said:

There's no Mario world and it appears to be limited on what I can do... I'm disappointed. I wanted to make sadistic levels like this one nasty little fucker:

Mother of God.

welcome to kaizo mario, Marnetmar.

That video you saw was a tool assisted run. Usually I would not be happy with a tool assisted run because I feel they're cheating. But Kaizo mario is so hard, it's pretty much impossible to beat without cheating such as using save states aka save scumming or abusing every glitch the game has.

reality 2.0 said:

welcome to kaizo mario, Marnetmar.

That video is pretty boring. The ones where people are actually playing it (preferably for the first time) without slow motion etc. are way more fun.

Guest Unregistered account

"CONGgratulations!"

I would kill for something like this for Contra.

Guest Unregistered account

I'll be honest; I think this is a good idea. I mean, at least Nintendo's -kinda- acknowledging what the fans want.

40oz said:

I think there does exist a ROM hack utility for the original contra on the nes that works as a level editor and lets you make your own levels.

40oz said:

I was hoping Terraria was more like Castlevania. Alas I was wrong.

I have to admit, I'm more than a little surprised Nintendo never did this for Zelda. I mean heck, there already is the fan game Zelda Classic which takes the original Zelda game and makes it about as flexible to edit as Doom (with the ability to not only make new levels, add new graphics, etc., but also add custom weapons, enemies, objectives, and whatnot). For years I was absolutely certain Nintendo was going to ape Zelda Classic, or at least issue a cease and desist. To give Nintendo some props, I will admit I'm impressed they never did issue a cease and desist, despite the fact that they're almost certainly aware of the game, but given its popularity, it strikes me as odd that Nintendo never thought, "Hey, maybe we should release our own Zelda modding tools."

Jaxxoon R said:

This is what I did with Lunar Magic:
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/161031419/DESYNC%20NEO_00000.png[img]
Never finished it, though.

Looks cool, I would play since I'm a ROM player too at times.