Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Csonicgo

YMF262 Resequencing Project

I announced this on the Doomworld FB group yesterday, but I think it's time to post this here.

I am working on an OPL-3 Doom re-sequencing project. The goal of the project will be to redo Doom's music using the full power of the YMF262 as opposed to the GM/MUS sequences played through the GENMIDI lump. Consider this giving Doom a "Dune" treatment...

The first release will be the entire Shareware version of Doom's music redone in Adlib Tracker II, with full support for OPL-3 waveforms and related features. The resulting files will be in DRO format.

As ZDoom is the only port that supports DRO, the DRO version will be a ZDoom mod. I will also consider an audio version recorded from my SB16, with looping, for all source ports that support OGG Vorbis, with a slight reverb (the drums need it, trust me).

I expect to be done with this by the end of the year or early next year, if not sooner. Most of the work will be done by ear, with some midi sequence observation for a few of the tricky bits. For an example of what one of the songs may sound like, listen to the music in this video. Please note that this is a very crude starting point, the final version will be much different than this.

If you want to help with this, please let me know.

Current Progress on Shareware:
E1M1: Instrumentation done, sequencing started (5%)
E1M2: Not started
E1M3: Instrumentation done, sequencing done, drums need work (85%)
E1M4: Not started
E1M5: Instrumentation done, sequencing done, cleanup needed (90%)
E1M6 Not started
E1M7: Instrumentation started, sequencing started (5%)
E1M8: Not started
E1M9: Not started

Obviously the difficult parts will be the guitar parts and drum fills. Bobby Prince went all out when composing for Doom. just take a listen of it and you'll know.

Wow, sounds really nice! Excited to hear some other songs. FM music is great when programmed properly.

plums said:

Wow, sounds really nice! Excited to hear some other songs. FM music is great when programmed properly.

Thanks! Most of the work will be tracking the notes (as I will do this by hand). The main issues will be channel crowding, which Bobby Prince didn't have to worry about, as DMX handled all of that. I don't want to cut off any notes prematurely. As this will be tracked, not sequenced, this will give me complete control over the 18 channels. So if any notes *do* cut off, it'd be my fault. :)

From what I hear in the video, this is gonna be great. Can't wait for the inevitable Sign of Evil.

Now this is a worthy project. I wonder if it'd be possible to get Gecko Yamori involved, since he has already done some FM-like tracks of E1M1, E3M2, and E3M3...(Not specifically for YMF262, I recall...)

WildWeasel said:

Now this is a worthy project. I wonder if it'd be possible to get Gecko Yamori involved, since he has already done some FM-like tracks of E1M1, E3M2, and E3M3...(Not specifically for YMF262, I recall...)

I would love some help on this, mostly for help with sequencing. Any help with effects would also be appreciated. When I have an alpha ready I'll release that for scrutiny.