Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doominator2

Help remembering a movie.

So I sort of remember watching this movie as a kid, but very vaguely. I think it was something about this very smart janitor, and this professor challenged every one to solve this extremely difficult equation and no one could figure it out except for the janitor. Anyways i'm not sure how accurate this is but I would really like to know the name of this movie.

Maybe we should have the "Help me remember X thread"

In which case, not a film, but a game. I think it was a Turn Based Strategy game, probably late 90s or early 2000s. It was top down sorta, lot of hellish landscapes, and a bunch of different demon monsters. Ones I remember clearly are these red dog like monsters that may or have not looked like a Dewback from Star Wars, and I think some were black (Like maybe too different forms?

Or an upgraded version of the other?). When it was a turn I think you controlled a few monsters or just one that would act like an avatar for your actual army, and then in combat you'd go to a new screen and see your forces fight some other monsters, although I think you could just watch it happen? Or maybe you'd fight in the first screen too (Top down view). Played this years_________ ago, and I have not been able to find it since, and memory is very foggy. Best I can remember are the dogs. They might've been sprites from a 3D model or stop motion figure.

Well, there are two really mysterious b-movies (or c-movies) I remember -vaguely- being broadcasted on crappy local TV stations:

One had a bunch of cowboys around a campfire drinking, shooting in the air, and had some topless women running around (!) in the mid. Seriously. What was more perplexing is that I left for an hour or so, and when I came back, the same channel had a similar (or the very same) scene. WTF?! What kind of movie could that be?

Another one, had some nasty old man barricaded in a hut on top of a hill on an island (?) and shooting at some teens with an air rifle or a .22 rifle or something equally weak, and in the end one of the teens, though wounded, comes and kicks his ass. Seriously.

Both were clearly US movies, of the type you'd see roasted at MST3K or something.

Khorus said:

Heroes of Might and Magic 3? Sounds like you're describing the Hellhound from the Inferno race.

EDIT: Their upgraded form is the Cerberus, if that helps.

I was thinking a bit more lizard like, Dewbackish, but again my memory could be faulty (And more red). However, that art style looks spot on. I'll check it out, thanks!

And after some quick peaking, HoMM3 seems to be it! Thanks a lot!

Maes, weren't you also looking for a movie that involved two guys who operated a shit-sucking truck who were mad at their boss for some reason? I'm sorry I can't help, but I'd love to see a couple of these films :)

Doom. You're thinking of the Doom movie. I remember it quite well. The Rock was the professor. Karl Urban played the janitor. Really surprised you don't remember.

Krispy said:

Maes, weren't you also looking for a movie that involved two guys who operated a shit-sucking truck who were mad at their boss for some reason? I'm sorry I can't help, but I'd love to see a couple of these films :)

Heh. I admit I had forgot about that one, but it's obscure even by obscure Greek 80s videotrash standards, that's how bad it is ;-)

Trouble is, I don't remember much of it, as I only saw a few scenes at the beginning. The gist of it however was that there were two guys working as a shit-sucking truck's crew, and already in the 5 first minutes there were more gross toilet jokes than in 10 episodes of South Park. E.g. the guys sucked into a clogged takeup shit-pipe with their mouths (how that was even supposed to work...), their boss commented on how the meatballs his wife had prepared "reminded him of work" because they look exactly like turds, and their girlfriends dumped them because "they always reeked". WTF. Plus, a horrid electronic intro song. Truly epic...if I could remember what it was called.

Speaking of 80s Greek videotrash, I believe a few of them would deserve a subbing, the very least. They redefine "so Bad it's Good".

Maes said:

Well, there are two really mysterious b-movies (or c-movies) I remember -vaguely- being broadcasted on crappy local TV stations:

How many enjoy B-movies over mainstream?

Call me crazy, but I find B-movies much more enjoyable and watchable. More flavor, less artificial, and more creative; I feel more connected to them. I'm dead serious. Unless it's one of those, 'I'm different because I'm a Juggalo-ICP type' films.

I had one for this thread, but I finally found it. I remembered it as this movie where a scientist on a space station was pissed that he never got to do any science, so he went mad and tried to kill every one. Well, found it and it turns out there were terrorists too!

Holering said:

How many enjoy B-movies over mainstream?

Call me crazy, but I find B-movies much more enjoyable and watchable. More flavor, less artificial, and more creative; I feel more connected to them. I'm dead serious. Unless it's one of those, 'I'm different because I'm a Juggalo-ICP type' films.

I love b movies. Although I consider them more artificial than most stuff you see in theaters, I feel obliged to give them more credit when there are obvious plot holes, or things seem to not make sense. It's easier to not watch something so critically when the foundation of the movie is based on an obviously fictional "what-if" scenario depicted in the form of entertainment media.

But I love crappy CGI, silly costumes, whacky music and sub-par acting for all the wrong reasons.

To understand how "good" 80s Greek movies were, just take a look at this scene from the 1988 movie "The Great Unclogging (The Shitface)".

Pretty much, the annoying moustached handyman tells the woman to bend over her bathtub and watch if any water would overflow as he pumped the toilet. When doing so results in water being splashed all over her face and she complains about "the dirty water", the handyman replies "Why are you so disgusted? It's your water, it came from you. We should be the ones disgusted".

But just as they though they were done with the unclogging...they discover its true cause. I've never seen such a surreal scene in any movie, ever :-p

As to why Greek 80s movies are so crappy...well...the 80s are known as the "decade where the videocassette killed local movie production": suddenly, almost everyone could make movies at a fraction of the cost compared to expensive cinematogaphy, and here are the results. You know you DO want to see movies with titles such as "The last gyps-emperor" or "Tamtakos the electronic gypsy".