Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Jobs you can get away with playing doom in.

I think it's about time we have one of these threads.

What are some jobs, extracurricular activities, or other work you've had in the past or currently have where you can successfully get away with, or be permitted to play or edit doom, with little or no consequences?

I've never actually had one, always had to reserve doom for my own downtime outside of any other activities.

My factory ALWAYS lets us play DOOM whenever we don't have any work to do.

We have two rooms in the factory reserved for those times, a game room and a computer lab (I helped set up the lab and populate it with games on every computer). Right now DOOM's only on one of the computers, but when I go back on Monday, I'm gonna put it on the other three. I even donated a router and they're trying to bring in ethernet cables so we can play DOOM, StarCraft, Diablo II, and other games against each other...

I had a boring office job during my millitary service, played a lot doom back then. Strangely enough nobody cared about it and sometimes even other high rank officers joined or watched me playing.

I think my boss would be very pissed if I even asked him if I could play a video game when there is nothing to do. Unless you are in a government job, I don't think you could get away with something like this in my country.

Had a job supervising some local parks, we were given chalet offices. One of them was pretty much a game room. Since it was almost always quiet at the parks, I set up Doom/Doom II on the desktop there and played tons of maps.

US Air Force maintainer, on some days aircraft just aren't broke. Plus I'm on the midnight shift where the upper level supervision just doesn't care, I doubt that I would get away with it on day shift.

I don't think being an RA is considered proper employment, but I've certainly had some doom-time occasionally if I'm the only one in lab

I was a security guard for a few years before and during college. There were some posts that i got away with playing all kinds of video games.

Could probably play it during my lunch time if I brought my laptop. However, I would be afraid of some lowlife coworker stealing it so I am not going to even take that risk.

Community manager/moderator. I know this from personal experience. :P

My job doesn't care what we do as long as the work is done on the deadline. Usually there are long periods of waiting. Such as waiting for a client to give us information.... then they wait until the day before the project is contractually obligated to be done then give us the information. I'm not sure if its because they try to get us in a breach of contract... or what the more likely explanation is, people wait til the last second do to things.

My line of terribly boring work is alright for text-based stuff, so I read a lot of news and managed to review a Doom book once for newstuff, but I'd never get away with playing games.

I used to have a game shop so that an easy place to play any game let alone Doom. I also used to have a job looking after teenagers in a community group. They were good kids and pretty much looked after themselves. In fact, they were happier when I was out of their way! Other than that, I've had a million jobs and have never got away with it anywhere else... :)

I'm USAF, and my job is aircraft refueling. We always have to have guys on duty because you never know when something is gonna need fuel. The result of that is there's inevitably downtime when there's nothing to do. I always have my laptop in my car, and serious Doomage happens fairly often. It's interesting how even the youngest airmen know what I'm playing.

People in tech support play a lot of games - either when working from home, or when they're not supposed to be doing it. I don't think I could have managed Doom in that situation because I liked to stay engaged enough with what was going on, but I played a lot of those stupid mahjong solitaire games.

Towards the end of that job they decided Canadians were too expensive to employ, so they replaced us with Filipinos. There was an overlap while they brought the centre in Manila online and it go to where they always had too many of us at work. I got paid for two weeks to sit around and play games in one of the former training rooms. Nonstop UT2K4 and Q3.

Every now and then throughout my schooling days I'd sometimes download and boot up Doom on library computers. In the later years, I'd sometimes bring my laptop and pretend to be working when I was either mapping or intermittently playing. Ah, memories!

Well, I'm a freelance translator, working from home, but even then it's not that easy. Most of the time all I can do (Doom-related) is keeping a DW tab open in the background and check it every now and then; and while I have a lot of free time (well, more or less), it's certainly not very appealing spending it in the PC after working in front of a monitor for several hours...

PS: Yes, I know it's hard to believe that's my job given my poor English skills when talking to people. Maybe it makes more sense if you consider I'm specialized in Chemistry and Biology. Maybe.

I could play Doom at my job, except that my net-book doesn't work, and I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving any kind of device just lying on the counter when I have to check the machines. Any customer could just walk right out the door with it. I just read tons of books instead.

When I worked as President, nobody bothered me if I played Doom. Good times.

During the 90's I worked for Roland. We officially bought DOOM to test
the SCC-1 Soundcards (+ MPU-401 devices...). Of course, we soon set up an IPX-Net in the Customer Support deparment and played DM all day long. I remember, that one day I tried to dodge a rocket while having a customer on the phone. What can I say: I dropped off my chair and hit the ground while talking to that customer. My colleagues wet themselves laughing!!! Those where the days...Eight hours a day playing Doom !!!

I've gotten away with it, and played off of a flash drive. Though, it was primarily to play test my levels, than to just play. I work for a university, a lot of times its slow; especially in the summer. Though, a lot of times I just work on my sprite art for doom when its slow here. I don't feel bad about it, I do my job, and I do it well.

Currently work at a Observatory until schooling is finished and usually am playing any sort of Doom on the laptop until night falls and until most of the papers are gone.

Strangely am able to finish Doom 3 but unable to get near enough to the BFG edition. :\

Cool to hear about co-workers getting in on the action though.

Playing short round of doom between each patient if I want, I just but on occupied and no one bothers me for a while.