Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LocoCaco

Doom Builder 2 - Transparent Windows

http://i.imgur.com/nMRALrZ.png
I'm relatively new to Doom Builder, and .wads in general. I have one question (illustrated by the picture above): How do I create a transparent window/grate? For techie stuff: I'm currently editing in ZDoom - Doom in Hexen format. Any ideas?

There needs to be something on the other side, so it has to be a two-sided linedef.

Guest Unregistered account

Is this what you want?

I didn't spend much time on the outdoor area, in case you wanted to turn it into a room or something.

But here's how you make transparent windows:

1. Go to select the appropriate linedef and go to the Sidedefs window.

2. On Middle textures, set the texture to a bar (or whatever you want).

3. ... Yeah, that's literally it. This method can also be used to make fake walls and waterfalls etc.

*In most cases you'll want to apply the middle texture to both sides.

DOWNLOAD

3. In the Linedef Properties window, be sure to check the "Impassable" box, or you'll be able to walk right through the bars.

One thing to look out for; if the texture you use for the window is taller than the actual window sector, some source ports with software renderers will show the entire texture bleed into the floor or ceiling, like so:

You can fix that issue with having a different light level on the other side. Like have 240 on one side and 241 on the other.

Guest Unregistered account

Yup, or you can just make the sector different. Until you posted that, Jimi, I thought the other sector had to have a different height. Thanks!

When I make techbase maps, I usually just use a silver texture and set the linedef to transparent. I personally like the effect it makes.

I have made a window in one of my maps that you can see through but monsters cant see you, and you cannot fire through it. let me know if you want a copy.

nihilistic said:

I have made a window in one of my maps that you can see through but monsters cant see you, and you cannot fire through it. let me know if you want a copy.

Did you use a crystal sector (both sides of each line refer to the same sector)?

If you're mapping in Hexen format or UDMF, you might have accidentally set "Block Everything" flag onto one of the window's linedefs.

Another explanation would be that there is another sector inside the window with a higher floor height and no textures on its lower linedefs, creating an invisible barrier.

I haven't used DB2 in a while, so I forgot how the layout looks. You're better off using GZDoom Builder honestly.