Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kontra Kommando

Terminator Battle Video: Humans vs the Machines

I stopped working on this over a year ago. But one day I plan on going back to it. This is just a demonstration of sprites I had created. This is a completely unbalanced battle between a resistance of human vs the machines, during the future wars.

credit for use of the following:
Spoiler

Fog:
Decorate: zrrion the insect, Tormentor667
GLDefs: None
Sounds: None
Sprites: zrrion the insect
Idea Base: The clouds in TCoTD2

Bonepile:
Decorate: Captain Toenail
Sprites: ShadowCaster
Sprite Edit: Captain Toenail, Gez

Fire:
Decorate: Solarsnowfall, Tormentor667, Ghastly_dragon
GLDefs: Ghastly_dragon
Sounds: Id Software, Looking Glass Studios, Ion Storm Inc.
Sprites: SolarSnowFall

Junk pile:
Decorate: Gothic
Sprites: Raven Software
Idea Base: Post-apocaliptic maps

Trash cans:
Decorate: Lucario, Captain Awesome
Sprites: 3DRealms
Sprite Edit: Captain Awesome
Idea Base: The trashcan from Duke Nukem

I finished creating the sprite sheet for HK-Tanks

I created them entirely by using gimp2 to edit these 3 images:

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs19/f/2007/274/c/8/HK___Tank_by_Vladimir3d.jpg
http://www.goingfaster.com/term2029/hktankside.jpg
http://www.goingfaster.com/term2029/hktankfront.jpg

I had to create the quarter-side views by transforming the pieces I had.

I will have to shrink them at least by 40% for the WAD.

---------------------------------------------------------
old

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3v56y163acp918r/Terminator+Demonstration+Battle+WIP.zip

I took a short vacation from Aliens, and I have spent the entire day working on my Terminator side-project. I created all new sprites for the T-800. Moreover, I used parts of Sergeant_Mark_IV's decorate file, from a terminator he had scripted. When killed the terminator can explode into pieces. I had finished the T-800, and decided to make a small test map. Eventually that little map became a massive assault on a human bunker, by an army of Terminators. The tiny test map evolved into a battle in LA 2029 AD. Its pretty tough because the terminators have 1000 HP. But there are plenty of Marines, and Crash(s) to equalize the odds. Moreover, there is one friendly Terminator on your side. I think this map would probably be fun with a lot of people. I also would like to put in the HKs; I found a ripped sprite sheet from the arcade. However, I will not resume work on this for a while. I will return to working on the Aliens project, to produce levels and new textures. Nevertheless, please enjoy this WAD. It is a WIP, and there is no way to beat it. But I think it is fun, and is worth checking out.

Have you considered making a full 8 rotations for him because it looks silly mirroring the gun back and forth when walking in a zigzag pattern towards the player. It still looks quite nice in its current state however.

Glaice said:

Have you considered making a full 8 rotations for him because it looks silly mirroring the gun back and forth when walking in a zigzag pattern towards the player. It still looks quite nice in its current state however.

I intended for the full 8, and have drawn them. I just need to script it right. I noticed that too after I uploaded this.

EDIT:

I'll give this WAD one more significant update before I put it down. I figured out the issues. I had to change the missile script to :

Missile:
T800 E 12 A_FaceTarget

T800 F 6 BRIGHT A_CustomMissile("TerminatorBall", 32, 0, random(-8, 8), 0)
T800 E 12 A_FaceTarget

T800 E 12 A_FaceTarget

T800 E 12 A_FaceTarget

I like the sprites quite a lot, just the fact that it's a robotic enemy is awesome. I've been looking for some robot sprites for a hitscan monster sprite replacement, but couldn't find much.

On the other hand I dislike the map, even though the setting is surely great. The map has visual glitches (even in GZDoom) and the overload of effects doesn't do well to my computer, but mainly, this kind of chaos war battle is not pleasing me gameplay-wise. I'm sure you know what I mean. If you could make something closer to a "classic-Doom" design and balance approach, I'd see it much cooler. The Terminator itself (with its DECORATE behaviour) seems to be overpowered. That much more, I'd like to see a properly balanced map for him, but okay, okay. Nice mapping experiment, although it's not at all what I find to be fun. Once again, I primarily admire the sprites.

I'd like to ask, do you plan to send your numerous new enemies to Realm667 repository or something similar, allowing others to use them? Or do you want them for your own use only? This terminator is something I'd like to get my hands on, one day.

scifista42 said:

I like the sprites quite a lot, just the fact that it's a robotic enemy is awesome. I've been looking for some robot sprites for a hitscan monster sprite replacement, but couldn't find much.

On the other hand I dislike the map, even though the setting is surely great. The map has visual glitches (even in GZDoom) and the overload of effects doesn't do well to my computer, but mainly, this kind of chaos war battle is not pleasing me gameplay-wise. I'm sure you know what I mean. If you could make something closer to a "classic-Doom" design and balance approach, I'd see it much cooler. The Terminator itself (with its DECORATE behaviour) seems to be overpowered. That much more, I'd like to see a properly balanced map for him, but okay, okay. Nice mapping experiment, although it's not at all what I find to be fun. Once again, I primarily admire the sprites.

I'd like to ask, do you plan to send your numerous new enemies to Realm667 repository or something similar, allowing others to use them? Or do you want them for your own use only? This terminator is something I'd like to get my hands on, one day.

After I'm done with the Aliens WAD, I will start to work more on the Terminator game. I have a lot of ideas planned for it.

I want to polish up this terminator wad and upload it to moddb.

So far I have implemented the flying HK from the T2 arcace game. I modified the colors a bit with gimp. Moreover, it explodes into flames and pieces. Currently I'm trying to come up with a quick solution to creating the HK Tanks, below is what I have thus far:

I took it from this:http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/6545/hktankcomparison.jpg

I messed with it in gimp; I need to create the other frames as well. Normally, I would just take the time to draw the sprites. But I want to release this WAD soon, and I would really like to have the HK-Tanks for the full feel.

I am glad you like the terminator I have created. I lowered their health to 800. Moreover, I fixed a bunch of glaring errors in the WAD. Futher, I implemented the actual laser sound from the movie. It blends nicely with the music. I had the sence where recess is dreaming about

I had these specific scenes in mind when I created that level:

Also, I plan to submit my custom monsters to Realm667 eventually. But first I want to polish them up completely before I do so. Right now they are all pretty much a work in progress. I'm also thinking about polishing up and completing the enemies I created for Dawn of Doom. I think I've finally lost count of how many custom monsters I've made. But I definitely need to polish them up, and get them all organized.

StevieCybernetik said:

Holy shit I absolutely love that. That tank thing has been one of my favorite movie tanks for years.

Thanks man, I've been working on it concurrently with my other projects. I'm in the midst of creating it. I have plans to make it explode into fiery pieces as a death.

I finished creating the sprite sheet for HK-Tanks

I created them entirely by using gimp2 to edit these 3 images:

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs19/f/2007/274/c/8/HK___Tank_by_Vladimir3d.jpg
http://www.goingfaster.com/term2029/hktankside.jpg
http://www.goingfaster.com/term2029/hktankfront.jpg

I had to create the quarter-side views by transforming the pieces I had.

I will have to shrink them at least by 40% for the WAD.

I stopped working on this over a year ago. But one day I plan on going back to it. This is just a demonstration of what I had created. This is a completely unbalanced battle between a resistance of human vs the machines, during the future wars.

Needs more gray, too much color. The future depicted in the first two Terminator movies (and the only ones in my opinion) was almost completely devoid of colors (or at least bright ones), more than likely to symbolize the grim mood and harsh situation. This is something Terminator: Future Shock and Terminator: SkyNET got right. These games always felt like Terminator some how.

CeeJay said:

Needs more gray, too much color. The future depicted in the first two Terminator movies (and the only ones in my opinion) was almost completely devoid of colors (or at least bright ones), more than likely to symbolize the grim mood and harsh situation. This is something Terminator: Future Shock and Terminator: SkyNET got right. These games always felt like Terminator some how.

I think you're right about some of the environmental decorates; for example, the bones should be gray. Also, some of the textures for the buildings could be grayer; i just used vanilla textures for the sake of the demo.

But the plasma lasers are supposed to be bright purple; true to the first two movies.

Promising mod, but it needs special color design (yeah, I've read this topic, it was already said) like gray+blue/purple+yellow/gold

Also I don't understand why you've used this weapon sprite. It looks not good as sprite weapon for Doom game.

But anyway, keep it up

Yeah, I forgot to point that one out. That the only truly bright thing was the laser projectiles. Personally, I love the style of the future depicted in the first two movies.

EDIT: And that they decided to throw that out the window in the following films just pisses me off. It's an artistic trademark of the series, the future depicted in Salvation was just bland and like everything we've already seen.

CeeJay said:

It's an artistic trademark of the series, the future depicted in Salvation was just bland and like everything we've already seen.

Don't forget that Salvation starts in 2015, so of course there are no purple lasers and tons of skulls on roads ;)

Yeah, 'cos that movie was such as masterpieces it has to be regarded as canon. I saw it once, liked one or two scenes but overall thought the movie was a mess and didn't make any damn sense half the time and the other half just being stupid. It's like the script got jail time and was screwed up the ass by everybody before finally coming out.

You're right. But I'm happy that ending of Salvation was edited - originally John Connor dies and people made a Terminator-clone to not make panic for other Humanity...wtf...

Anyway, this mod must be like first 2 movies...

DeXiaZ said:

Anyway, this mod must be like first 2 movies...

Yep, the first two movies are basically all my inspiration for this mod. More specifically, I was inspired with the idea to make this mod from the dreams Kyle Reese had in the first film. Which is also why I picked the song for the demo.

The T-800, T-1000, HK-tank, and HK-drone are the extent of which I will make the primary enemies.

T-1000? There were 2 terminators (1000 and 1001) and they were unique models. T-1000 can't be a regular enemy

DeXiaZ said:

T-1000? There were 2 terminators (1000 and 1001) and they were unique models. T-1000 can't be a regular enemy

I can make him a boss than. Though I haven't even created the sprite for it yet.