Memfis

Do you use SR50 while playing?

Do you use SR50 while playing?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use SR50 while playing?

• Yes
    • No, but I do know what it is
    • No, and I don't know what it is

ofc, doomguy got places to be, don't have time for that SR40 shit.

If I had to take a guess, you're considering making a map with mandatory SR50?

is that the one where you just hold down forward and strafe? I use it a lot to save time running about, but I scowl at maps that expect me to use it for making jumps and stuff. Breaks the 4th wall a bit building exploits of unintended game mechanics into maps.

mouldy: its the more complex one where you also hold strafe-on and a turning direction.

i use it sometimes, especially down v long corridors, but i'm used to having to do it for speedruns so it's kinda ingrained.

i occasionally put an sr50 secret in my maps but only for super secret stuff

SR40: Yes, a lot.
SR50: No, it's too difficult to press the correct buttons on my keyboard, plus I don't really need SR50 when playing, so I don't feel like changing my comfortable configuration of key bindings.
So the answer: No, but I know what it is.

I SR40 all the time, but I don't think I've ever used the strafe-left or strafe-right buttons. So, no SR50 for me.

jmickle66666666 said:

mouldy: its the more complex one where you also hold strafe-on and a turning direction.

ah right, cheers. I never even tried that, sounds like too much hassle for me

Question for non-keyboarders: Is using SR50 actually as simple as pressing "W" and "D" and Strafe On ("Alt") and turning mouse to the right (respectively the opposite direction)? I'm suddenly not so sure, I normally don't play with a mouse. And the wiki article (even the other one linked there) doesn't answer this question to me. But by my logic, it should work like that.

Of course, why wouldn't I use the 4th gear when there are no speed limit textures to stop me.

mouldy: Less than you think with a proper setup. The most traditional one is to combine WASD with strafe on the right mouse button. Then sr40 + RMB + dragging mouse in the same direction results in sr50.

i changed my turning keys to Q and E so i can hold QWD + alt to do SR50 (or AWE + alt), i've gotten used to using it now, was a bit uncomfortable at first

I generally stick to basic strafe-running; Doomguy moves fast enough for me already, heh.

I voted "yes", but that's definitely not me accepting the feature.

It's so awkward to use even with custom setups, the view lock goes against so much of what I like in Doom, that I am in control of my character.

If it weren't for troublesome jumps (another pet peeve) or very long stretches of land making me feel overly stubborn (and even then I tend to lose more time than I gain, because I'm awful at picking a pixel perfect trajectory in a split moment), I'd never use it.

Too complicated.

If for some reason I need to make a longer jump, I'll just use a source port with jump feature, or idclip.

I use the other strafe running all the time. In levels I've made, forward running should be enough to make all the necessary jumps to complete the level. Maybe some secrets may need strafe running. And places player isn't meant to jump to, I'll make sure the gap is wide enough, or block movement some other way. Same kind of stuff for actions that lower/raise/open/close sectors.

You mean as part of my casual moment-to-moment playing? Nah. When I do use it, it's usually because I'm just messing around trying to see if I can pull off a sequence-breaking jump or something of that nature--frankly I'm not practiced enough with controlling character movement while also carrying out the keystroke/mouseswipe procedure (at least on my preferred key config) to use it as a staple of my movement even if I wanted to.

Yeah, like lots of the other folks, I SR40 frequently, though.

The funny thing about it is that technically, it's activating the strafing controls twice, thus giving you a bit more speed than you should get. I never took a look at how this works, source-code wise, but now I'm curious...

Strafing is a bit slower that running forward/backward, right? But the speed cap on strafing is probably the same. Therefore, there should be a difference between one strafe command and two strafe commands applied simultaneously, but not very drastic.

Yes. Not using it would feel like walking instead of running. And it gives your fingers something to do.

I look forward to your SL50 poll.

SR40 is fast enough for me already...

...though I like Dew's idea of binding +strafe to RMB which makes the execution a lot easier. Perhaps I will test it soon.

I have never actually bothered to learn. I've heard too many different explanations to really understand what's happening, but just from what I have gathered from this thread, it sounds like a combination of:

1. Running forward (default uparrow)
2. Turning while holding the strafe key (default left or right arrow + alt)
3. Strafing (default < or>)

Is that correct? Or does it only work with mouselook + alt?

I generally play doom with a game pad anyway so this wouldn't work for me unless I substituted one of my lesser used buttons and grew an extra thumb.

I do what dew said. But only once in a while, usually when I want cross a big space that's already been cleared with minimal wait, rather than during combat.

Do you really have to combine mouse with keyboard? Isn't it enough to hold down the strafe mouse button and thrust the mouse diagonally, assuming you've not disabled the vertical mouse movement?

I do strafe running all the time, but SR50 looks like it would make my keyboard cry. Also, if I played a map that required it to proceed (thank god I haven't), I'd probably punch the map creator in the dick.

printz said:

Isn't it enough to hold down the strafe mouse button and thrust the mouse diagonally, assuming you've not disabled the vertical mouse movement?

That would only do a regular straferun.

I use it during speedruns and in regular play for really long stretches of space or to try jumps. I never used a setup like binding a key to turn left/turn right, though, and I usually just move my mouse to turn. Not exactly the fastest setup, though, and I'm considering changing it.

Yes. I press left ALT with my thumb for strafe-on.

Platinum Shell said:

Also, if I played a map that required it to proceed (thank god I haven't), I'd probably punch the map creator in the dick.

Some of my maps require sr50.

You could say it's "running and double-strafing", in layman's terms. You need to use two different methods of strafing, while running.

I don't know if a triple or even quadruple strafing would be possible (by also using the mouse and joystick input, since Doom's input format allows it).

WildWeasel said:

I generally stick to basic strafe-running; Doomguy moves fast enough for me already, heh.

Same here, strafe running already puts Sonic to shame. Maybe not using SR50 is what's holding me back from being a better DM player.. I just don't get how to activate two strafes simultaneously.

On a side note, its pretty funny how many older games have faster diagonal movement. The rare times I play newschool FPS games, I always instinctively try diagonally running, to no avail of course.

Doomkid said:

On a side note, its pretty funny how many older games have faster diagonal movement.

Quake doesn't have it, because it limits your true speed instead of capping each individual axis. But you can still "strafewalk", because you're not reaching the speed limit when you're walking. :)