Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
codeslicer

Doom original quit messages

I knew this last year, but I wanted to share because this doesn't seem like a thing that would be known.

When the Doom source code was released, the following extra quit messages were found in the source, some containing profanity. According to John Romero, these are development mode only quit messages that were never to be seen in a real release version.[1] However, the Shockwave Flash port of the original Episode 1 shareware game retains these messages.

Message Notes:
Fuck you, pussy!
Get the fuck out!

You quit and I'll jizz
in your cystholes!

If you leave, I'll make
the Lord drink my jizz.

Hey, Ron! Can we say
'fuck' in the game? 'Ron' refers to the CEO of GT Interactive, id's publisher at the time. [2]

I'd leave: this is just
more monsters and levels.
What a load.

Suck it down, asshole!
You're a fucking wimp!

Don't quit now! We're
still spending your money!

This is no message! Page
intentionally left blank.

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Quit_messages

I found out that the PSP Doom has the original quit messages, but sometimes some text is slightly jumbled or missing.

Considering these quit messages are on a wiki page, I'd venture to say they're relatively known at this point.

Bashe said:

Considering these quit messages are on a wiki page, I'd venture to say they're relatively known at this point.

I also shared the PSP Doom thing.

Lol I wonder what a kids mom would do if she decided to play on his doom and found this out. (If they were still in he game)

None of these ever appeared in any of the commercial .exe files (even Final Doom). It seems they were added at some point between that and the Doom source release. Interestingly, some of the messages got concatenated together - presumably someone refactored dstrings.c into its current form and screwed it up.

The Doom source code in its "original" released form will display these messages unless you actually fix it and remove/disable them. That's why they're in the PSP and Flash ports: someone just started from the original source release and either didn't notice or bother to fix it.

I remember John taking credit for these on his forum long before the community died. Again, he did it to fuck with Ron over at GT Interactive.

fraggle said:

None of these ever appeared in any of the commercial .exe files (even Final Doom). It seems they were added at some point between that and the Doom source release.

The wiki states that it was for dev. mode. Also I like the original messages so i wish they would fix the PSP one to not display ruined text.

fraggle said:

None of these ever appeared in any of the commercial .exe files (even Final Doom). It seems they were added at some point between that and the Doom source release.

Or alternatively the source released to the public is a version that hasn't been cleaned up before they complied the retail executable.

Honestly didn't know about any of these.

codeslicer said:

Don't quit now! We're
still spending your money!

Fuckin lol'd. They should've kept this one.

Off-topic, I love the new messages they made up for D64. I remember one was "Look at all the little demon feet." Not 100% sure if "little" was in there, it may have just been "Look at all the demon feet." And my favorite:

"The lead demon vanquished you."

Somehow being vanquished felt a lot more grandiose than just being killed.

Well, from the OP, all messages except 5 & 8 would be considered "obscene", so maybe that's one of the reasons id didn't include them.

EDIT: And about message #3, I'm sure some religious fanatics (i.e., a lot of people) could complain. Strongly.

Zed said:

Well, from the OP, all messages except 5 & 8 would be considered "obscene", so maybe that's one of the reasons id didn't include them.

7 is obscene too?

Bashe said:

Also I don't think wiki surfing is too extremmely common these days.

codeslicer said:

Also I don't think wiki surfing is too extremmely common these days.

True - it's not as much fun as demonstrating a lack of basic research skills on a fan forum.

Gez said:

7 is obscene too?

If you are Angela Merkel.

Is there a version of the source available which Bernd Kreimeier didn't clean up?
Would be interesting to see the original.

Well, there's the version that TeamTNT got direct from id when they made Boom. But I can't imagine they are likely to release that.

Sucks, an "unadulterated" version would have been awesome.
Imagine being one of the few folks toying around with the original source - must have been awesome.

_bruce_ said:

Sucks, an "unadulterated" version would have been awesome.

Probably for the best. The code could have contained a discriminatory double slash and than we could no longer put Doom coding on our resumes and would have to take up a moral crusade against Carmack.

The main issue was the presence of DMX-related code in the middle (maybe even directly DMX code).

joe-ilya said:

I knew it before this thread was made, because I read the wiki accidently.

They are explicit in the source code since ages, so they are not really secret at all.

Has someone implemented these messages into a small mod yet?

Gez said:

7 is obscene too?

Money is obscene everywhere.

lol didn't know these, we're still spending your money message should have stayed. :P

Trying to do this but am having this across multiple games but not sure how to make it work correctly.

Glaice said:

Trying to do this but am having this across multiple games but not sure how to make it work correctly.

I think you'd have to actually modify an engine to display these. I don't think you could do this with a PWAD.