Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Steam Summer Sales Adventure = Rigged?

Link

This is why we can't have nice things, idiots on Reddit swaying the votes en masse.

Said like a Valve employee. Who calls a money-spending contest a nice thing? I'm going to cheer on the Reddit crowd now.

I've only just reinstalled Steam after a 3 year break to play Arma 3 and I'm still discovering the new retarded shit that's been added.

Steam level? Experience? Trading cards? What the hell is this idiocy?

Who cares? There's 30 winners per day. Millions of people participate. It's like playing the lottery, except with more effort on your end and less of a financial gain if you happen to be the one person for whom stars align.

Don't get mad at the reddit idiots cheating the system. Point and laugh at the reddit idiots spending so much money to cheat a meaningless system.

I have so far spent $0 on the Steam summer sales, and I plan to continue.

This silly compaytition is just another silly thing I'm going to ignore entirely.

Valve is just trying to foster some community spirit with stuff like this. I don't get all the cynicism people has about them. Sure, they're a giant evil corporation. But they're a giant evil corporation that tries to care, at least a little.

Also if it means every team gets to win at least once then i fail to see what the problem is, certainly beats having the same team winning every single day...

Glaice said:

This is why we can't have nice things, idiots on Reddit swaying the votes en masse.

You really do get upset at the most inconsequential things in life.

Gez said:

I have so far spent $0 on the Steam summer sales, and I plan to continue.

This silly compaytition is just another silly thing I'm going to ignore entirely.

the competition is soo complex... a lot of effort for a minimal chance at winning a couple free games.

the summer sale does have good deals though, forgetting about the adventure.

To be honest, I really don't care who wins on the Summer Adventure thing, I'd figure I'd bring it up for discussion to see what people here think.

Last I heard Valve did some rule tweaking to knock down this massive point inconsistency.

Glaice said:

Last I heard Valve did some rule tweaking to knock down this massive point inconsistency.

Really? Like what rules did they tweak with and why?

Khorus said:

You really do get upset at the most inconsequential things in life.

Welcome to the Internet!

Yeah a lot of my Steam friends have proposed the idea that its not just rigged, but the last place team becomes the first place team.

To think every point means $1+ for Valve that people spent mostly on cards. Technically Valve has your money, you're just wasting that $1.

I can't imagine 'individuals' leading the charge amongst millions of people to rig the competition so much as I can imagine Valve rigging it themselves.

Valve benefits more from less competition. If one team takes a lead, everyone will buy in, because you need points to be put into the raffle for the 3 free games.

Three days in a row had 4 teams locked in a tie for #2. Fucking amazing how its perfectly balanced. This would mean no one bought in and those that did kept it perfectly balanced with 3 other teams all with coordination. Amazing.

Blame the Internet for orchestrating millions of people to not buy points instead of Valve's system being flawed. There's a video somewhere out there that shows red team's points going down.

The funny thing about the scam is, I pretty much predicted it as soon as the contest thing was announced. I had no idea anyone had actually gone through with the plan, but it was obvious to me that it'd be really easy to organize people to ensure that a particular team won on a particular day.

geekmarine said:

The funny thing about the scam is, I pretty much predicted it as soon as the contest thing was announced. I had no idea anyone had actually gone through with the plan, but it was obvious to me that it'd be really easy to organize people to ensure that a particular team won on a particular day.

But why were there 3 full says of 4 teams tied? So the millions of people that don't read Reddit were okay with keeping the levels perfect? Why would a community rig it? Yeah guys lets spend money getting points! Go us!

Has Steam reported the 30 daily winners of its raffle?

Rigged or not, no one can deny Valve's expertise at coming up with money making techniques - just make everything a competition. People will eat that shit up with a spoon.

Snakes said:

Rigged or not, no one can deny Valve's expertise at coming up with money making techniques - just make everything a competition. People will eat that shit up with a spoon.

Its not the competition people care about, its the items and selling the items they care about. Buying dirt cheap games to flip for TF2 keys to sell for money. Russians eat that shit up with a golden spoon.

Clonehunter said:

Hey, looks like Red will win two days in a row, for a total of three wins. I'm on Red, so fuck yah.

Haha, Red was in 3rd place today. I dozed off staring at the scoreboard and when I woke up red was in the lead, so fuck yeah.

doomgargoyle said:

Steam = no buy.

That's your loss, you can just go to GOG, Shiny Loot or Green Man Gaming for your games then. Or god forbid, Uplay or Origin.

Glaice said:

Or god forbid, Uplay or Origin.

God. Steam is fucking Jesus Christ compared to Origin. Uplay is just annoying. I still don't understand that once you get Far Cry 3 on STeam, you still have to go through Uplay to play it. What the fuck was the point of Steam then?

Glaice said:

That's your loss, you can just go to GOG, Shiny Loot or Green Man Gaming for your games then. Or god forbid, Uplay or Origin.

It's their loss, cause my money goes to GOG and other stores instead, not to Valve.

Clonehunter said:

God. Steam is fucking Jesus Christ compared to Origin. Uplay is just annoying. I still don't understand that once you get Far Cry 3 on STeam, you still have to go through Uplay to play it. What the fuck was the point of Steam then?

I find Origin much better and less annoying than Steam. I dont need to have origin installed to play the games unlike Steam.

Yeah, Origin is pretty great. Downloads work fine and won't stop the second I start a game, I can (generally) pick the language I want to use for any particular game instead of being forced into a global setting, it doesn't refuse to start, it doesn't crash, there's some pretty good deals to grab, even a free game every now and then. Oh, and their UI doesn't look like a stereotypical 90s nerd wet dream, *and* it doesn't lag like ass or outright give me a connection error everytime I click something.

I genuinely don't know what bothers people about it, usually it either goes unexplained or "EA! boo! hiss!".

I do have my own pet peeves with it, their web 2.0 blog-style presentation with locked width and infinitely expanding scroll bar for starters. Still, drop in the water compared to the many, many issues with Steam. Now if only Origin had a much bigger games selection...

doomgargoyle said:

I find Origin much better and less annoying than Steam. I dont need to have origin installed to play the games unlike Steam.

Steam seems to be full of phishers lately and starting six months ago. I started writing their web hosts to get their phishing clone sites shut down. Steam doesn't do shit. Its too slow.

There are games full of 'art' that is just boobs and don't pertain to the games at all. So I report them. 2 months go by and Steam gets back to me the images have been taken down and thanks for reporting them.

Steamboxes will fail. Its a year too late and the controllers are too late and too weird. So late Alienware turned their SteamBox into an AlienBox with a 360 controller. I'm not sure why Steam needs its own controller... to spite Microsoft?

To top that off, what company doesn't have a customer service phone number? Steam / Valve.

As of last year they have high schoolers working for them... unpaid. Like interns, but younger.

I can understand UPlay games needing to log into UPlay. Its their service, their games. A lot of MMOs still require you to log in on top of being logged in on Steam. One thing that's interesting is at least UPlay, and Windows Live Arcade allow you to buy games on other sites and don't require you to download their program service to log in. Steam does.

With all of that being said, I'm still very loyal to Steam. I even bought my own version of a Steam Box. 445 games fill up 1TB. It'll be my only gaming platform going forward. I kinda feel bad for buying a PS3 2 years ago... then rebuying all the games on Steam.

geo said:

There are games full of 'art' that is just boobs don't pertain to the games at all. So I report them. 2 months go by and Steam gets back to me the images have been taken down and thanks for reporting them.

Ya Im getting tired of all these stupid indie games that are littered all around steam. Sadly most of these games are just made so annoying, loud youtubers can go and scream every time they see something something that looks like gentiles like as if they never saw any in their lives.