Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

crumpets.wad [on /idgames]

Ribbiks said:

I think you're the first person to call me on either of these things. I use the phrase in the way I assume most people interpret it: "boom-compat" = play prb+_cl9 or equivalent port. If you have a descriptor you'd rather me use then I'm all ears :D

What's stopping them from being truly Boom-compatible? Is it just the 0-length reject? If you're using sky transfers they won't work in Boom of course but I wouldn't expect them to cause a crash either.

The second map was pretty nice too. Had some problems with the keycard ambush, kept bumping into walls but it wasn't so bad.

I'm actually in the mood for such bite-sized maps, so keep'em coming.

Map 03 FDA, skill 4. No, I don't listen very well. I am vindicated, though, even if only by an absurd run of luck near the first arch-vile.

Fun, if a bit more awkward to move around in than the others (awkward before we even take the monsters into account, I mean). Don't think the midi really fits the map--seems more like a 'run around like a headless chicken in a big curvy Ribbiks-clearing' sort of track--but the tune itself doesn't bother me. Don't really understand the point of that crushing gate-thing, but whatever, no harm no foul.

The tiramisu-flavored marble is really growing on me, I must say. I think I've only ever seen it juxtaposed with lava, blood, and/or red trim and a burning sky in the past, it goes much better with the green and night sky seen here.

Map03 UV FDA. I played 01 and 02 without recording because was afraid of difficulty, finished them without deaths, but m03 turned out much harder :p.
Very cool, fun and stylysh maps. Also really nice midis also. Moar!

This one is too slaughterish for my taste. It also has a number of things I hate in maps, such as enemies magically appearing out of thin air.

cool stuff, thanks for the demos! That RK grab is way too easy, I guess I should fix that -.-. I also noticed it's possible to SR50 to the YK. Not a huge deal though I guess, given the abundance of AVs in this map there's probably a bajillion other ways to break it too.

Touchdown said:

slaughterish

we need a new word, this seems a silly descriptor for a map that throws at most 8 mobs at a time.

another new map. because crumpets.

map04: tiramisu

extremely small, a bit more polished than the previous map. not hard. cheers dotw for effectively naming this one :)

download [v04]

Aw, I only have a crappy laptop ATM so I cannot play these properly, but the screens certainly look thrilling :)

Woah, excellent screenshots, that texturing theme really appeals to me. Another one on the "to play" list!

can you make sunlust already?

So short now :(. Map03 and 01 design was better IMO.
I failed my FDA, not in form now, how I will play on FDC today :p.

Cool little maps, I recorded some fdas on medium difficulty - that first room on hard was enough to convince me i wouldn't have much fun on UV without saves.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ix9wltbyt29w93a/mouldy-crumpets.zip

I failed on the one with the cyberdemon, that was kind of inevitable really, cyberdemons are pretty much down to luck for me, and i had some bad luck on that map as it was. I'm not a massive fan of the dealing with hordes in confined spaces scenarios, as I am so clumsy that I need plenty of elbow room, but at least there were escape routes in a lot of them. Clever and intricate stuff, I would expect nothing less of course!

moldy crumpets, how delightful :)

Thanks again for the demos and such everyone. it's useful to see them on both difficulties, as I don't tend to balance HMP quite as finely as UV.

40oz said:

can you make sunlust already?

eh, sunlust maps take me like 4x as long to make as these, so at worst this little side venture has delayed its release by 1 map :p

Soon though! sooooon. I think we have 21 or 22 sunlust maps done thus far.

Looks pretty sweet! Will get around to playing this, but I gotta finish my playthrough with Stardate first.

I'm a strumpet for crumpet. (map 04 skill 4 FDA)

Not particularly tough, but I did die once in this one--just didn't realize the second arch-vile had appeared the first time around. It also takes me an embarrassing number of attempts to successfully reach the secret once I figure out where it is, but oh well, c'est la vie.

You probably already saw it in somebody else's demo, but there's some flat bleeding on the steps leading down to the switch in the berserk pack area, should be readily visible in my recording if not.

Other than that, I think this is my favorite one so far. Having played it a few more times, it's a good one for setting everything in the map off at once and then trying to bring it under control again--the areas that close off are easy to open again, and there's just enough space to allow relative freedom of movement, as opposed to the more congested nature of most of map 03. Aesthetically it's a real beaut too. Even if it came out of an oddball/reject collection, the music track really works for me, and the bracket-style arches are a nice visual/thematic centerpiece, particularly the big one rising out of the stone wells with torches.

hihi. remember this project?.. here's a new map:

map05: frog & toad

download [v05]

I had this one nearly done for months now but I was reluctant to continue with this mapset because this one took so much more time to make than the previous ones, it stopped feeling like fun speedmapping... or whatever.. as I became decreasingly unable to resist excessively polishing things -.-. Either way I got some free time recently (holiday breaks and whatnot) so decided to finish it. It's really hard, hold on to your butts! (or just play on a reasonable difficulty)

Hoho(ho). Yes, of course I remember. Trying to get on the Naughty List, I see.

Skill 4 FDA for map 05. I think I forgot to set a particular complevel when I recorded this (I'd blame too much eggnog, except I don't like eggnog), but fortunately none of the simulation differences seemed to ever come into play.

Pretty gnarly. I die twice in this one, although one of those is a forced suicide--you can get trapped in the little shuttered closets near the skullswitch in the small tub of goo (it also occurs to me that it might be possible to vile-jump out of the building through the window near the BFG/blue armor combo, but I've not tested this). It does seem pretty unforgiving, although this isn't so much a result of monster deployment or even space constraint, as it is that ammo is low and attrition is high, so every mistake is pretty costly. I didn't see the whole map, but I'm wondering if maybe an early berserk pack (perhaps in a secret) might be appropriate. On HMP at least, might save you having to nerf monster/ammo balance too much.

Given that it's such a small map, the way the optionality is handled here is pretty interesting...I guess that getting plasma weapons is something of a sidequest you can do by picking a direction after the first teleporter? I got lucky and picked a path that ultimately netted me a BFG, proved quite invaluable at the end in spite of low ammo and a spot of my usual bumbling. I saw a plasma rifle on a ledge I never got, too....that weapon in itself might not have been as useful, but the two bulk cells sitting next to it sure did look tempting. Alas, I hit the exit not really thinking it was the exit (it's been a while since you've made one of these and so I forgot that the yellow key has tended to be the exit key), so I'll have to try that path next time.

I got stuck in that closet DOW mentioned (DOW Jones) on my FDA, after like 7 deathscuzisuckatfda. If I had an eggnog company, I'd call it "Nog of the Egg" in fancy cursive font. I think eggs are the only thing that have ever been made into this so called "nog". I like the "shadow" on the stairs.. sure its just more tiley in the shadow, why not, heh heh, but it actually looks good as a shadow... everything else on the screen is an illusion of pixels so why not fake a shadow.

Unlike DotW, I suffered an embarrassing number of deaths, so I don't really feel like posting my fda. I've beaten the map eventually though, and moreover - I've seen it in its entirety. Cramped fighting is the thing I've always been really bad at unless provided with loads of ammo and not being kicked in the ass with mighty foot behind every corner, obviously not the case here in both aspects, so adjusting to this map's nastiness was barely even possible for me, more like run around and pray, amplified by the fact that I'm playing on my notebook atm and it's much less convenient.
It's still ruthlessly creative, just as always though. Never tried to get stuck anywhere, so there's nothing I could say in that regard. Optionality is interesting indeed, trying to get the key without stronger weapons is really a pain.
Anyway - I'm definitely interested in seeing more. Short maps aren't that frustrating to retry time after time again, that's for sure.

Nice, finally more sweets out of the speed bakery.
Loads of death's until i've managed to beat Map05 but like Demonologist mentioned it's non-frustrating to replay due to the general shortness.
Lookin forward to some more of those.

new map:

map06: shamu

please play this map on HMP.

I decided if I make it to map10 I'll polish it all up a bit, implement HNTR, sort by difficulty, then officially "release" it or whatever. The crumpeting continues...

download [v06]

Ribbiks said:

please play this map on HMP.

Noo no, I hate myself far too much for that. :P

On a side note, I'm up for DeHackiness if you need it.