Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

crumpets.wad [on /idgames]

UPDATE 05/25/2015: Final version released! See download link below.

Crumpets is a set of 9 bite-size boom-compatible maps, designed to be played from pistol start. The levels are small, typically 50-100 monsters a piece, and loosely follow a plutonia / marble-ruins aesthetic. UV is designed for experts, so I encourage most players to start off on HMP.

- replaces DOOM2 maps 1-10
- boom-compatible
- UV and HMP are implemented

DOWNLOAD [/idgames]

FDA.

The Startan wall may not have been intentional, but it kind of worked. :)

Ribbiks said:

- only UV is implemented so far, though I don't intend on any of these maps being overly hard.

Might add lower difficulties as well.

Please do. For me, as a non-slaughter player, it's impossible to beat the first room. :)

I've managed to jump out of the map by riding the two pillars and falling behind the hill. No way out of there.

Really cool map but the opening fight is a bit too much considering the rest of the level is nowhere near as tough.

Cool, thanks for the demos and such. I'll fix all the bugs and such that you guys mentioned. Noticed a few other misc things too while watching: apparently that RK PE teles behind block-monster lines, no good.

Also ToD: I'm pretty stupid, I sort of forgot about that bfg secret -.-

scifista42 said:

Please do. For me, as a non-slaughter player, it's impossible to beat the first room. :)

aiight, subsequent maps will have lower settings upon release. I'll update this map to include them as well.

EDIT: @ggg: heh sorry to hear. previous comments are probably right that the first room is more annoying than anything else in the map, so probably should've toned it down a bit.

Its probably better to design for uvmax than fda anyway. For the start room you can nudge a baron and make it so only the manc and baron are awake to infight = easier.

FDAs, in four files.
1) I die a lot in the first area.
2) I die some more.
3) I eventually get all the monsters in the first area to kill each other, and then do OK until I get overwhelmed by the 2 AVs.
4) I escape the first room as soon as possible, cheese out the AV trap, and then complete the map.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1281406

Fun and good-looking, first room is definitely harder than the rest. It seems like once you clear that, you've always got space to retreat, which makes quite a difference.

It's definitively easier when you escape the starting area as fast as possible, then run up to the right and clear the section near the exit. Then it's just a matter of killing the remaining monsters coming from a single direction.

Yeah I couldn't beat the first room either, basically just ran out, as suggested.

One more FDA for you: https://www.mediafire.com/?mxcfwhfxtdwvfgv

Don't really have much to add here, fun short map with a weird difficulty progression. I read the comments here before playing so I was expecting the first room to be MUCH harder than it turned out to be though. I tried the tactic ggg suggested a few posts above for a couple of attempts, but that didn't get me anywhere so I switched to a more conventional approach after two deaths. 2/2 with that style so I must have immediately found a good strategy heh. Obviously don't think you should tone it down since it felt perfectly doable. The Manc sniped me once after the first room so that's why I had to do the first dance twice. The rest of the map is pretty easy if you just pay some attention. I liked the AV part, could have been trickier than what it looks like in my demo.

Looking forward to seeing more of these!

Veinen said:

I read the comments here before playing so I was expecting the first room to be MUCH harder than it turned out to be though.

I read the comments a bit too, and I think it actually made it harder for me. I went into the map with the mindset that surviving that room was going to be tricky and require a lot of precise infighting-instigation, so that what I tried. However just going back and trying to fight it out normally seems not all that hard, and even though some of that is surely from familiarity with the map, even now I can do it a lot more consistently than any other strategy. It is still the hardest part of the map, though, IMO.

One more FDA for the pile. No deaths, but since I left with only 89% kills and 0% secrets, I strongly suspect I may not have seen at least one very dangerous encounter--seems I forgot about the red switch near the start point, like a dimwit. I did avoid the temptation to read the other comments beforehand this time, at least. I take a pacifistic-troll angle to the first room, which is an approach I seem to find amusing lately....did the same thing for a fairly tough map by Dobu gabu maru that I played recently. Works out pretty well, as luck would have it--the manc was quite cooperative.

It was fun, actually a little gentler than what I expected--and there's nothing wrong with a soft touch from time to time! Kind of reminds me of that series of 'notebook' maps you were doing there for a while, albeit far more aesthetically pleasing (and less bruising to my ego, a couple of those were balls-hard) with a very soothing 'woodland' color scheme and the usual well-chosen BGM. It occurs to me that I seem to enjoy your visual style the most when you use the least amount of metal textures, for one reason or another.

Jesus, whats wrong with you choosing that music? Totally ruined the map...nah, it didnt because the map was yet again very cool =) Didnt find any errors or anything, but then again I didnt look for any either.

darkreaver said:

Jesus, whats wrong with you choosing that music?

originally my plan was just to make sloppy speedmaps and throw some silly music into them. but map01 set the standard too high in terms of seriousness :p. That didn't stop me from choosing the bgm from my "nonsense_midi" folder though, but I very well might change it to something less annoying.

Whoop, whoop! Have an FDA for you! I couldn't get out of the first room on UV, so I had to drop it down to skill 3.

Also, the wad is unfortunately not Boom compatible. Running either of the maps in Boom creates a Segmentation Violation in DOS. I used PrBoom-plus with -complevel 9 instead. The file name is also greater than 8 characters, which makes it tedious to load as a pwad (CRUMPE~1.WAD)

Both maps were alright. Outside of the head crushing difficulty on skill 4, the maps seemed very plain. The only real problem I saw was that both maps had a ton of slime trails, not sure if you care about that sort of thing. Apart from that, they played well on skill 3, but many of the traps were pretty predictable and nothing really stood out for me.

Yes, I'd like another. (map 02 FDA)

I like the way the illuminated main building contrasts with the surrounding darkness. Didn't even mind the music, really.

Still rather gentle, I was surprised the RL fight was so simple. Liked the key fight, though--do I kill the imps so they'll get out of my fucking face, or do I leave them 'til last so that they can handily absorb rev rockets?

TimeOfDeath said:

the exit's made of lava!

Keyboard_Doomer said:

Wouldn't normally post my embarrassing FDA for map02 but I think I found little something that's not supposed to be there :D

neat, you found that a lot quicker than I anticipated anyone would.. :)

BlueFeena said:

Also, the wad is unfortunately not Boom compatible. Running either of the maps in Boom creates a Segmentation Violation in DOS. I used PrBoom-plus with -complevel 9 instead. The file name is also greater than 8 characters, which makes it tedious to load as a pwad (CRUMPE~1.WAD)

I think you're the first person to call me on either of these things. I use the phrase in the way I assume most people interpret it: "boom-compat" = play prb+_cl9 or equivalent port. If you have a descriptor you'd rather me use then I'm all ears :D

Both maps were alright. Outside of the head crushing difficulty on skill 4, the maps seemed very plain. The only real problem I saw was that both maps had a ton of slime trails, not sure if you care about that sort of thing. Apart from that, they played well on skill 3, but many of the traps were pretty predictable and nothing really stood out for me.

fuckin slime trails. they're the main reason I play in gl -.-. And yeah, these maps aren't anything special. just me dicking around in doombuilder drawing lines for a player to dick around and shoot monsters in. Will probably continue until I get bored or exhaust my supply of B-tier midi, whichever comes first.

Demon of the Well said:

nice. made the map look trivial, which I guess it sorta is :p. The low difficulty is intentional, going for some kind of.. light-hearted gameplay I guess. A temporary break from other masochistic mapsets in progress.

FDA (prboom+)

Pretty derpy run on my part, but I managed.

Not the biggest fan of the use of music in the 2nd map, I did like the FFT music in the 1st. Other than that, maybe some weird geometry navigation, but it seemed pretty solid. First map was a better challenge, though.

Ohoh, mapsetssss, he says, tantalizingly.

Nothing wrong with some more easy-going play (or indeed, with easy maps in general, if they're paced/framed well), no moreso than having breather periods in generally hard maps or breather maps in generally hard mapsets. One can think of it as comfort food, if nothing else.

Tuxlar said:

FDA (prboom+)

how the eff did you save while recording a demo? I knew it was possible but I could never figure out how to do it (-complevel -1?). It's definitely convenient for watching them after the fact.

Ribbiks said:

how the eff did you save while recording a demo? I knew it was possible but I could never figure out how to do it (-complevel -1?). It's definitely convenient for watching them after the fact.

Yep, complevel -1 is prboom's last complevel with ability to save/load while playing, iirc.

Fda for map02: http://www.mediafire.com/download/7lwdd6cub8virs1/crumpets_v02_fda.lmp
That midi is amazing.

Edit:
Also UV-speed:
https://www.mediafire.com/?58a912s7786eeqb