Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
scifista42

Thing 42 (editor ID 14): Teleport Exit

Look at Dehacked / Whacked editor at the Things panel and find thing 42: Teleport Exit. Notice how all states are empty. Is this really a blank unused thing, or does it have some important internal use? If the former is true, can I safely replace the thing with a DEHACKED monster, without a risk that some source port might break?

You shouldn't replace that thing, unless you aren't going to use any teleporters in your map. It has no states defined because it does not need any special behavior; it's an invisible thing used as a teleporter destination for when a player\monster teleports to a sector that the teleporter destination thing is in.

I see, thanks. I didn't realize it might be a teleport destination. Okay then, I'll not mess with it.

In Doom Builder you can edit any thing, give it type X and see what that object is...

Unlike player starts, teleport destinations actually spawn a dummy actor (MT_TELEPORTMAN), which is (normally) invisible and sessile, and function by copying their coordinates to the actor being teleported. This is why teleport destinations are affected by difficulty settings while player starts are not (players are not spawned from dummy actors). Like all actors, teleport destinations can be messed with in DeHackEd, though whether you should mess with them is another matter (you especially shouldn't make them obstacles or mobile, for instance).

Foxpup said:

though whether you should mess with them is another matter (you especially shouldn't make them obstacles or mobile, for instance).

Why not make them mobile (then restrict their movement with monster blocking linedef flags)? It would be interesting to have variable teleport destinations.

A floating IOS target is like a specter coming to kill you by directing the cubes into you.

Would be nice to also have a stationary teleport exit, that would work for both players and monsters. But at least the IOS targets were more interesting this way than them being stationary.

Also interesting is that the teleport exits or the IOS targets can teleport.

They just do 2 teleflashes at the same location. If they were shootable, player would telefrag it, and monsters wouldn't teleport (except in map30). I think it doesn't telefrag itself if it was shootable.

printz said:

Why not make them mobile (then restrict their movement with monster blocking linedef flags)? It would be interesting to have variable teleport destinations.

Hmm, didn't think of that. Yeah, that could be pretty cool, actually.