Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Two maps for -complevel 2. The idea was that I can't spend more than one day per map, but after these maps I'm not so enthusiastic about the idea anymore. Obviously they are subpar quality levels and I've heard that quantity over quality is bad. So I probably won't continue this endeavour.

Heh, the title made me think that it was for Plutonia. I'll have to check these out tomorrow (I'll provide FDA's too, if I remember), and I am sure I won't be disappointed given the thread starter.

I don't like "I'll check it out later" comments since they don't contain any useful information and usually the guy doesn't post in the thread again. :(((

Oh, maybe should have mentioned that the maps replaced are 9 and 23.

I wish you'd stop with this self-deprecating nonsense, these are the sort of maps I like to play. The only quibble I had was the damaging blood on map09 (the other map is map23 for those playing at home) but really, I made it to the exit on the first try, so it means nothing.

EDIT: I haven't played Doom all year, but your maps will bring me out to play. Does that make you feel better at all?

Khorus said:

I wish you'd stop with this self-deprecating nonsense

Agreed. People are happy with your stuff man. Enjoy what you do :D

I don't like "I'll check it out later" comments since they don't contain any useful information

It shows interest. That's useful information to me. YMMV.

Khorus: I don't feel bad about anything really, I just realized that this one day on map method produces results that I find subpar in many ways so I dropped the idea. The fact that someone liked or disliked these maps won't change the way I see them I think. That would be kind of strange, a bit like mind control. o,o

Phml: I can't help but think of such posts as just "postcount++"s. Probably because in the past I used to make similar posts with no intention of actually checking out anything. Lol it's so embarrassing to think of my early internet days.

Guest Unregistered account

These maps are amazing! Level 9 has great gameplay/pace, and the sniper enemies, Imps and Mancubi differ from your regular Chaingunner (although there are a few sniper Chaingunners) and Revenant ones.

I do not believe in using the ]Resurrect command (I automatically play just-downloaded WADs in Zandronum), so I barely got at all far in Level 23. What I have glimpsed of it, though, seems fantastic!

As far as music goes, I think that theme from Gothic DeathMatch (plays on Level 2: Plaza at The End of The World, and possibly others) goes with level 9. I was about to argue that one of the Doom II songs would've fitted better, but then realised it wouldn't have nearly the same feel and hey, after 50,000 WADs, the original music gets (a little) jarring, huh?

Level 23's... I don't know where it's from. Where is it from? Either way, it's very creepy and "tinkly" and sets the atmosphereWOAHOLY SHIT, that scared me!
Sorry, it really sets the atmosphere and I think, from what I've seen, it's great.

And these were made in a day each? Wow! I'm not sure why you criticize them. Were they tedious to make or something? :/

Also, love the new textures.

joe-ilya decided to share his thoughts:
MAP09 is terrible.

Hey look, another commenWHAT!? *Spits out drink*

____
O_O

Joe667 said:

Hey look, another commeWHAT!? *Spits out drink*

____
O_O

Too many enemies and not enough health and also damaging floors with that.
Playing MAP23 now.
Also a bad map, I got the same frustration as I had at MAP09, I think you should stick to your weekly single level wad.
FDA for MAP23 : https://www.mediafire.com/?kt2pdsv047zdvsv
I RQ'd, that level's ridicilous. Put soulspheres.

Joe667 said:

I'm not sure why you criticize them.

map09 is overall bare looking, especially the main area. Some uninteresting encounters were added just to fill the space with monsters. It's bugged, you can get stuck by jumping down without taking the yellow key. Overall it just isn't that good, nothing special for the most part, only the yellow key room with its scenarios is truly interesting. And it feels incomplete too, at the end it just doesn't feel like it's time for the map to end.

map23 is full of filler material as well, especially the evil eye location is so lame\rectangular, but maybe the circle of monsters + plasmagun is even worse, I really had zero ideas at that point (map was made on the next day after 09). The revenant ambush at the exit is pathetic too, only berserk + demons trap would have been more cliched. Very bare looking outside area again, and again only one area - the start in this case - really has something interesting. Too short as well.

So just average maps made even worse by all the filler and lack of ideas. An obvious sign that I shouldn't do speedmapping often if I don't want to embarass myself.

edit: forgot to say, map23 music is from Descent I think.

Well for joe-ilya, "bad" means "I can't beat this" I guess. But snide remarks aside you could make these more friendly for lower skill levels by starting the player off with a megasphere or something.

Anyhow more FDAs for anyone that might want to see them:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1281741

Map09 was fun, I liked the open layout even though it's a pretty directed path that you have to take. Map23 was a lot harder and more hectic but once I slowed myself down, it was manageable. The first half of that map was definitely where the challenge was though, survive until you get the plasma rifle and you're in good shape.

Memfis said:

I don't like "I'll check it out later" comments since they don't contain any useful information and usually the guy doesn't post in the thread again. :(((

Oh, maybe should have mentioned that the maps replaced are 9 and 23.

I have something called a life so no thanks to that post count bullshit. Just showing an interest as you're one of my favourite mappers. FDA for Map 09. I see Joe Ilya's chatting shit again as I found that ammo was good the overall layout was excellent and very Plutonia esque. It could have been a little harder though. Some deaths due to silly mistakes and little lag in places. Map 23 I unfortunately don't have an FDA of (because I took a little look around and forgot to record) but the visuals are excellent too, I also like the AVJ route you snuck in there.

I thought these maps were pretty damn cool TBH. Also I didnt think they looked bare. More like some not-that-modern maps, and I quite liked that.

Speaking of...I did the same thing as you (Plutonium Winds). Make one map per day thingie, and I had to give up after 5 or so maps because I wanted to add more to the looks and stuff, and some maps became much bigger than planned. I simply wasnt satisfied (as you said about your maps) with the outcome becasue of the limits I put on myself. So...dont hold on to those limits of one map per day if you dont feel like it, thats my 5 cents.

But again, cool maps nevertheless ;)