Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cupboard

Mafia round 4 - DAY 5 Town Victory!

Anyone willing to participate in a 4th Mafia game?

A dozen people would be good. Following the path of the first, second & third. I plan to monitor this topic for a week (7+ days) to see if anyone wants to play again. Fresh faces will help shake things up, even if you might be a new player.

The basic idea is there are 2 teams: pro-town and anti-town. Both teams vote and discuss during the Day who they will vote to lynch (i.e. remove from the game, dead). In order to lynch a player, the whole group must decide by simple majority (51% or greater). Then everyone goes to sleep and players with secret roles send the game host (me) a private message saying how they will use their power. At the end of every Night, the anti-town Mafia send me a message saying who they have decided to kill. Then they go back to sleep and the next Day, the whole group gets back together and the game host says what happened during the Night (usually someone is killed and news is revealed). Then the lynch process begins again. It is a soft rule that you can't reveal your role, but if you think it's necessary, you may claim a role, lie about a role, guess another person's role, or lie about another person's role. No game discussions are permitted outside this thread besides those players who have a special power. During the Day, all players can post. During the Night, no one will post in this thread and players with power roles will send me a PM describing their actions.

The Town has certain power roles acting in its favor, such as the Detective, Doctor, Psychopath, Vigilante, etc. I will describe these roles as people sign up. The Mafia have the ability to Night-kill a select Townsperson in order to turn the tables in their favor.

The Town wins if all Mafia are killed. The Mafia wins if the Town is killed or neutralized by the voting process. A lynch vote looks like this:

vote TheCupboard

Go ahead, ask questions and please sign up.

List:
1. GreyGhost (murdered, Night 3: Vigilante)
2. Cacatou (alive, Doctor)
3. flubbernugget (murdered, Night 3: Mafia agent)
4. Superluigieth1 (lynched, Day 1: Townsperson)
5. CorSair (alive, Detective)
6. Jimi (lynched, Day 2: Townsperson)
7. bytor (lynched, Day 4: Mafia agent)
8. RUSH (lynched, Day 5: Mafia Godfather)
9. Pure Hellspawn (lynched Day 3: Bulletproof Townsperson)
10. Kirby (murdered Night 4: Prostitute)
11. Clonehunter (alive, Psychopath)
12. Membrain (murdered, Night 2: Kamikaze)
13. Krispy (murdered, Night 1: Townsperson)

As far as you know, everyone around you claims to be a Townsperson of Doomworld. When, in fact, there are 2 murderous Mafia agents plotting against you who are led by a devious Mafia Godfather. 3 of you really are vanilla Townspeople, 1 is a protective Doctor, 1 discerning Detective, 1 unpredictable Psychopath, 1 sensuously deadly Prostitute, 1 Bulletproof Townsperson, 1 explosively volatile Kamikaze, and 1 trigger-happy Vigilante. Everyone's role is a secret until they are Night-murdered or lynched by the Town.

Role Descriptions:

2 Mafia with Night-kill ability (must be unanimous, 1 kill for the team) + lynch vote
1 Mafia Godfather with Night-kill ability and he is undetectable to a Detective's investigation he will always appear innocent unless investigated by the Psychopath + lynch vote
1 Doctor with Night-protect ability, + lynch vote
1 Detective with Night-investigation ability, + lynch vote
1 Kamikaze with detonation ability (kills last player to vote against him upon a lynch) + lynch vote
1 Vigilante with Night-kill ability (works once only), + lynch vote
1 Bulletproof Townsperson with ability to resist being Night-killed by another player (works once; does not protect against lynch, Prostitute's spell, or Kamikaze's bomb), + lynch vote
1 Psychopath with wildcard ability: Night-investigation, Night-protection, Night-role-block, Night-kill, + lynch vote
1 Prostitute with Night-self protection ability (works twice) also able to commit a delayed Night-kill 2 days after visiting her targets + lynch vote
3 Townspeople with no abilities besides lynch vote

Count me in. I think it would be cool to see a fool in this round, a role that wins by getting themselves lynched.

And TheCupboard if you ever decide you want to play a game or two I wouldn't mind hosting, although my narration skills aren't as strong as yours.

I'm in.. hopefully this time my activeness isn't interrupted by some holiday thing...

*whips out trusty pen*

"bytc"

*shakes trusty pen vigorously*

"bytor"

flubbernugget said:

And TheCupboard if you ever decide you want to play a game or two I wouldn't mind hosting...

Hey thanks for the offer man, I might just take you up on that! Maybe after this game, assuming that enough interest can be gathered to keep this going.

And Bytor, I'm going to assume that counts as a sign-up, if not please let me know somehow!

wut...Did I sign in the wrong place? It says right here...it says:

thread title says:
Mafia round 4: Sign-ups

Did you think I was handing out autographs?

Teasing. Yeah, I'm in. ;)

Hmm... "bytor & the snow dog" is a definite RUSH reference! As in a song on their second album Fly By Night....

Meaning I will be back.

Sign this pink bloated puffball back up. I'm getting better at refining my mafia-hunting skills >:)

Can there be a town prostitute who can't be killed when (s)he is with a client? Then the client gets syphilis and won't hire the hooker anymore, and also dies from his symptoms in two days. Also the client has no choice, the hooker chooses who receives his/her services. If (s)he chooses a mafia agent, (s)he dies.

I will only play if this character gets added.

Krispy said:

Can there be a town prostitute who can't be killed when (s)he is with a client? Then the client gets syphilis and won't hire the hooker anymore, and also dies from his symptoms in two days. Also the client has no choice, the hooker chooses who receives his/her services. If (s)he chooses a mafia agent, (s)he dies.

That's not a bad game mechanic, I will sleep on it and make a decision about balance in order to add this character. How many times does the prostitute pick a client, once?

Kamikaze can probably appear in this game, GG.

I am also thinking about adding Insane Cop/Rookie Cop/Hardened Cop. Insane Cop investigates one person each night and gets the opposite investigation outcome of what the player really is. Rookie Cop's investigations always turn up innocent. Hardened Cop's investigations always turn up guilty of being Mafia. All these Cops would be told they are a Detective in their character role private message. I would only add one of those Cop flavors; for a game our size we would only need two versions of the Detective role, just to add chaotic vibes and make it so the Detective doesn't roleclaim during the first couple of days.

TheCupboard said:

How many times does the prostitute pick a client, once?

Well, whatever you think is balanced. That also goes for how long the clients live after contracting syphilis.

Krispy said:

Well, whatever you think is balanced. That also goes for how long the clients live after contracting syphilis.

I think two clients would be reasonable, after all, our games tend to last less than 6 "game days". So just because someone ends up being the prostitute's John doesn't mean it's necessarily a death-wish, 2 days of survival is pretty generous, after all they might get Night-killed by Mafia, Vigilante, or Kamikaze before dying of venereal disease.

As of this post, we are taking any last calls who are interested in playing a game with us. With 14 people signed up, this could be our largest and most inclusive game yet!

oh gawd Krispy wants to bring his dirty hookers :/

Pimp/Mafia! I vote Krispy!

What about alien abductions? Someone could be an alien disguised as a human, and then the alien abducts another player and install an anal probe, which makes that player work for the aliens. The goal for the aliens is not so much to kill the others, but to convert them.

But maybe only the original alien can convert others. The abducted/converted players's roles/powers could have some change, at least know who are the other players on the alien side (through telepathic Private Messages). Maybe if the doctor gets converted, he could gain the alien abduction/conversion role (then there could be 2 conversions per night).

When/If all remaining players end up working for the aliens, then the aliens win.

If the original alien gets killed (and doctor wasn't converted yet), the alien side can't get more members? Or maybe select one of them at random to give the abductor role?

If there are more than one alien at the start, they would only be able to convert 1 player. So they'd only get the double conversion if they can get the doctor converted (and lose it, if the doctor gets killed).

If the detective investigates the alien players (the originals), maybe he could become immune the conversion? Otherwise he can become one of them.

I think you're losing sight of the spirit of the game. It's supposed to be about a grungy town full of mafia fighting against townsfolk and other shady figures for control. Aliens is just too much, it takes away from the feel, I think.

Yeah Jimi I'm not a huge fan of aliens being introduced, however what you are describing I believe has been implemented in a number of Mafia games that I've read through. The mechanism of a "3rd team" has taken the form of Cultists who start off as a small faction, usually only 1-2 players, except one of the Cult members is the "Cult leader" who has the power to gradually convert other players to the Cult faction. The Cult wins when they can lynch the other side without failure if they chose to vote as a bloc. I think sometimes there is a chance of an unsuccessful conversion attempt by the Cult leader.

Also for a 3rd team you can make a group of "Masons" who have no powers except for the ability to PM each other and vote as a coherent group in the lynch process if they want.

I believe in some versions there is a Mafia Godfather who is immune to being investigated by a Detective/Cop and and the Godfather occasionally can recruit a new Mafia player.

The thing with all these intricate roles is that you need a pretty large group who have played Mafia many times so they develop strategy.

If you guys are looking for play with fancier roles and game play check out either epicmafia.com or mafiascum.net.

I still want there to be a fool though. :p

All right chaps, we have 13 players this time around. Read carefully, quite a few characters have been added/removed.

All PMs containing character roles have been sent. Keep your character info private! You never know who is out to get you.

2 Mafia with Night-kill ability (must be unanimous, 1 kill for the team) + lynch vote
1 Mafia Godfather with Night-kill ability and he is undetectable to a Detective's investigation he will always appear innocent unless investigated by the Psychopath + lynch vote
1 Doctor with Night-protect ability, + lynch vote
1 Detective with Night-investigation ability, + lynch vote
1 Kamikaze with detonation ability (kills last player to vote against him upon a lynch) + lynch vote
1 Vigilante with Night-kill ability (works once only), + lynch vote
1 Bulletproof Townsperson with ability to resist being Night-killed by another player (works once; does not protect against lynch or Kamikaze's bomb), + lynch vote
1 Psychopath with wildcard ability: Night-investigation, Night-protection, Night-role-block, Night-kill, + lynch vote
1 Prostitute with Night-self protection ability (works twice) also able to commit a delayed Night-kill 2 days after visiting her targets + lynch vote
3 Townspeople with no abilities besides lynch vote

3 anti-Town players (Mafia + Godfather) vs. 10 pro-Town (Doctor, Detective, Kamikaze, Vigilante, Bulletproof, Psychopath, Prostitute, 3 Townies) players. Make sense? I can explain the roles a little more in-depth if you have questions but it will make more sense once we just start playing.

Several new roles for us to become acquainted with, nice. Does the Godfather act alone and are the other mafiosi aware of his identity? Would be fun if we had a "turf war" break out.

Heh, well for this game, the Mafia players are aware of the Godfather's identity and the Godfather is aware of their's. The Mafia as a team can still kill only one player per Night. It's just that one of their ranks is very good at hiding from investigations by the Detective.

Please reply to your PMs as soon as possible so we can get this show on the road. Never be afraid to ask questions, I will clarify as best I can.

Now when thinking through, detective has now fun time trying to find Godfather among the innocent. :D