Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
damson

Apocalypse - a custom Doom 2 map

Hey there. I just wanted to post this map that I made for Doom 2(MAP21) and hear your opinions about it. It's not a very long level that takes place in an old factory during the apocalypse. I don't really want to post screenshots since this is just one level, but here's a shot of the starting area.

http://imgur.com/cK5Qnz7

Please feel free to comment your experience.

The map can be found here: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=levels/doom2/a-c/apoclyps.zip

This is an interesting map in a strange way. Visually-wise, it has characteristics of a crappy map, like straight from the year 1994 when people were learning map editors. These characteristics are: random weird texturing, tiling and aligning, random weird shapes of the architecture, and not getting the size of rooms right (in your case, it's very oversized).

On the other hand, structurally the map is intriguing at times, if I overlook the abovementioned faults. Some of your gigantic rooms and shapes showed interesting patterns to look at. I admit that such an oversize is unique. I liked the place where you imitated light casting by different variations of a linoleum floor texture. I believe the progression flow of this map was well done too, there's both linearity and nonlinearity. You also managed to incorporate some unorthodox mechanics in the map (floor / stairs effects), which I find great.

Gameplay and combat-wise, the map provides enough for a pleasant game. There are no traps or setpiece battles, which is uncommon. As a result, the map has little challenging and interesting combat situation in a traditional way - but the various monster ledges and the cyber/spiderdemon are challenging in their own way well. At first I wanted to advise you to incorporate some traps / challenges that would provide more difficult fights while effectively preventing the player from rushing and skipping the fights - but I'm actually very okay with the way this map worked. I didn't feel motivation to skip fights, perhaps it'd turn out as impossible anyways.

I really liked the soulsphere pillar secret. The other secret was bad, though. I didn't like pushable walls without any indication that the wall was pushable - one such wall was even hiding the mandatory red door. (EDIT: But it might have been a shortcut, there was probably other way around too, to be fair.)

To sum it up: This map is textured, sized and shaped in an ugly way, which would deserve heavy improvement, but aside from that I'm able to see a lot of good in the map. It flows and plays quite fine, and several ideas are interesting in concept (if not in visual execution). Nice work.

Yeah, just looking at that shot I can tell you need to do more to break up the huge flat walls and make it more visually interesting.

Hey thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you overall enjoyed it.

Regarding my architecture style: I don't really have a tendency to pack my maps with intricate detailing. IMO Doom/Doom2 style looks the best.

damson said:

Regarding my architecture style: I don't really have a tendency to pack my maps with intricate detailing. IMO Doom/Doom2 style looks the best.

IMO too. But looking at this map, it's not really the style of Doom/Doom2 at all. Amount of detail doesn't make good aesthetics on its own. It's more about architecture shaping and texturing, and that's what I was talking about. Underdetailed maps can manage to look good (and not wonky) too - here is an outstanding example.