Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
perkristian

Hi-res Duke Nukem 3D sound effects

Recommended Posts

While I was looking for sounds for the hi-res Doom sound pack, I stumbeled upon quite a few Duke Nukem 3D sounds. I've "only" found 55 sounds, so it's far from a complete pack. Still though; it's fun to listen to better versions of these classic sounds, like "mice3", "glass" and of course "squish" :-P

Here's the pack:
http://www.perkristian.net/misc/pk_duke3d_sfx.zip

If you plan on using them in a mod or something, remeber where you got them ;-)

Share this post


Link to post

I always disliked Duke Nukem 3D's door swinging and lightswitch sounds.

Even an earier game like Blood had much better sounds than Duke Nukem 3D.

Share this post


Link to post
Avoozl said:

I always disliked Duke Nukem 3D's door swinging and lightswitch sounds.

Even an earier game like Blood had much better sounds than Duke Nukem 3D.


Blood came out after Duke.

Share this post


Link to post

This is awesome, thanks! :D

I encoded all the WAVs in your pack as FLAC (and fixed the capitalization on one file) so that EDuke32 can open them properly.

http://hendricks266.duke4.net/stuff/pk_duke3d_sfx_20140627.zip

At present, we don't have any code to look for "flyby.flac" before "flyby.voc", for example, like we do for the MIDI music, so using this in-game would take either a def file or a CON file, neither of which has an efficient method of loading as a mutator without creating an ugly batch file to use command line parameters. Watch the SVN log and our synthesis build system in the coming days for streamlined loading support for this pack and packs like it.

EDIT: If you want to use it now, I wrote a def-generating bash script to make the appropriate defs. First, download the zip I linked above and put it in a subfolder of your EDuke32 folder named autoload. Then, download this def file and put it in your EDuke32 folder. Next, you have two options. You can rename "pk_duke3d_sfx_20140627.def" to "duke3d.def" if you are using no other music, HRP, or other types of packs. Or, run EDuke32 with the following command line parameters (either manually or from a batch file):

eduke32.exe -mh pk_duke3d_sfx_20140627.def

Share this post


Link to post

Technically, converting them all to VOC would work immediately, but that would be a format downgrade. In this case, your flyby.wav is 16-bit and 32000 Hz, while your flyby.voc is 8-bit and 31573 Hz.

EDIT: It seems EDuke32 currently has a bug that treats all FLAC sound effects as infinitely looping tracks. Sorry about that... I'll fix it when I add the voc-->flac replacement code.

Share this post


Link to post

b2die03, pigrg and squish sound juicy. Needs Duke quotes too.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for this pack Quaker540!

I wasn't aware of the PSX sounds for DN3D, this will indeed help. The Duke quotes are noticeable better here, even though they're only 11kHz. Wish there were more 22kHz sounds, but I think I'll be able to locate the source for the pistol sound now - sounds similar to the ones used in Rise of the Triad.

Share this post


Link to post

Just to be clear, those are the PSX sound rips I did a while ago. A full and more accurate rip has been done for the Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown PC port team by a guy named Nukey here:
http://forums.duke4.net/topic/7109-wip-duke-nukem-total-meltdown-lite/page__view__findpost__p__194714

Also, you should be aware that some of the PSX sounds are completely different from the PC version.

Share this post


Link to post
perkristian said:

Thanks for this pack Quaker540!

I wasn't aware of the PSX sounds for DN3D, this will indeed help. The Duke quotes are noticeable better here, even though they're only 11kHz. Wish there were more 22kHz sounds, but I think I'll be able to locate the source for the pistol sound now - sounds similar to the ones used in Rise of the Triad.


Don't forget that HeXen/Heretic/Strife also use Duke Nukem 3D sounds. If you can find/create HeXen/Heretic/Strife HD sounds, you will probably find lots of Duke Nukem 3D sounds.

Also, don't forget to check out Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project! Without Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project, I wouldn't find an remastered version of FLYBY.VOC

Yes, Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project has the FLYBY.VOC sound, in 44100kHz and 16-bit depth and in .OGG format, you'll easily notice this sound at the end of the game. If you open the ZIPFS files, go to the "episode 8" file, and extract the sound.

So, the culprits this HD sound pack has are;

"predpn.wav", "Bos1rm.wav", "octarm.wav" and "scuba.wav", they sound like in reality are MUCH lower quality, I bet they could be 22500kHz due to how low quality they sound. It's like you just added some noise reduction and sample them up, probably that's what you did.

I'll include a modified version of this sound pack soon.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for all your work on these sound packs. I'm pretty sure that Duke3D and Quake 1 share some sounds between the pig cop and the ogre, though I don't know what quality Quake's sounds are.

Share this post


Link to post

"fscrm10", "predpn" and "bos1rm" are from a vintage sound archive so they simply don't sound any better.

"octarm" is slowed down from 44kHz to 21kHz to make it sound right, so you loose a lot of the sound quality, and the original source for "scuba" is underwater bubbles, so there is no high frequencies.

"pigrg" which is indeed also used on the ogre in Quake, is also slowed down quite a bit, so some quality is lost. It seems to be a little time-stretched too, I'll modify it for a update.

"preddy" is a slowed down version of the extreme death scream in Doom.

The "waramb"-sounds and "wpnsel21" are also from an old sound archive (the same source as for the BFG fireball), but got better with some filtering.

Most of the sounds are from the Sound Ideas libraries, but the episode 2/3 boss sounds are taken from the t-rex in Jurassic Park.

I've found a few more Duke3D sounds and tweaked some of the PSX sounds, so there will be a update for this pack. The PSX Duke quotes sounds a bit better than the PC version, but they're still difficult to improve any further. A few of the quotes are reused in Duke Nukem Forever, but while it is Jon St. John, they don't sound exactly the same...

Does anyone have the Manhattan Project sound files easily at hand?

Share this post


Link to post

perkristian said:
"pigrg" which is indeed also used on the ogre in Quake, is also slowed down quite a bit, so some quality is lost. It seems to be a little time-stretched too, I'll modify it for a update.

[/b]

I knew that it was the Ogre in Quake! :)

Don't forget that there's an HD sound pack for Quake. As I can remember it contains some Ogre sounds. http://gfx.quakeworld.nu/details/384/mindgridaudio-high-resolution-quake-1-sounds/[/b]

perkristian said:
"preddy" is a slowed down version of the extreme death scream in Doom.


The first part with the "AGH" is indeed the extreme death scream in Doom, but the rest is probably DSPOSDTH3 (It can be what I said but mixed with the other scream, I'll check that when I'll be back in my Laptop).

perkristian said:
The "waramb"-sounds and "wpnsel21" are also from an old sound archive (the same source as for the BFG fireball), but got better with some filtering.


"Waramb*" actually sounds completely awesome, "wpnsel21" too, but "wpnsel21" can be better by having the PSX sound as a base and adding some filters? Or the sound was better in quality in that archive?

perkristian said:
Most of the sounds are from the Sound Ideas libraries, but the episode 2/3 boss sounds are taken from the t-rex in Jurassic Park.

I've found a few more Duke3D sounds and tweaked some of the PSX sounds, so there will be a update for this pack. The PSX Duke quotes sounds a bit better than the PC version, but they're still difficult to improve any further. A few of the quotes are reused in Duke Nukem Forever, but while it is Jon St. John, they don't sound exactly the same...

Does anyone have the Manhattan Project sound files easily at hand? [/B]


Open the ZIPFS files with 7-Zip. At the moment, I'm not in my Laptop so I can't really do much, but when I'll be back I'll PM them to you.

Share this post


Link to post

I've edited my first post with some very useful information, if you want take a look at it above!

As for Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project, look the "Episode 8" file. There is a sound which is actually the FLYBY.VOC in rich high quality. Also, the Pistol sounds almost sound the same if you downsample it to 8000 kHz and 8 bit depth. Many sounds, if edited, could be a lot useful.

Share this post


Link to post

I forgot to post this...

I recently looked over the Wolfenstein 3D sounds. Wolfenstein 3D sounds are a little bit higher quality compared to some Duke Nukem 3D sounds (7042 kHz, still low though). Luckily enough, when I searched the Hitler's sounds I realized that his step sound is VENTBUST.VOC, and I was really surprised with that! Though, Hitler's step sound is a modified version of VENTBUST.VOC (And in some parts stretched), but most parts from the sound are in much higher quality. If someone can find an HQ Wolfenstein 3D Hitler Step sound, I'll make a good replica!

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×