Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
plums

Stuff that's awesome in the Doom community

GoatLord said:
Why wasn't this thread titled, "Stuff that's awesome in the Doom community"? Seems like that would be a more worthwhile endeavor.

I love how there's still so much new content for this game that you would need to play it 24/7 to see it all. There's also so much variety; simple single player maps, extremely hard maps, speedrunning, DM, gameplay mods that twist Doom into doing things far beyond what was imagined for it... it's all there.

Also despite the regular bickering and flaming that goes on sometimes, for an internet community about video games this forum seems fairly mature on the whole. Probably a result of so many old farts who have been playing Doom for 20 years :p

I think the editing tools like SLADE and Doombuilder 2 plus all the ports, created for free by talented programmers are really awesome.

There is still those dedicated to this game, it's mods and community and still thriving for decades. Not many other games have that kind of community now do they?

Amazingly thorough demo archive managed by just one person. When I got interested in the Elastomania scene again, it was really disappointing to find out that they don't have such a centralized archive. When you want to watch replays of some random level, you have to ask on the forum and hope that someone still has something. Luckily this isn't the case with Doom speedrunning, and Andy Olivera and Opulent are awesome for that.

Yeah, the number of centralized resources is pretty great, especially since it's been proven that they can stay around long-term.

Watching entertaining fellow Doom streamers like Kingdime and Tarnsman.

Also that the Doom community continues to be so varied and interesting after so many years with what it creates wad-wise. I wish I'd been part of it earlier.

That one can have mature conversations about miscellaneous topics on this forum. It's like in real life. Sometimes I have trouble remembering whether something I spoke previously was with my coworkers or fellow Doomers.

Great developer community. I learned a lot from their software and am still learning. Helped me get hired. Almost all my hobby projects revolve around Doom or Wolf3D.

I second the The Demo archive. It is really nice to know that the 8 demos I did will be around a long time. as well as the countless other ones.

the resource Database and amount of new stuff turned out. It is just so easy to find new stuff keeping me coming back.

So, you put goatlord's idea into place. good.

what is awesome in the community is post hell, where people can see other stupid people's posts.

How you managed to turn that quote border into a hyperlink is pretty amazing. Also awesome thread, this forum could do with a lot more positivity :)

Anyway, to put it simply, my favorite part of the community is its diversity. Sometimes a community shrinks to a select few people and those people tend to get really closely knit and set in their ways. This community has a steady influx of new mappers/players/doomies, and also has a solid framework of oldheads that will never leave. There are plenty people who will brazenly state that this and this = bad, and there are plenty to argue the subjective nature of it, where many people will actively share their differing opinions, which eventually lead to agreeing to disagree, which IMO is the best possible solution.

There's people fucking I hate, and there's a shit ton more people that I love, and in the end many of them have made their selfless contributions to the community, giving a game thats almost as old as me an everlasting healthy existence. There's so many other great games that simply never got even a fraction of the community background that Doom got, and I'm very fortunate to have my one and only favorite game also retain an endless supply of user-made content that will fulfill me for the rest of my life.

I couldn't ask for more.

40oz said:

How you managed to turn that quote border into a hyperlink is pretty amazing.

Post edited so that the bottom border also links ;)

And yeah it does seem like people focus on the negative sometimes, so I thought GoatLord's idea was a good one.

Community Chest series is a definite, the Slaughterfest series can be added too as one of the most fun wad series that I have played, 32in24 series and Ribbiks' maps (might as well add Sunder too). Time of Death's demos are a must watch along with gggmork's awesome keyboard skills, Jay 4 Rio Dejaneiro's demos and Okuplok's. The community in general is pretty awesome (if you exclude some of the Zandronum player base).

The fact that you're all so nice and helpful.

Also, the talented people who go out of their way to create some of the best maps and utilities for this 20 year old game.

Also, let's give a warm round of applause for Ty Halderman, who has been going out of his way to clean up and moderate the /idgames archive for so long.

I won't say much different than other people above, but these are the things I find awesome in the Doom community:

That the community stays alive - and even extends. I mean, people keep coming in, and some of them turn out as talented mappers / modders.

That the mapping, modding, resource making, discussing Doom topics, interest in Doom, reviewing maps, speedrunning, (and mainly) playing Doom still continues.

That there's already a huge amount and variety of custom maps and mods, where level design and gameplay usually takes precedence above visuals or realism, which I personally prefer.

That there are some pretty talented / experienced people here, who keep producing works that are pretty awesome.

That the community isn't entirely "stuck in time", but it "evolves", mapping standards get improved, people's views on the game (or other games) change, etc.

That there's a lot of people willing to help others, either in amateur modding projects or anything else. Also people who are willing to help the community in a long term, and take it honestly (like Ty Halderman, DW and other Doom-related forum's staff).

That I can be part of the community and don't really have to do anything for it, while I'm allowed to interact with other people who share my interest in Doom. :)

Clonehunter said:

The fact no one collectively refers to Doom players as Doomies.

That's because the actual word is "Doomers".

1. Source port dev teams and programmers.
2. Mappers
3. Maintainers of content (/idgames, doomwiki, doomworld in general)
4. The fact that people act mature and respect differences of opinions without holding personal grudges - i.e. I remember Fraggle pointing out that what I had said was plain bullshit, but he still offered me help and assistance when I asked for it on the forum.

Doom community - you're the real MVP! :)