Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Breezeep

Scariest monsters in video games

The Wraiths in Doom 3 gave me a good start. After going through a third of the game or so and seeing introductions for any non-zombie enemy, the sudden appearance of the Wraith and they're incredibly loud screech sorta put me off on the first encounter. Interestingly, they do have a kind of introductory cutscene, but not until after they actually appear (Though that could be a result of playing on harder difficulties).

Half-Life headcrab zombies were also mildly disturbing.

to me. those golems from hexen 2 scared the crap out of me when I was younger. They were tougher than archers and spiders that were common enemies I've fought and those loud footsteps didn't help make them less intimidating. Then again, I was 6 when I played hexen 2. I'm not scared of them anymore.

Friday the 13th for NES used to scare the shit out of me when I was a kid. So I would have to say, Jason Voorhees.

This also gives me an idea for a WAD...

Kontra Kommando said:

Friday the 13th for NES use to scare the shit out of me when I was a kid. So I would have to say, Jason Voorhees.

This also gives me an idea for a WAD...

what's also kinda scary it's one of the rare few, almost decent games LJN has ever made.

reality 2.0 said:

what's also kinda scary it's one of the rare few, almost decent games LJN has ever made.

I was a very big Jaws fan growing up. I also loved the game.

Technician said:

Quake's monsters were always disturbing to me.

Especially getting punched by Spawns in the dark E4 maps.

When I first played Morrowind, I was exploring and I came across a Tomb, I entered it and went pretty far without encountering a monster then when I turned a corner I encountered This, I went my way to the entrance while it was chasing me and after that I never went into a tomb for a long time.

Basilisks. Especially in Baldur's Gate. If you didn't happen to have any protection from petrification, you're fucked. No monsters to act as meat shield? Tough shit son. And still from this day, I hate'em.

Also, Elder Vampires, Lichs and friggin' daedras (or fuck, daedra lords) in Daggerfall. Especially if you hit in some random dungeon which contains low level monsters. (And I still find some of the monster's sounds making my neck hair stand.)

The facehuggers from the Aliens vs. Predator series. Granted, you already knew to be scared shitless of them from the movies and whatnot, so I don't know if that's really fair, but dear God, see one in a room and I'd be lighting the whole damn area up like it was Christmas. Heck, they gave me the willies in Aliens TC, even though they didn't even technically have the ability to latch onto your face. I'm sure there are a few bosses from the Castlevania series that also freaked me out, but it's hard to pick just one.

Oh, the fast headcrab zombies from HL2 (also poison headcrabs). And lost souls from Doom 3. Ugh, they were just unsettling. Oh, and the original design for the trites. Tapped into my fears from The Thing before they got all silly and too insect-like (actually, that's the same reason the baby demons didn't really freak me out - too insectlike to really look like babies, so they weren't as creepy as they should've been)

There was a quest point-n-click game that my sister was playing. The protagonist was a woman. The only UI element was a trunk (luggage) in the lower right (or left?) corner, probably the inventory.

There was a particular scene in a room where if you spent too much time, the screen would suddenly change to show a big muscular athletic guy filling the whole screen, complete with SUDDEN LOUD SCARE MUSIC, and probably the implication that you lost.

EDIT: the game was also first person, you rarely saw the protagonist. I think the name of the game was the name of the protagonist. The setting was contemporary, no fantasy. Do you have any clue what game is it? I wanna see that figure again.

I think a part of what makes a monster scary in a game isn't restricted to it's appearance, sounds, strength or speed. I think it really has to do with the context in which the scary monster appears.

The last game that actually gave me chills was a mod I downloaded for Wolfenstein called Coming of the Storm. When the mod started off, it was the usual mowing down of various types of nazis as you'd expect. But towards the middle of the episode, you venture into a dungeon that, along with dead prisoners, was also littered with already killed nazis. After a deadly custom boss battle, you exit through a portal, where the next level is a labyrinth made entirely out of piles of skulls. There's blood splatters, dead nazis, skeletons littered all over the floor. You can hear shrieks, screams, and gusts of wind as ambient background noise, and the OPL midi track is eerie and disorienting. The area is inhabited by ghosts that cant be killed (well they fade away temporarily but continue their hunt shortly after) and suck your life away on contact.

It would be kinda silly to post a screenshot as it obviously wouldn't look scary, but it was the preliminary stages before you enter the cathedral where you fight the Angel of Death or whatever, and the transition from Wolfy's vibrant colorful dungeons to the dark imposing lovecraftian atmosphere that followed it was really unexpected.

It makes me wonder how unsettling a mod for a game like Commander Keen would be if it started off as a silly space alien game with toy guns would be if over the sequence of levels, started to gradually change to a twisted nightmare involving increasingly terrifying monsters and crazy maniacal backgrounds, maybe some evil symbols, blood splatters, etc.

They're a bit more obscure, but my vote is for the Genestealers or Chaos Space Marines in this game here. I was playing it last night with my headphones on in a dark room and I got so creeped out, I had to quit. And this is coming from someone who thought Silent Hill and Amnesia were boring games.

40oz said:

It makes me wonder how unsettling a mod for a game like Commander Keen would be if it started off as a silly space alien game with toy guns would be if over the sequence of levels, started to gradually change to a twisted nightmare involving increasingly terrifying monsters and crazy maniacal backgrounds, maybe some evil symbols, blood splatters, etc.

Mod idea: Commander Keen meets Dangerous Dave

Kontra Kommando said:

This thread inspired me to create this sprite sheet.

Someone needs to make a Doom enemy using these sprites.

This fucker gave me a good start the first time I ran into him.

Kontra Kommando said:

This thread inspired me to create this sprite sheet.

Dude, that's pretty good. Also, Canofbacon, someone should go a step further and make Friday the 13th doom mod. you know, just for shits and giggles.

reality 2.0 said:

Dude, that's pretty good. Also, Canofbacon, someone should go a step further and make Friday the 13th doom mod. you know, just for shits and giggles.

I'm in the process of making one right now actually. It will be a quick one, hopefully by tomorrow.

Jason will be the only enemy. I will give him A_Wander, and a Forget timer, so the player could have a chance to run and hide. I'll make the weapons very limited, and non-powerful. It will be a survival horror.

Edit: Since he always comes back from the dead, perhaps it could be more than one level eventually.

EDIT 2:

The doom color pallette makes his suit look neon pink and the blue to a greenish color. I will make the suit darker.

i own so many games, so many horror / scary / action games. None are really scary. The creatures in Dead Space make me laugh when they ragdoll at my feet like a flopping fish, but the game presents a good sense of dread, because you need to shoot the greater creatures or watch them explode into small deadly creatures.

As for scary.... the only thing that scares me are the spiders in Skyrim.

reality 2.0 said:

@Kontra Kommando
will Jason fight you like from the NES game, like from mike tysons punch out?

I could give him A_Fastchase, and he could strafe like he did in the nes game.

Those moving statues in that one occulus rift tech demo

(Granted I didn't actually play it since but the LP alone scared the shit out of me)

Honestly? The Endermen from Minecraft. Visually they aren't a big deal, but their noises and actions are extremely unsettling. Couple the fact that Minecraft you have an incentive to really not die (you lose your shit, or permadeath for hardcore), and it's terrifying.

Not to mention they are provoked by being stared at, to which their reaction is to eviscerate your organs. That in turn affects the entire game; I don't want to look blindly into caves because of accidentally provoking an Enderman.

Clonehunter said:

The Wraiths in Doom 3 gave me a good start. After going through a third of the game or so and seeing introductions for any non-zombie enemy, the sudden appearance of the Wraith and they're incredibly loud screech sorta put me off on the first encounter. Interestingly, they do have a kind of introductory cutscene, but not until after they actually appear (Though that could be a result of playing on harder difficulties).

Half-Life headcrab zombies were also mildly disturbing.

I always hated the black headcrab zombies were scary, but not scary enough. Wraiths were always too dead for me to find them scary.

Canofbacon said:

lol yeah I know about that one. Personally I enjoy the creepiness. Its the only enemy that has that effect on me. I think its because its so non human. All other monsters seem to have 2 arms, 2 legs. They look too human and a guy that could be in a costume just isn't scary. To top it off, they spray things, they skitter. I'm not even afraid of spiders.