Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geekmarine

Doom regrets

When I was a young'un and my dad first brought home a floppy disk containing the Doom shareware, one of the biggest disappointments for me (in retrospect) was that our trusty 486 didn't have a sound card, and thus I was limited to PC speaker sound effects. Don't misunderstand - I think Doom made excellent use of the limited bleeps and bloops available, and those sound effects still bring back memories. However, I almost feel I lost some of the initial impact of the game by not getting to hear its amazing soundtrack the first time I played. I mean, when I finally got a computer with a soundcard, the music and the sound effects blew me away, made it feel like a brand new game - however, by that time, I had already played Doom so much I had every level memorized and was pretty much jaded to anything the game could throw at me. It's just one of those little things - if I had been able to combine that initial awe with the game itself with the atmosphere the music and sound effects created, just... would've been amazing, but you can't really just go back and recreate that.

Anyone else have any Doom-related regrets? Anything you missed out on, or maybe a level set you're disappointed in yourself for never finishing?

i think not getting into PWADs until many, many years ago could count, like around '08 while i first started playing it at around '97, '98. i think that's what made me forget the game for some time; mods really are what's keeping me into the game still.

There's a couple that I can think of; the main one being that I wish I didn't just leave maps unfinished on my HDD but I am too much of a perfectionist, even my own releases I feel were rushed in the detail department, but I have always been like that with everything I do. The second would be that I regret joining the community rather later than I had originally planned (I originally wanted my map set done so I could release it on my registration). I'll never understand why I waited so long though, I should have just joined a lot sooner instead of trying to get something to release.

Not really, I sometimes wonder what it would been like to have been involved in the community as it was in the 90s, could I have been involved in some of those now legendary megawads, but that would have been unlikely because I don't think I had an internet connection for most of that period and in any case might have been too young and immature to make a positive impression.

I had access to full Doom 2 much earlier than I thought. When I first had it, I only got to level 6 and then stopped, probably because I didn't think of pressing SPACE to get to level 7, level 6 looked like a good episode climax, and the text message looked a lot like an episode ending (the presentation, not the text; I couldn't read English). I thought it was just a shareware version :( and afterwards after some hard disk rewrite, we lost Doom 2. All in all the impression it gave me was of an improved and creepy Episode 4 with cyberdemon-sergeants, very cool.

Come many years later when I'm less likely to be impressed by things. During that time, I was able to read the Doom FAQ comprehensively, spoiling ANY excitement out of Doom 2. When I finally get ahold of Doom 2 for real, it feels like a pretty dull experience, not the least because I knew where all the secrets are, and what all the new monsters are.

Things would have been vastly different for me if I had fully played Doom 2 the first time. Now I'm just an Ultimate Doom fanboy, playing Doom 2 just because it's the more popular version with more PWADs.

That I didn't get into mapping when it was first possible on the PC. I didn't play Doom until it was ported to the Amiga and at that time there was no way to map on that platform. I finally first tried mapping a few years ago but for some reason I could never get past making a couple of squarish rooms. Perhaps I'm just too old and therefore unfocussed on such things. When I was younger I was much more focussed and creative... Who knows where that would've taken me!

My main regret is that I spent so many years struggling with an incredibly slow, limited and bug-ridden port of the map editor 'DETH' before discovering Doom Builder on much faster hardware and realising that I could now do in a day what used to take me a week.

I also regret not finding out until recently that "slime trails" are an accepted rendering error, having spent time porting one nodes builder to my platform and experimenting with various others.

I suspect that people who review my maps on the /idgames database and have never used an old map editor could not possibly imagine how much toil went into them. I'm surprised I didn't go completely crazy.

My Main regret that I didn't get to mapping Sooner,or contributing to a Community Project very soon,also I got the Doom Builder way too late,I should have brought the Doom Builder around 2008,2009

The fact that I've spent so much of my life playing this game!

(just kidding, Doom is the best.)

Oh God, that reminds me, my first mapping experience was with DoomCAD, of all things. Hoo boy, that was a stinker. Someone oughta take that thing out back and shoot it to put it out of its misery. Ironically, I was actually distraught when I found out it didn't work on more modern operating systems (and by more modern, I mean anything above Windows 3.1). That was actually a godsend, though, because it got me to try different editors for a change (WadAuthor, and eventually Doom Builder).

Never playing a slaughter map until now.

Surprising amounts of fun can be had on them, I just never played them out of fear of being absolutely destroyed.

reality 2.0 said:

My one regret is that I didn't get into doom sooner.

That's the way I feel. I could have gotten into it in 2000 but I didn't until 2006.

I regret I'm still playing Doom.

It's an awesome game, but twenty years later, you'd think we'd have had a worthy successor by now.

Phml said:

It's an awesome game, but twenty years later, you'd think we'd have had a worthy successor by now.

It's just unbeatable, man.

Timeless classic.

geekmarine said:

Ironically, I was actually distraught when I found out it didn't work on more modern operating systems (and by more modern, I mean anything above Windows 3.1). That was actually a godsend, though, because it got me to try different editors for a change (WadAuthor, and eventually Doom Builder).

Yeah, I had exactly the same experience. It's hard to let go of a large investment of time in learning one tool, in order to learn another. I can hardly use DETH any more.

Phml said:

I regret I'm still playing Doom.

I know I suck at English but can you regret about something that doesn't depend on you?

Not that it was what I meant originally, but why wouldn't it depend on me? I can hold myself responsible for failing to adjust my tastes and be more like everyone else, enjoying Call of Duty or Bioshock. I could point at my lack of willpower and determination preventing me from either making my own dream FPS or at least having a part in promoting the kind of FPS I like.

Edit: come to think about it, it is what I meant. What bums me out about this isn't other people liking different things, nor it is the industry going another way. Rather, it has to do with the illustration of my personal failings, a willingness to settle for something I'm not entirely happy with rather than put in the effort to make it better somehow. Obviously not a life crisis scenario when we're talking about a video game, but there you have it.

I always wish I was about 16 years older, so I could've discovered Doom when I was already an adult and made the kind of stuff I do now back when it could have gotten me a job or really impressed the world.

Start mapping, had much fun with it, but never completed one yet...

xAn said:

Start mapping, had much fun with it, but never completed one yet...

Dude, you and me both. Been two years and I have like six amazing maps that are all like 99% finished.

GoatLord said:

Dude, you and me both. Been two years and I have like six amazing maps that are all like 99% finished.

The same with me, Haven't found the urge to continue in my gladiator WAD.

I regret ever having played this terribad, ugly graphics gay game for noobs. Community of dicks and bad mappers like esseltarnsnazi and pavera. Doom the way id did more like dook the way id did (cause it's shit).