Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Six-Shoota

Legacy PSP gameplay fixes

You didn't post the changelog, so:

PSP Legacy (Release 4.01) by Six-Shoota
-------------------------------------------------

Change log:

- TNT Map30 stair bug fixed. The stairs now rise same as in the original.
- TNT Map31 yellow key wad error detected and dynamically fixed. Now the player can finish the game, even on the original buggy TNT.
- In Doom2 Map05, two doors to secret rooms would not work. If another door (1st of 4 doors on left) is opened first, then an extraneous tag 9 will move the floors of these two rooms like doors. Restored some tests that stopped the floors movement like the original, and the flawed Map05 is then playable.

Known bugs:

- Standby will most likely crash the game (not related to my changes).
- Some levels have rendering errors (holes in floors and walls), but these are also found in the PC version of DOOM Legacy and has nothing to do with this port.

Anyway, why were those bugs there in the first place? Inherited from Doom Legacy?

Yes, they were left from the PC version. And the fixes are from the PC version 1.45. Thats why all the thanks goes to wesleyjohnson :)

Hi everybody!

Planning to bring out my own update for PSP Legacy

Don't expect it immediately, I'll be working on it in my spare time; but it's a priority for me personally because Doom is so damn awesome and even more awesome is playing it on the PSP (AKA the King of all gadgets).

Planned list of changes, PSP Legacy Release 5.0

- Add cyclic item bar scrolling for Heretic, so that the inventory can be scrolled with only one button (frees up another key which is essential for the full FPS layout for Heretic on the PSP)
- Seperate PWAD directories for Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Plutonia, TNT & Heretic; only the corresponding PWADs would appear for the IWAD chosen.
- Color-coding of PWADs according to whether they are single-levels, Minisodes (2-7 levels), Episodes (8-13 levels), MegaWAD-Lites (14-23 levels), or MegaWADs (+24 levels). Internally, this would be represented as a folder structure; i.e. there is a folder for Episodes, a folder for Minisodes, etc... chucking a given PWAD into one of these folders will assign it the corresponding color-code in the PWAD browser.
- Add support for 'PWAD folders'. The idea is that PWAD and DEH files can be grouped together into a single folder. Such a folder would show up in the PWAD browser, under its own folder name rather than the name of the WAD(s) within. Upon selection, the PWADs within would be loaded up in alphabetical order, along with any DEH files that might be present (also in alphabetical order). Optionally, it would also be possible to control the load-order explicitly, by creating a file called loadorder.txt within the PWAD folder, and listing each PWAD and/or DEH file sequentially in the desired order.
- Seperate save directories not only for each given IWAD, but also for each different PWAD/PWAD folder. Now you'll be able to play several Doom II PWADs concurrently for example, without having to worry about juggling & mixing-up saves between them (not 100% sure on this feature though).

Planned list of changes, PSP Legacy Release 5.1
- Bring the code base more up to the latest revision of PC Legacy 1.45. As of the current PSP Legacy Release 4.01, the code already partially includes fixes from the 1.44 and/or 1.45 releases, from my understanding. I haven't examined it yet, so I cannot say at this stage what else I might wish to update, however the aim would be to bring up the PSP Legacy release to 1.45 as much as possible/feasible, and within the limitations of the PSP's hardware.
- Possibly some general optimization/speed improvements (don't count on it though).

Planned list of changes, PSP Legacy Release 5.2
- Redesign of PWAD selection screen to allow the read-me's in PWAD folders to be displayed; or via switching to the text-display by button. By default, the alphabetical first text file (loadorder.txt files excluded) will be loaded up, but it's possible to specify a specific default one via the loadorder.txt file, as well as secondary ones that can be switched to via buttons.
- Some sort of redesign that would allow 'mod' PWADs (that's to say PWADs without their own level-set that are just meant to modify the game by changing graphics/gameplay/music/etc...) to be selected seperately from the PWADs/PWAD folders (only one of which can be selected); whereupon the PWAD/PWAD folder selected would load, followed by any selected mod PWADs.

NOTE: The only thing I can really promise you guys is that I will get Release 5.0 done.
Release 5.1 depends on whether I find enough new things in the latest code and possible optimization ideas for the update to be worth my time.
Release 5.2 depends on whether I could be bothered at all and also what the sort of interest in my work would be and whether anyone would appreciate it (I'm doing 5.0 for myself, 5.1 maybe purely out of programming interest - but 5.2 I personally don't need).
It's possible that I might skip 5.1 (in which case I'll call 5.2 - 5.1), possible that I might stop at 5.1 and not do 5.2, and possible that I might just get 5.0 done and then move on (I got PSP Duke Nukem 3D, PSP Rise of the Triads, possibly PSP Quake updates I'm dreaming of getting done too).
But Doom is definitely the most awesome game out of all of those (Quake gives it a good run for its money though), so I'll put the most effort into Doom out of all.

Oh and one more thing. I'm planning to make a big compilation of all the good/classic PWADs that are compatible with PSP Legacy. I'll run them all through glBSP to remove the rendering errors, check them and make sure they run acceptably on PSP Legacy, package them into my PWAD folder format for your convenience, and release them all as one big archive.
Anyone have any objections? I do not want to ask every single author for permission; there are way too many of them and most of the email addresses I have in these readme files are long extinct I'm sure; thus all I'll accomplish is having a whole bunch of emails unanswered and then I'll just have to assume that they don't mind anyway.
But certainly, if any of you folks are in contact with an author and want to let them know of my nefarious plans feel free - I'll certainly exclude any WAD that is specifically objected to by its author. I'll publish the list of WADs I intend to include a good amount of time in advance before I release the archive.
Peace.

I think the current savegame directories would go far towards your needs for a savegame directory for each type of game. That is what I do. Just create a new savegame directory when playing some PWAD.
You could automate it with some kind of PWAD name hashing. It could get messy.

Updates to DoomLegacy 1.45.2 were just committed to svn. Extensive changes to the network code, more menus for network play, and a few bug fixes. See logs/WDJlog.

I recently got a PSP-3000 and have been playing release 4 ad-hoc. It's a great experience.

A couple notes though:

Will release 5 have screen size adjustment? right now the status bar is absent.

An option to make the analog stick directions bindable would be really nice. I use left and right as L2/R2 in PSX Doom on PSP for changing weapons.

Speaking of PSX Doom.. in that and Doom 64 if you pressed the weapon change key multiple times quickly it will skip over weapons if you don't want to switch through all of them, this would greatly improve the experience.

I'll do as much thorough testing as I can once release 5 is out.

First than all guys plz excuse me for reviving an old thread. I think this "message is important enough to warrant bumping the thread". But I'm a HUGE fan of PSP Legacy and I want to say some things:

1-.I've noticed that Doom games freeze some times when the reproduction of a MP3 ends.
I discovered what gives that MP3 error. The tracks we want to use MUST be 44100Hz 192kbps stereo, with that, the freezes are vanished :D.
May yoy add that info in the music.txt file for 5.0. I noticed this to Markus Buretop who released the version 4 and said he would include that warning if he ever releases a "5" version. Now it's time :D

2.-The Pwads folders as you say. It's a shame PSP Legacy only supports until 16 of them. As you you say, it's a cool idea putting separated folders for each game, but plz be sure to add support for all the Pwads as possible, not only 16 for not having to go to the computer to move/rename files/folders each time we wanna play some specifical Pwad.

3.-Any chance on this upcoming "new version" where the 64MB of the PSP SLIM can be used at its top? Because many custom wads look so laggy when there's many enemies (not talking about the NUTZ "saga", just some levels that run smoothy on old computers also) or many objects in some scenaries, making them unplayable. Or just some big levels simply make so laggy the game. I compared this issue in both FAT and SLIM PSPs and this happens with no difference (I'm assuming Legacy 4 is using only 32MB of ram). I think we must forget about PSP-1000 for this update, for getting better perfomance with the 64MB ram of PSP 2000 to forward.

4.-The analog stick of the PSP should be configurable too... you know, games designed FOR PSP work right with the analog pad, but PSP doesn't work very well, and we aren't allowed to configure the analog pad as we wish, for example: Map, Jump, etc. Plz fix it.

And...

flamming_python said:

Oh and one more thing. I'm planning to make a big compilation of all the good/classic PWADs that are compatible with PSP Legacy. I'll run them all through glBSP to remove the rendering errors, check them and make sure they run acceptably on PSP Legacy, package them into my PWAD folder format for your convenience, and release them all as one big archive.
Anyone have any objections? I do not want to ask every single author for permission; there are way too many of them and most of the email addresses I have in these readme files are long extinct I'm sure; thus all I'll accomplish is having a whole bunch of emails unanswered and then I'll just have to assume that they don't mind anyway.
But certainly, if any of you folks are in contact with an author and want to let them know of my nefarious plans feel free - I'll certainly exclude any WAD that is specifically objected to by its author. I'll publish the list of WADs I intend to include a good amount of time in advance before I release the archive.
Peace.

Dude, I have about 40 megawads full compatible with PSP Legacy. But some have replaced levels who freezed the game putting single working levels... so there a TON of authors "involved"... since those compilations are in spirit special for the PSP Legacy, I guess the community can be OK about that. I would send them to you, pal, and you see how you distribute them for the PSP version.

Six-Shoota said:

Mae77, what you expect? Gzdoomish architecture maps with tons of enemies on the PSP - no way.

Well, if someone got it running on the Vita, that might be able to do it but definitely not the PSP. The 32MB (Or 64MB if you have later models) of RAM, alone, would prevent it.

Well I don't know if flamming_python will make a "PSP LEGACY 5" finally (because of the time since this thread was made) but I think it's not a waste of time re-check some points in case if someone else will do it someday:

Six-Shoota said:

Mae77, what you expect? Gzdoomish architecture maps with tons of enemies on the PSP - no way.

I'm not talking necessary for levels like "Nutz" but sometimes just a PWAD with more than 10MB generally give lag in some parts of some levels. Well that's not really important just like these 2 points I think are REALLY needed to fix:

ReFracture said:

An option to make the analog stick directions bindable would be really nice. I use left and right as L2/R2 in PSX Doom on PSP for changing weapons.

Mae77 said:

2.-The Pwads folders as you say. It's a shame PSP Legacy only supports until 16 of them. As you you say, it's a cool idea putting separated folders for each game, but plz be sure to add support for all the Pwads as possible, not only 16 for not having to go to the computer to move/rename files/folders each time we wanna play some specifical Pwad.

Didn't knew there was a Doom source port for the PSP. Then again, Doom is everywhere so I shouldn't be surprised. I'll give this a try later.

That's cool. Does this work on the psp emulator? Otherwise how are you goong to test? :D

So, i suppouse, the works are all stopped? Shame, because psp legacy needs many fixes such as standby that doesent glitch the game or normal hud. Saving all the settings from menu would also be good. Midi support or earsing that stupid endgame would also be nice.

If one of them is a PSP Phat, there's always the option of a recovery battery. My firmware was up so high that I had to resort to that but I don't think Sony had any way of actually countering it and they probably didn't care anyway since the PSP is old news to them nowadays.