Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Scientist

Delaweare Release!

Greetings,

I've created a short game using the Zdoom engine named "Delaweare". It's not just aimed at Doomers but also at people how don't play video games that often. As a result the difficulty setting "Medium" will be a total pushover for us Doomers. "Hard" on the other hand will be quite challenging :). The game is not focused on action but on visual and audio experiences. You can find more info and download the stand alone game here:
Delaweare

Let me know what you guys think,
scientist (aka space is green)

Just tried it, very cool. I like those scrolling textures, they provide a really cool effect (it reminded me of your map Dada in Monochrome Mapping Project). And the music is great. Very good job.

Wow, looks really good from those screenshots. Hopefully my tired old computer can run it.

Should be named 'Quake tron'
And there are HOMs on the deep green stuff border, very creative usage of keys, weapons and music.

Those numerous sphere enemies have too much HP for the player's basic weapon, don't you think? Alright, I've only dived a bit into the game. Everything looks unnecessarily oversized, but the effects on all the abstract surfaces are kind of cool, while strange, and all the previously mentioned characteristics are making a distinct atmosphere. Promising, at first glance. I mean, I'll gladly explore in further, later.

Interesting. Very interesting. The visuals are quite cool, though a bit too headache inducing for my poor brain, but I really appreciate the style. Reminds me of Rez.

I couldn't get through the first map, fighting the balls was too much of a chore, the purple ones completely mince you and take loads of ammo to kill, and I couldnt seem to find any replacement ammo. Couldn't find one of the keys either, so gave up.

ducon said:

Will there be a version for Unix/Linux?

Download the Windows package and use delaweare.wad from ./Data as an IWAD in ZDoom. That's it.

Is there any point to these fancy Windows/Mac downloads other than for non-gamers who don't know Doom source ports anyway? The Data folder contains unmodified stable zdoom.exe and the only worthwhile thing Delaweare.exe seems to do is call zdoom -iwad delaweare.wad . Would be more comfortable for Doomers to just put a link to the delaweare.wad and say "run it as IWAD with ZDoom". This way we don't have to bother with changing binds, .ini files or whatever.

Scientist said:

@ mouldy: try the medium difficulty.

Ok, I had another go. It seems that the only ammo I get is from picking up the weapons, thats not really enough to deal with all the enemies on hard difficulty. What are those pick-ups that are white and blue lines? They look like they should be ammo but don't seem to give me anything, and can't even be picked up after a while.

I didn't realise this was just one map, thats a shame. Since the shooting is a little slow and clunky and the ammo is limited it encourages you to not bother fighting the balls and just run for the 4 weapons, which makes for a very short game on medium and an impossible one on hard (unless I'm missing some subtleties in using the various weapons, or the ammo pick-ups are broken).

A very fascinating "audio visual experience", great work guys! Track 2 was my favorite.
The ammo pickups worked fine for me. (ZDoom 2.7.1.0)

It seems that the only ammo I get is from picking up the weapons, thats not really enough to deal with all the enemies on hard difficulty. What are those pick-ups that are white and blue lines? They look like they should be ammo but don't seem to give me anything, and can't even be picked up after a while.

The cyan colored crystal are indeed ammo! Odd to hear they are not working for you. Did you use the exe file I provided?

If you use the command line: "zdoom -file delaweare.wad" You will not be able to gain ammo by picking up the crystals (just like you said).
If you use the command line: "zdoom -iwad delaweare.wad" the ammo items should work just fine.

Right, I was just using the wad file with zdoom so I guess thats why it messed up.

Keyboard_Doomer said:

Is there any point to these fancy Windows/Mac downloads other than for non-gamers who don't know Doom source ports anyway? The Data folder contains unmodified stable zdoom.exe and the only worthwhile thing Delaweare.exe seems to do is call zdoom -iwad delaweare.wad . Would be more comfortable for Doomers to just put a link to the delaweare.wad and say "run it as IWAD with ZDoom". This way we don't have to bother with changing binds, .ini files or whatever.

Yeah, it's done for the non-gamers. Doomers can still choose not to use the exe :).