Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Ultimate Doom in Name Only - voting for new leadership (see page 20)

ULTIMATE DOOM IN NAME ONLY
Return of the DINOsaurs

Introduction
Almost a year has passed since the alpha version of D2INO was released. Shortly after the alpha release, I received a PM from Jayextee, saying he wanted to lead the prequel.
Shortly after, I received another message from Jay, which was a draft of what would be the opening post to the UDINO thread.
Recently, Jay has become very busy with his game-creating, so the result is, you're stuck with me again. Hooray.

Guidelines
Same drill as before. Make vanilla compatible maps that represent the original title of the original level. For example, Mt. Erebus could be set on the side of a mountain, Unholy Cathedral needs to be set in a cathedral, you get the idea.
We'll be going with stock textures again, with the exception of these liquidfalls compiled by plums.

Maps exceeding limits has already been an issue so far, so all mappers, please test your levels with chocorenderlimits. Using visplane explorer simply isn't good enough.

Jay's draft post contained a lot of guidelines for each of the four episodes. So here goes

Episode 1
Set on Phobos, Episode 1 will - like the original - be made up of techbases. You don't have to stick to E1 textures, but the general theme throughout the episode should be consistent, so please do not use blood, skin and other hellish stuff. Use of brick (NOT MARBLE BRICK) is acceptable, since it's reasonable that the moon's own materials could be used in the foundations of the base.

If your map is before one of these listed, you may put one of the following areas in a secret area, but please be reasonable. A rocket launcher in E1M1 would not be okay, to give an example.

Shotgun: E1M2
Chaingun: E1M3
Rocket Launcher: E1M5
Chainsaw can go anywhere, but don't go crazy.

Plasma rifles, BFG9000s, Berserks, Godspheres, Cacos, Lost Souls, Cybs, masterminds and skull keys are not permitted in E1. Also, the baron of hell must be introduced on E1M8.

Episode 2
Deimos over hell.
Deimos's bases should look older than the ones on Phobos. Personally, I'd recommend a fair bit of use of the brick textures here. Hell is slowly creeping through the Deimos complex, so you may begin to use hellish stuff here, but don't overdo it please.
Jay didn't ask for this, but I felt it was worth noting: The deimos base would most likely have lost all power once it ended up in hell, so I'd say these maps should be fairly dark, with some emergency lights still going.

Weapon introductions are same rules as above regarding secrets
Shotgun: 2-1
Chaingun: 2-3
RL: 2-2
Plasma: 2-4

Please do not use masterminds in this map, and no cyberdemons before 2-8. Still no BFG in this episode.

Episode 3
Since people have different visions of hell, stylistically, you're pretty much free to do as you like here. Only restriction is that tech areas should be kept to a minimum, and they should look like they fell from Deimos, (i.e, mounted on a huge rock that really doesn't fit in with its surroundings), and none of the tech stuff should be working.

Shotgun: 3-1
Chaingun: 3-2
RL: 3-3
Plasma: 3-3

BFG should be introduced late in the episode. Same goes for the cyberdemon.

Since there's no working tech stuff, we will not be having computer maps or light amp visors and also no keycards, and Masterminds not in 3-8.

Episode 4
Jay seemed to want everyone to go as abstract as possible with this one.

I won't comment. Anyway, this episode should have some very difficult levels. Your only restriction is that there must be no masterminds outside of 4-8.

I agree that Episode 4 is a very difficult set of titles to interpret. If you need some help with them, maybe try consulting this list of the bible phrases they're taken from.

That is all for the guideline sections.

Map listings
The initial limit will be 3 maps per author. I claimed 2-1 while writing this post :D

• E1M1: Hangar - ProcessingControl - V1.0 (13 July)
  • E1M2: Nuclear Plant - joe-ilya - V2.2 (14 Aug)
  • E1M3: Toxin Refinery - stewboy - V1.1 (22 July)
  • E1M4: Command Control - stewboy - V1.0 (8 Aug)
  • E1M5: Phobos Lab - sincity2100 - V1.1 (16 Aug)
  • E1M6: Central Processing - Antroid
  • E1M7: Computer Station - Pavera
  • E1M8: Phobos Anomaly - Clonehunter
  • E1M9: Military Base - Jaws in Space

• E2M1: Deimos Anomaly - Pedro VC - V1.1 (30 August)
  • E2M2: Containment Area - Xaser
  • E2M3: Refinery - Ledillman
  • E2M4: Deimos Lab - scifista42
  • E2M5: Command Centre - Pedro VC
  • E2M6: Halls of the Damned - Pedro VC
  • E2M7: Spawning Vats - Obsidian
  • E2M8: Tower of Babel - Antroid
  • E2M9: Fortress of Mystery - Dreadopp - V1.1 (8 Aug)

• E3M1: Hell Keep - jmickle
  • E3M2: Slough of Despair - Ledillman
  • E3M3: Pandemonium - cannonball - V2.0 (Dec 5)
  • E3M4: House of Pain - Walter Confalonieri
  • E3M5: Unholy Cathedral - CorSair - V1.0 (17 Aug)
  • E3M6: Mt. Erebus - joe-ilya - V2.1 (7 July)
  • E3M7: Limbo
  • E3M8: Dis - Antroid
  • E3M9: Warrens - dobu gabu maru - V1.1 (14 Aug)

• E4M1: Hell Beneath - _bruce_ - V1.0 (8 July)
  • E4M2: Perfect Hatred - SteveD - V1.1 (17 Aug)
  • E4M3: Sever the Wicked - sincity - V2.0 (23 July)
  • E4M4: Unruly Evil - tourniquet
  • E4M5: They Will Repent - joe-ilya - V1.1 (14 Aug)
  • E4M6: Against Thee Wickedly - SteveD
  • E4M7: And Hell Followed - Getsu Fune
  • E4M8: Unto the Cruel - Cell
  • E4M9: Fear - TimeOfDeath
That is all. Let's rock.

Looking forward to what you guys come up with here. Going with stock textures only, again?

Yeah I forgot to mention that. Though we'll probably want lavafalls again, and maybe mudwater, just for convenience's sake.

Cool this is now officially underway.
Fine with the rules though I really feel that the BFG needs a proper outing in episode 3, rather than just a cameo role in the secret map. The one thing I remember from the original IWad is that each episode had it's specific top tier weapen (E1 - Rocket launcher, E2 - plasma gun, E3 - BFG).

Well my own reason for agreeing with that was that I was worried about the mastermind in 3-8, seeing as a BFG can one hit them quite easily at point blank range.
I'd still rather it came in quite late in the episode though. 3-5 or 3-6 maybe.

Want to clear the situation on my two current slots Dis.

Edit: this changed since I first posted it.

For Dis, I'm gonna make a whole level around that name, but probably without a boss battle - I'm not sure I can make a fun and challenging mastermind setup. But I will have the level up to the boss. If anyone should want to collab on it and make the boss and insert it into the level, that would be great. Of course I will try it myself as well but the more probable outcome is that I'll need someone else to volunteer to create a final boss arena. We'll work to insert it into the level seamlessly after that.

For Tower of Babel, nothing! I'm totally making it without doubt!

Eris, check your PMs.

Also, I say yes to water/lava falls, but perhaps not nukage/blood falls, for D1-authenticity sake (?), as well as mud should not be present. But well, they'd be included too.

interesting... can i join? I wanted to do something for the Doom 2 in name only thing but when i get back to my pc all slots are was taken, so... i want to try something for this...

About the textures, can I perhaps ask for a pure-black sidedef texture and floor being permitted? I imagine they could end up being useful and I don't think they will break any sort of authenticity more than just our new levels do. Really, it's mostly for the sake of conserving linedefs by using them instead of sectors with 0 brightness around things and stuff like that. Coulda really used them back in map29 of D2INO... Or does anyone think it shouldn't be allowed?

Don't want to seem like I'm hogging the mapslots, but I'd like to claim E1M5 and E2M4. I have an idea for a concept linking both maps together.

Antroid said:

Or does anyone think it shouldn't be allowed?

I'm afraid that they'd be tempting to use in many more normal situations including places with higher light levels, and the result would turn out to have unnatural side effects (bullet puffs on black walls, weapon-shot-lighting not taking effect...), I think the zero light level should be sufficient.

But I don't claim this as an absolute truth, just my opinion regarding how I feel about having a pitch black texture free to use.

scifista42 said:

I think the zero light level should be sufficient.

Too bad you can't make a black sky with it, oh well I guess I could always have REALLY tall sectors with black walls just like in map29

walter confalonieri said:

interesting... can i join? I wanted to do something for the Doom 2 in name only thing but when i get back to my pc all slots are was taken, so... i want to try something for this...

Sure but because of the nature of this project, you'd need to pick a specific mapslot.

PC, I marked you down for those slots

scifista, I actually had no idea slime and blood weren't in Doom 1, though now I think about it, I should've known.
Personally I'd be fine with having both of those in, but I think I've shown that I do like lots of liquids. What I have in mind for 3-7 includes both bloodfalls and waterfalls.

Full black has its uses definitely. I'm not opposed to including those either.
I don't consider them custom textures. More of a convenience.

Kind of feel like a mapset based on reinterpreting names shouldn't have guidelines so rigidly attached to realism. Also kind of concerned about holding onto episode themes in that light considering how literal and specific some of the names in E1-3 are.

Marcaek said:

Kind of feel like a mapset based on reinterpreting names shouldn't have guidelines so rigidly attached to realism.

Actually I also think that those guidelines are a bit too strict. All of this "Phobos bases should look temporary, Deimos should mainly lack power, no tech in hell works" stuff is a bit BS IMO. I'm pretty sure Phobos doesn't have fog on it so why would we take into consideration the state of it's orbit if we're leaving the default sky? I'd say even allowing E2-E3 monsters in E1 should be alright. Maybe not hell elements in E1, but the more miniscule details really should be left to the discretion of any individual author in my opinion. Many of those are completely pointless restrictions following which really won't benefit the mapset.

jmickle66666666 said:

i want e1m8

Done.

Marcaek said:

Kind of feel like a mapset based on reinterpreting names shouldn't have guidelines so rigidly attached to realism. Also kind of concerned about holding onto episode themes in that light considering how literal and specific some of the names in E1-3 are.

I see where you're coming from, but I'm not sure it's an issue. Nearly all level titles in E1 and E2 describe man-made structures, so holding a theme isn't so difficult. The only exceptions are Fortress of Mystery and Tower of Babel, and I don't expect the mappers for those slots to make techbases anyway, as there's no reason for them to be so.

Ultimate Doom is more forgiving in this regard, because with Doom II you had stuff like Downtown -> The Inmost Dens -> Industrial Zone -> Suburbs, which are all very different locations, and it's harder to maintain an underlying theme.

Sorry if this all looks a bit unclear, I know what I mean but it doesn't go into words well.

EDIT: Ah, well the temporary base thing isn't quite what I was thinking of when I wrote the above.
That's one that could probably be let go, since the decaying orbit shouldn't destroy phobos for another 50 million years, and I doubt any building would last that long anyway. I'll admit, I was a bit sceptical of that one when I read over Jay's PM.
I would like to see Deimos buildings having an older feel to them than Phobos though.

Eris Falling said:

I would like to see Deimos buildings having an older feel to them than Phobos though.

That sounds cool (reminds me of one of my favorite parts of Doom 3 - the almost archaic looking machinery and bases in the Caverns near the end), but I'm not sure it's very possible to do in such a collab project. Everyone who'll even bother will probably interpret this differently, not to mention that some of the people making ep1 levels might also accidentally make them look old, lessening the contrast. Although you could ask people to go and modify their maps to better fit this idea after many (most of e1 and e2?) get done...

Although, I'm not even certain it can be carried across all that well with the limited tools and resources we have.

Edit: funnily enough, my idea for the tower of babel includes it being sort of a techbase. I'll see if I can actually hurry up with it.

While I do think some of the guidelines are a bit strict, the one I take issue with the most is not being allowed to use marble textures in episode 1. The original levels seemed to be using them as an ad-hoc camo texture.

That being said, I'd love to give E2M9 a spin. I think there's a lot that could be done with that. Not sure if I'll have the time for any others though.

You should definitely include slime/blood/lavafalls... it's just such a pain trying to use those liquids without them, IMO. I'd leave the mud out, though.

Also, I agree with BlueFeena that the marble flats should at least be useable. There's spots in E1 where they get used as a flat as a ceiling for STARG rooms (E1M1, E1M3), BROWNGRN rooms (E1M4, E1M5) or as the "floor" for a SLADWALL wall (E1M4). No marble wall textures, though.

I should've clarified, I meant the marble bricks, rather than the flats.
Marked Pavera and BlueFeena down for their slots.

Eris Falling said:

Sure but because of the nature of this project, you'd need to pick a specific mapslot.

Ok... i think i'll give a shot to e3m4... i just had in mind some stuff

I might as well claim E1M9 too and just stop at 2 map slots. Also E3M3 is most certainly WIP now.

No goofy secret maps to take this time (just the conventional ones :P ), so I suppose I'll accidentally sneak in for E2M2. "Containment" ain't got to just refer to crates...

What the heck, sign me up for E1M6, please. I'm sure I can get it done within a year. :p