Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Ultimate Doom in Name Only - voting for new leadership (see page 20)

Antroid said:

Maybe he means one of the mountains in the sky texture. And that anthill directly in front of the camera is just a random decorative feature.

Mound Erebus? :P

EDIT:

Eris, can give a bit of explanation to what you mean by "EASY", "MID", "HARD", etc.? The difficulty of something can be very subjective: when I was first starting out as a Doom player I'd put something like the original E4M6 as "OH SHIT!", but now it'd be a "MID". Try comparing them to the difficulties of some well known wads.

So it won't be a sandbox, just a simple map I'm not sure someone has already done in the 90's. Yeah, it's a simple map, if that doesn't work for a map I'll choose 'and hell followed'.

Processingcontrol said:

Eris, can give a bit of explanation to what you mean by "EASY", "MID", "HARD", etc.? The difficulty of something can be very subjective: when I was first starting out as a Doom player I'd put something like the original E4M6 as "OH SHIT!", but now it'd be a "MID". Try comparing them to the difficulties of some well known wads.

Yeah that can be an issue.
I completely suck at Doom, so to me, every WAD is hard. I can't really determine difficulty that well, so I'd say E1 should be roughly equivalent to the original E2.
E2 I'd say should have similar difficulty as maps like E4M3.
E3 maybe like Plutonia difficulty and E4, not Slaughterfest difficult, but...difficult.
This isn't much to go on, I know, but I can't really think of many examples of each difficulty, considering that every time I play a PWAD, I either play on ITYTD and get bored quickly, or play on UV and die after about 2 minutes.

Joe: Not sure what that marble thing is supposed to be, but that's more like it. 4-7 is taken, by the way.

I could try making e4m4 but will you accept just some generic E4-like map without anything special? Because basically any Doom map with monsters would fit the title in my eyes.

Unruly
adjective
Difficult or impossible to discipline, control, or rule

It's certainly one of the easier E4 slots. I'd make it an exceptionally difficult map based on the above definition, with some cliche inverted crosses and pentagrams, but, it's your interpretation. So I'll mark you down?

EDIT: Bluefeena, wherever you want them to IMO

Eh, nevermind then, I just thought I could make some E4 inspired map but I'm not interested in all that artistic crap so I guess I shouldn't participate in this.

What are you going to do about the E4 music I wonder, have a separate music wad to use while playing that episode?

Eris Falling said:

Joe: Not sure what that marble thing is supposed to be, but that's more like it..

That marble thing was supposed to be the starting building, I reget it and just put the player on the lower floor.

Joe: liking it because i know the map is just starting and it will look more like a Mount in some time.

BTW: I really think that slime/gren falls should be included

Ok, I'm going to get those together later.
Slime, blood, lava.
Unless there's a great rebellion, I won't be including the full black flat/textures, mostly because if I do, I'm going to want white versions for 3-7, and then I think we're really pushing it with the convenience texture thing.

Eris Falling said:

Ok, I'm going to get those together later.
Slime, blood, lava.

What about a water one?

Well I could use water in 3-7 definitely, but I didn't know if anyone else needed it. I can certainly include it.

Same goes for full white/black textures

Guest Unregistered account

HOW do I keep missing these? Every time, by the time I see these projects, I've missed the date and all the mapslots are full. :(

*Whimper*

Joe667 said:

HOW do I keep missing these?

Personally I'm fully expecting someone to back out or maybe someone will fail to make a map worthy of inclusion, if you hang around for a while some slots might open again. Then again, maybe not.

cannonball said:

I guess some might think the start is rather bullshit though.

Oh yes.
That aside, nice map, though I can't actually complete it.

I tried to do a demo..but nope.

Also, 1-2 exists

Not entirely happy with the towers though. I was trying to do this

EDIT: Fortunately, 1-2 should always be a small level, so it should only take me about 6 months to make this map.

Joe667 said:

HOW do I keep missing these? Every time, by the time I see these projects, I've missed the date and all the mapslots are full. :(

I'm having second thoughts about committing to more than one project at a time, since I move so slowly, so if you want you can have E1M6.

There are also E4 maps still open.

Eris Falling said:

Fortunately, 1-2 should always be a small level, so it should only take me about 6 months to make this map.

Lol.

On a side note, does that map even run in vanilla? That's a pretty impressive outdoor scene you have going there.

Joe667 said:

*Whimper*

If this project is anything like the last one then I wouldn't let that put you off. People take slots and never get round to finishing their map, or end up making something that isn't up to scratch. I think there was a policy in the previous project where if you thought you had a better idea for a slot then you were welcome to submit it.

BlueFeena said:

Lol.

On a side note, does that map even run in vanilla? That's a pretty impressive outdoor scene you have going there.

Thanks, and surprisingly, it's quite well within limits. I expected a massive drawseg overflow, but I couldn't actually get more than 160, so there's still a fair bit of room for more stuff. Or tidying up the cooling towers.

Memfis said:

Lol for some of the E4 maps you can do practically anything I guess.

To my mind there is plenty of scope in those E4 titles to come up with appropriate maps, if you think about the meaning of the words and apply them to fighting scenarios.

I think people should only pick a map if they have a concept that really fits the title, in d2ino there were a few maps that maybe didn't work so well in that regard, and since that is the whole point of the exercise its a pretty important one I guess.

Some brainstorming on E4 maps:

E4M1: Hell Beneath: Descend lower and lower underground into a hellish area

E4M2: Perfect Hatred: Just a flat-out difficult and fiendish map, full of stuff people hate like damaging floors

E4M3: Sever the Wicked: I imagine something where the level keeps closing off earlier sections (or perhaps stemming the tide of enemies entering) with locked doors, floors falling into lava, etc.

E4M4: Unruly Evil: Hmm, toughy. I imagine lots of monsters running around where you can't get them, maybe seeing them or just even hearing them through the walls.

E4M5: They Will Repent: Nothing gameplay-wise, but maybe a church or something religiousy

E4M6: Against Thee Wickedly: Same thing, got nothing. But name strikes me as good for a straight-forward assault map

E4M7: And Hell Followed: Something where the player is chased by enemies, such as "The Demon Rush" (MAP08 in Mayhem 2013)

E4M8: Unto the Cruel: Killing lots of big monsters, perhaps? It is a boss map.

Some of the mapnames could also apply to a map with lots of monster infighting, perhaps. I dunno, just some stuff I came up with off the cuff, I'm sure more creative folks will have better ideas.

I'm guessing that how this is gonna be a vanilla compatible maps i would need to use the Visplane Explorer plugin for Doom builder, but it doesn't seem to work! i tried it and Doom builder 2 crashes (I'm not using a SVN, but i downloaded a SVN some minutes ago and i got the same problem), *sigh*.