Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Ultimate Doom in Name Only - voting for new leadership (see page 20)

Ugh, never realized that Ultimate doom had such a horrible selection of rock textures. Making a cave that looks halfway decent is gonna be a huge pain.

Magnusblitz said:

Some brainstorming on E4 maps:
E4M7: And Hell Followed: Something where the player is chased by enemies, such as "The Demon Rush" (MAP08 in Mayhem 2013)

not bad! i actually plan on having a bit of suspense in mine, which would probably mess with some of your sanity. :> more on that later to come.

edit:

ledillman said:

I'm guessing that how this is gonna be a vanilla compatible maps i would need to use the Visplane Explorer plugin for Doom builder, but it doesn't seem to work! i tried it and Doom builder 2 crashes (I'm not using a SVN, but i downloaded a SVN some minutes ago and i got the same problem), *sigh*.

periodically i seem to have this problem as well. for me, Visplane Explorer works sometimes and other times it crashes altogether. any reasons?

Processingcontrol said:

Ugh, never realized that Ultimate doom had such a horrible selection of rock textures. Making a cave that looks halfway decent is gonna be a huge pain.

Oddly enough, I tend to instantly flock to SP_ROCK1 even in Doom2 maps as my go-to "THIS IS A ROCK" texture. I think it's NEIS leaking into my permanent brain. D:

Maybe I should make it a personal challenge to not use SP_ROCK1... or SKINTEK. Except I know I'd never be able to commit to evading the latter. :P

Ledillman said:

I'm guessing that how this is gonna be a vanilla compatible maps i would need to use the Visplane Explorer plugin for Doom builder, but it doesn't seem to work! i tried it and Doom builder 2 crashes (I'm not using a SVN, but i downloaded a SVN some minutes ago and i got the same problem), *sigh*.

I've made several vanilla-compat maps and never used this. Just build your level the way you want to, and if it crashes ChocoDoom, then make less sectors.

what the heck am i doing? making a techbase/sewer for E4M7?

i'll reveal my motives later. :)

Getsu Fune said:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/gOlA7e1.png[IMG]

what the heck am i doing? making a techbase/sewer for E4M7?

i'll reveal my motives later. :)

The right side of the map is just hallways, that big pillar could be a trap you know.

joe-ilya said:

Here's E3M6, it has everything for it already (difficulties, lighting, etc.) Guess I'm done with this map.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/3fhdod2df49un9m/erebus.wad

Well I played it.....
It's a linear up hill battle with monsters appearing ahead of you, no traps, no ambushes. Hence this map is really easy to beat. Too easy.
I don't have much to say apart from surely a little more creativity could come in handy here to be honest. Oh and Antroid will have a shitfit over certain design choices :P

E3M3: R_FindPlane: no more visplanes.

I had just gotten the plasma gun and the walls surrounding it had lowered. The error occurs somewhere around here.

Edit: This map doesn't pass a smell test. You need to work on this some more.

E3M6: I recorded a demo for this, but it seriously isn't worth the effort of me uploading. This map was pretty poor, and the obligatory cyberdemon fight at point blank range made it even worse. It's more linear than an arrow, and the difficulty ranges from extremely easy to tediously difficult (cyberdemon fight.)

joe-ilya said:

The right side of the map is just hallways, that big pillar could be a trap you know.

still very WIP at the moment. actually, you won't be able to fight monsters for awhile.

also i'm clearly imitating cannonball's style. :D

cannonball said:

Oh and Antroid will have a shitfit over certain design choices :P

Now I'm actually curious enough to check it out. On the weekend, though. Expect a belated shitfit. Although now that I am warned I will probably be prepared and react somewhat calmly!

BlueFeena said:

E3M3: R_FindPlane: no more visplanes.

I had just gotten the plasma gun and the walls surrounding it had lowered. The error occurs somewhere around here.

Edit: This map doesn't pass a smell test. You need to work on this some more.

Oh dear, well I can't believe I missed that. This might be a tricky one to fix and spending 45 minutes on this did naff all to fix this issue. Back to the drawing board I think.

cannonball said:

Oh dear, well I can't believe I missed that. This might be a tricky one to fix and spending 45 minutes on this did naff all to fix this issue. Back to the drawing board I think.

Shouldn't have to scrap anything really, since the level is largely fine. Here's a fixed version; the only change that had to be made was removing the massive line of sight in the middle of the level. It also fixes a potential exploit where a player could double back through the red key door and bypass the door close line. I didn't check the level with all of the keyed doors in an open state, but I think a visplane over flow from any of that is unlikely.

Its a shame custom textures aren't used and that the episodes are set in the original locations; Mt Erebus could be set on the real one in Antarctica, and you could work in the crashed plane from NZ..

I suppose you could pretend it was absorbed by hell though.

joe-ilya said:

Just thought of some cool detailing for E1M2.

Please illuminate me on the "cool" aspect..? I see a large brown ceiling. Some nukage filtering into water, maybe the other way around. And some sparse ceiling decoration. The room is not compelling to me in any way whatsoever. :|

So, you have few cool ideas for the entrance, except every concept makes VPOs skyrocket, along drawsegs going overboard. Then you have one that would be decent enough with few adjustments, except you have maxed the visplane/drawseg limit. :(

CorSair, I'm feeling a general sense of forboding, but in order to make it an "overwhelming" sense of foreboding, I think the red rocks need to have a variation of heights, perhaps with a gradual light variation to give it an extra spookiness.

Yeah. I tried that. Thing is, drawsegs are on verge of redline in here, so to say. Unless someone gets idea "lets make it limit-removing", I would definitely go overboard with this. :P

.:edit:.
All right, take two:

Leaves bit more room to play with limits. Cool.

So?

Try to align the REDROCK with the sky textures, at least attempt to create the unholy situation, like you are leading up to this unholy unflowing. Creaate situations of dead marines and zombies, etc.

TheCupboard said:

Please illuminate me on the "cool" aspect..? I see a large brown ceiling. Some nukage filtering into water, maybe the other way around. And some sparse ceiling decoration. The room is not compelling to me in any way whatsoever. :|

Just the brown filter thing and the red light reflection on the nukage are the cool things, the rest is just some space.

@corsair : The starting room doesn't has to be so large, you could minimize it by 3/4 so it won't be a big load of flat space.

So I just played E3M6.

Positives
It does at least fit its title

Negatives
Really bad sky tiling (see above)
Too short
Too easy
Pretty dull
Secret exit isn't exactly well hidden, and also that HOM is not nice at all.

It also breaks the rule on cyberdemons, but to be honest, I was going to scrap that one anyway.

I'd be thrilled to take E4M6, given that I'm working on lots of E4 stuff these days. I wouldn't be able to start this month, though. What kind of timeline are we working with?

There's a half-joke release date set for March 8 2016 (616 days total) but right now there's no real deadline, so you're fine. Marked you down.

Cool! In the time allotted, I could easily do 16 maps, but I'll stick with 1. ;)

Ok, Joe667 never replied to my PM or post, so I'm just going to withdraw from E1M6 and let whoever catches it first take it. I'll try to stick around for playtesting etc., at least.