Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Ultimate Doom in Name Only - voting for new leadership (see page 20)

I assume you mean my favorite in quotes? Feel free to replace that with the good one or face the terrible consequences.

Here is a fix for E3M3 I made, I changed a large part of the map to try and fit into limits, whilst trying to keep the map as open as possible. I've tested this extensively so it should be fine now.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/7fnz33q13jd32qv/e3m3cb2.wad

I made the ledge behind the red key open from the start to add a little more hell to pistol starters. Changes a few little traps here and there. This should be ok now, but still need to add the difficulties and multiplayer stuff.

What other lavafall is there, other than the Gothictx one? (Or tiled/stretched DBRAIN I guess...)

Antroid said:

I assume you mean my favorite in quotes? Feel free to replace that with the good one or face the terrible consequences.

I dunno.. I always preferred the recoloured one, though that one in plums post above doesn't actually match the lava flats properly IIRC.

Well if you want to make lava seem as liquid as the other liquids, which is by the way one of the stupider things I've imagined in the last 12 hours, be my guest.

"no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.

In other words E4M4 'por favor'.

The E4 names are basicly taken out of bible phrases.
Not a good base for a concept but i might give it a try.

Two things of note:

1) Take it from someone who's tested the crap out of a lot of complex vanilla maps: Visplane Explorer is pretty useless. Chocorenderlimits is the only way to be sure.

2) If mappers want custom songs for their E4 maps, you could include a separate E4 music WAD that replaces the necessary E1-E3 tracks.

Here's the E4 map listings and the corresponding E1-E3 maps they borrow their tracks from:

E4M1 - E3M4
E4M2 - E3M2
E4M3 - E3M3
E4M4 - E1M5
E4M5 - E2M7
E4M6 - E2M4
E4M7 - E2M6
E4M8 - E2M5
E4M9 - E1M9

tourniquet said:

The E4 names are basicly taken out of bible phrases.
Not a good base for a concept but i might give it a try.

On that note, does anyone know all the lines from which the names for e4 were taken? I think that basing the levels around whole phrases might be much more productive (and cooler) than just trying to somehow tie the levels just to the names taken out of their contexts.

tourniquet said:

Here you go. All pages contain the corresponding Psalm.

Thanks!
Eris, maybe shove this into the OP?

joe-ilya said:

Switcheroom did the same.

Pfft, one has not reached full Liquid Fall Withdrawal Syndrome until they start trying to use the blood drip in GSTFONT across an entire fall for blood.

In those cases you could just pull an E4M5 and use FIRELAVA for "blood".

Had to add another route to E4M1 because it felt kinda bland. Will put it up for testing tomorrow.

The monsters in the closet believe in healthy segregation - to avoid protests and riots I had to build their whereabouts far away from the rest of Doom's society.

_bruce_ said:

The monsters in the closet believe in healthy segregation - to avoid protests and riots I had to build their whereabouts far away from the rest of Doom's society.

What I mean is, you can excise the tunnel completely as long as the sectors the monsters "wake up" in are joined (not merged) to the original sector where the player will shoot. You don't actually need a "sound tunnel" to make it work.

Just want to throw out a big thanks to Megamur for suggesting to use Chocorenderlimits, as it makes working on the map a LOT simpler... I didn't realize how dangerously close to the drawseg limit I was in certain areas.

Onslaught Six said:

What I mean is, you can excise the tunnel completely as long as the sectors the monsters "wake up" in are joined (not merged) to the original sector where the player will shoot. You don't actually need a "sound tunnel" to make it work.

Dang, this one should save me from installing those "sewage sound pipes" - thanks!
First draft of E4M1...

preview...

link...
http://speedy.sh/EMJW4/E4M1v17.7z

Here's an updated version of E1M3, with all the problems with unpegging and stuff fixed. I messed with the lighting and architecture a bit here and there too, but real suggestions on what to do to improve it (not vague tips like "use less square architecture," real advice like "this room sucks, maybe replace it with this kind of room from x map") are appreciated.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62697468/Doom%20Stuff/E1M3.wad

sincity2100 said:

Fun map, lots of gratuitous killing, maybe a bit simplistic in combat, but then with that much space to run around in its fairly easy to fight the hordes on your own terms. That circular corridor can feel a bit long when its empty of monsters and you are running between the locked doors. Looks nice though. You might need to check its within vanilla limits, a quick check with visplane explorer shows a lot of red zones

I'm not quite sure how the "sever the wicked" is being interpreted, do you have an explanation of that?

E4M3 was a really fun map! I loved the final part with all those zombiemans and shotgunners exploding by the Cyber's rockets hahaha, overall, i like it!

dobu gabu maru said:

Just want to throw out a big thanks to Megamur for suggesting to use Chocorenderlimits, as it makes working on the map a LOT simpler... I didn't realize how dangerously close to the drawseg limit I was in certain areas.

You're welcome! Some versions of CRL don't properly report platform limits, but as long as you don't have more than 30 floors/ceilings moving simultaneously, that shouldn't be a problem anyway.

Doom's environments are too dynamic for Visplane Explorer to give anything beyond an educated guess as to where trouble spots might be, and even those may never present a problem if you properly restrict player movement/view.

sincity2100 said:

It's a nice map... but I'm not sure it's a good match for this project. Firstly, it feels like an E4 map (well, a ridiculously souped-up one), but as mouldy points out, I'm not sure how it fits the name, which (IMO, I'm not team leader) should be the #1 priority of any map.

Secondly, well, those vanilla limits:

All these areas (every outdoor area, and the hallway with the lost souls) violate the drawsegs limit and some violate the visplane limit.

Honestly, I'd say keep the map for a different project or release - it's pretty good on it's own merits, I just don't see it as a UDINO map given the project parameters.

Holy shit that ceiling on the screenshot with the lost souls. Why did you think making that sort of thing for vanilla is a good idea?

Actually I'd argue that making that sort of thing isn't a good idea even when the limits allow it, but that's personal preference...