Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
keithktam

issues i have with the BFG edtion

I have been noticing two main issues with this edition. first, does anyone notice the rendering on the glass especially the one use on glass tubes seems not as good and dull?? i used to admire to those wonderful glass tube filled with water when ever i got to see them, give me calmness in this dense atmosphere this game has... but now, i look at it, and thought, the quality is really bad!! somehow the shader is different, the gloss, the "depth" of the glass including the refraction (the old one i distinctively has "thickness") are gone!! now it looks cheap...

the second one is that the vsync issue, just like Rage, even if you enable it, the top still displaying tearing, don't know why...

the motion blur, i personally is stupid....

and since i am talking and asking about it, may well report a bug, i found that when a shield is near a door, the door would not open completely, at least wouldn't be large enough for anyone to pass through... and at some angle you can also see the texture of the door would repeat infinitely to the back of the door, much like in the classic doom when you cheat and try to go through sectors don't exist...

would love to hear what other people have to say

I agree, the BFG Edition is complete garbage. I prefer vanilla Doom 3 over everything else. If you're looking to enhance the original game, try the latest version of "Sikkmod" or "Perfected Doom 3."

Oh, and I'm not sure if you've noticed, but in BFG Edition bodies actually fall and clip through one another (instead of piling like in the original.)

The issues I have with it aren't visuals based like yours but I really can't stand the fact that way too much ammo was added to the maps when there was already more than enough ammo of particular weapons since the start of the game and with all weapons halfway through the game, and especially at the end.

Also besides the fact that they mounted flashlight to the armor they also increased the lighting in the maps which kills the point in the flashlight and the mounting of it in the first place.

Also you can no longer play the arcade machines scattered about RoE.

The only thing I would be thankful that they didn't do was add unneeded regen health and remove the medical kits. :P

...Yeah, by the second level I already have 600 machine gun rounds and at least 180 shotgun shells. What were they thinking?!!!

Avoozl said:

The issues I have with it aren't visuals based like yours but I really can't stand the fact that way too much ammo was added to the maps when there was already more than enough ammo of particular weapons since the start of the game and with all weapons halfway through the game, and especially at the end.

Also besides the fact that they mounted flashlight to the armor they also increased the lighting in the maps which kills the point in the flashlight and the mounting of it in the first place.

Also you can no longer play the arcade machines scattered about RoE.

The only thing I would be thankful that they didn't do was add unneeded regen health and remove the medical kits. :P

oh, that it! i was wondering the same thing, you see, i am just a causal player, i am now playing in veteran model, i am at the later part of the game at the moment, and there seem to be a abundant amount of plasma cell.... thats keep me alive, that why i was actually wondering why, i did play and finished the original doom 3 in hard mode(barely), i guess i just didn't remember it right... anyway, thanks for pointing that out!

RUSH said:

I agree, the BFG Edition is complete garbage. I prefer vanilla Doom 3 over everything else. If you're looking to enhance the original game, try the latest version of "Sikkmod" or "Perfected Doom 3."

Oh, and I'm not sure if you've noticed, but in BFG Edition bodies actually fall and clip through one another (instead of piling like in the original.)

would you recommend putting it on the original doom3 or the BFG?? or they both have their merits??

Doom 3 BFG edition is NOT COMPATIBLE with Doom 3 not-BFG mods.

And by "not compatible", I mean "you cannot even try to load them at all". They completely changed all the data formats. It's impossible for BFG edition to read classical Doom 3 data.

- Way too much ammo
- Increased brightness. Despite this, they still add a shoulder mounted flashlight
- No more casting dynamic shadows
- Dead bodies clip through one another instead of piling
- Horribly long load times for consoles
- Automatic checkpoint save system that freezes gameplay and cannot be turned off
- No support for original Doom 3 mods
- You can no longer play RoE arcade machines
- Unnecessary motion blur
- Changes to Sergeant Kelly's face (Umm, why?)
- Tons of added gameplay and graphical glitches
- Censored medikits and Wolfenstein levels for included Doom and Doom 2
- Pitch change for sound effects and Nightmare mode reduction (nerf) for Doom/Doom 2

RUSH said:

- Way too much ammo
- Increased brightness. Despite this, they still add a shoulder mounted flashlight
- Automatic checkpoint save system that freezes gameplay and cannot be turned off
- Pitch change for sound effects and Nightmare mode reduction (nerf) for Doom/Doom 2

Pretty sure they patched in the dynamic shadows in the PC version.
Also, you forgot the lack of muzzle flash! The muzzle flash and lack of dynamic shadows are actually the only things that bothered me. Also, they took out OpenAL support, so the sound is worse.

Screwups aside I thought the BFG edition had better gameplay than the original, even if it's not challenging at all.

It didn't crash when I tried to record it in OBS, so I consider that a plus. Also don't see how more ammo (more action) is considered a bad thing.

I am totally baffled by all these changes. Okay, if you want to lighten the challenge with brighter environments, a shoulder mounted light and more ammo, fine, go the fuck ahead. But all the other changes make so little sense, I can't wrap my brain around it. There's simply no justification.

But if you get brighter environments then what's the point of the flashlight in the first place?

Really, there's already more than enough ammo in the original version.

Marnetmar said:

Screwups aside I thought the BFG edition had better gameplay than the original, even if it's not challenging at all.

Yeah I'm going to side with that one. When Doom 3 was released, people were all "space marines don't know about duct tape hur hur hurrr, also hunting for closet codes is so fun you guys, and DOOM should be about action, not horror". Now people bitch about these problems being solved, because nostalgia!

Ok, maybe you guys aren't the same people who were complaining back then and genuinely liked the game the first time around. Fair enough.

I liked it too, and yet I also like the new version. The original game, all darkness and little enough ammo you had to scrounge for resources, was fun on a first playthrough; but those same aspects that made it immersive turned tedious on further runs. Now you've got a much faster pace with no need to stop and listen to every single PDA, which to me makes sense in a 2012 re-release.

Perhaps it could be argued newcomers to the series have their experience spoiled, and perhaps you could also wonder if Doom 3 no matter what really has all that much replayability in this day and age, with arguably much better options around. Perhaps the gameplay changes should have been optional and their implementation may not have been on the nose; but the ideas behind it all seem spot on as far as I'm concerned.

RUSH said:

- Way too much ammo

You forgot how they dumbed down some of the fights as if the game was UBER-hard before. One in particular I remember is when you replace the damaged coolant rod for the reactor, I think in Enpro or just before it. When you come out of that control room, you get bombarded by a lot (for Doom 3) of enemies in the original game. In BFG edition, it's not as many.