Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MFG38

Prayers of Armageddon: Retaliation

Prayers of Armageddon: Retaliation is a complete recreation of the 2010 hit classic (read: horrible POS) Prayers of Armageddon. The forces of Hell have once again been unleashed. You know the drill - grab the shotgun and go kick ass.

PoA: Retaliation includes:
- 32 all-new levels
- Some new graphics
- A badass original main theme
- 4 custom difficulty levels powered by ZDoom
- Flying pinkies!

Download link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r18asifajfvigtg/AAB1EParUYelmDftDtUow6aQa/poa_retl.zip?dl=0

MFG38 said:

My main goal is to make the map themes and transitions more consistent, while also improving the map layouts and gameplay.

I don't know the model game, but it must be very bad, if these maps already have improved layouts and gameplay. Sorry for the remark.

The game is probably atmosphere-based, and you've managed to create a cool atmosphere, I have to say. The well-used lighting effects and fleshy details actually help to make an unsettling feeling. Indeed there's an unified design, quite nice simple usage for silver panels and white startan. But that's about all. Challenge or level design wise there's way too little interesting in this. More specifically, these maps are non-challenging, too simply structured, flat, and (compared to any reasonably good Doom mapping) unimpressive in its architecture or gameplay. Getting all the way through a level, getting keys etc., is embarrassingly easy and simple.

There's surely a lot of room for improvement, but it depends, how far are you willing to go away from the imitated model, to improve the quality of your work as a whole. IMO, you'd better increase the challenge a lot more, ideally by employing the environment in combat as well. For example, the first enemy in this mapset, a demon, appears on stairs where he cannot descend from, therefore he's completely non-threatening. You should try to design your maps the opposite way - making the environment selectively to help the monsters, the obvious ways of doing this are monster closets, traps or places with different heights where monsters attack from...

Keep the project going if you feel like it, and I wish you good luck, but if you aim your work to be played (and enjoyed) by Doom players, perhaps you'd try for improving the work in those aspects I mentioned.

It's cool to see that you've decided to go back and give this another shot after our conversation. It doesn't look like it's gotten away from the very isolated rooms and corridors, though, and the layouts for the base maps look very flat. If I was going to make any huge sweeping suggestions I'd say that adding in things like windows so you can actually see beyond the chamber you're in and height variation would increase my interest a lot. Granted height variation is not a very informative term for what I'm trying to say but something as simple as butting up one of the sides of two adjacent rooms and lifting one high enough that Doomguy can't just step up there would go a long way. Both make the map more intriguing as you can see into places you haven't been yet and increase your sphere of influence (and what monsters can interact with) beyond the chamber you are immediately in.

kmxexii said:

It's cool to see that you've decided to go back and give this another shot after our conversation. It doesn't look like it's gotten away from the very isolated rooms and corridors, though, and the layouts for the base maps look very flat. If I was going to make any huge sweeping suggestions I'd say that adding in things like windows so you can actually see beyond the chamber you're in and height variation would increase my interest a lot. Granted height variation is not a very informative term for what I'm trying to say but something as simple as butting up one of the sides of two adjacent rooms and lifting one high enough that Doomguy can't just step up there would go a long way. Both make the map more intriguing as you can see into places you haven't been yet and increase your sphere of influence (and what monsters can interact with) beyond the chamber you are immediately in.

You have no idea how much I wanted to do this after that little chat. Basically I cancelled both of the previous projects I mentioned there to focus entirely on this, and I ran out of ideas for those anyway.

I do admit that I sort of tried to emulate the feel of the original wad in the first few maps, but trust me, I'm not out of ideas yet. Most importantly, I plan to make the gameplay lean more towards slaughter-style, but not quite like Hell Revealed & Co. I think imagine a hybrid of Doom 2 and Plutonia - that's sort of where I'm headed.

And as for height variation, I don't exactly know how much of that there will be, but it's defintely a feature I'll implement at least to a certain degree.