Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Civ

Monster Doors

I'm trying to create a WAD where at the end of the 2nd map, you have to kill the mini-boss to open a door. Although, I cannot find any tutorials on the internet for this, and unlike a lot of things in Doom Builder, I can't figure it out on my own.
Any help please?

What port are you making this for? This is easy in ZDoom and other advanced ports, and harder in Boom-compatible or limit-removing maps.

If you're using ZDoom you can easily make a script or assign an action to the monster that activates when it dies. Boom and vanilla is a bit more difficult, but by using DeHackEd you can assign the KeenDie parameter to the monster's death states so any doors marked with the tag 666 will open when it dies.

In a lot of vanilla or limit removing wads, a common solution to keeping a player from blazing past an encounter is to lock the player in the room by a door that shuts behind him, and requiring the player to solve some kind of puzzle or locate a hidden secret switch to exit. Generally the conflict with the boss is too pressing for the player to figure out how to escape without killing it first.

there's alternate ways too, like if your monster doesn't move, or is standing on a ledge where it doesn't move, you could put a gunfire activated switch behind it so you need to kill it to activate the switch, which can open a door, lower a floor, etc.
if your boss is an arachnatron or mancubus and your map is on map07 or you're okay with moving your map to map07 (since its your second map, your first map would start on map06) you could use the 667 tag that opens a door when all of the enemy type on the map is killed. If you want it to be a different monster, like a cyberdemon or something, you could use a dehacked patch that replaces the states of the mancubus or arachnatrons states with those of your chosen boss monster.

another method you could use is a dehacked patch that changes the death states of the boss monster of your choice to use the commander keen death code pointer, which can be used on any map and any monster and causes a 667 tagged door to open when all of that monster type is killed.

there's other alternatives if your mapping for a specific source port, but I don't really specialize in that kinda stuff. PM me if you'd like more details on any of the above suggestions

plums said:

What port are you making this for? This is easy in ZDoom and other advanced ports, and harder in Boom-compatible or limit-removing maps.

I'm using GZDoom Builder, and plan on using it in GZDoom only.

Super easy then, as long as you're using UDMF or Hexen format.

* give the door to raise a tag
* edit the thing on the map
* click the Action tab that comes up in the window
* give it an action like "Door Open"
* set the Sector Tag to match the door, and set a movement speed.

That should be it.

If you made your map in "Doom (Doom format)" then you'll have to convert it into another format to use those features. Not sure how hard that is.

Guest Unregistered account

40oz
If your boss is an arachnatron or mancubus and your map is on map07 or you're okay with moving your map to map07 (since its your second map, your first map would start on map06) you could use the 667 tag that opens a door when all of the enemy type on the map is killed. If you want it to be a different monster, like a cyberdemon or something, you could use a dehacked patch that replaces the states of the mancubus or arachnatrons states with those of your chosen boss monster.

The 667 tag causes the tagged sector's floor to raise by the lowest adjacent lower texture, not for the ceiling to open. :)

plums said:

Sorry, I may be mistaken here, but isn't it necessary to give doors (in UDMF) a tag for them to work? So, this step may be redundant?

EDIT: Wrong word.

^ If you just mean regular doors which are activated by running up to them and pressing 'use', then no, sector tagging isn't required.

plums said:

Super easy then, as long as you're using UDMF or Hexen format.

* edit the thing on the map
* click the Action tab that comes up in the window
* give it an action like "Door Open"
* set the Sector Tag to match the door, and set a movement speed.

That should be it.

If you made your map in "Doom (Doom format)" then you'll have to convert it into another format to use those features. Not sure how hard that is.

I tried this, yet it still doesn't work...
It's probably me that's doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what.
It's odd, because I gave the monster, and the Door the exact same sector tag, yet it seems as if they are not recognizing each other.

The Civ said:

I tried this, yet it still doesn't work...
It's probably me that's doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what.
It's odd, because I gave the monster, and the Door the exact same sector tag, yet it seems as if they are not recognizing each other.

Ok, I realized my problem. Every time the door opens, it actually moves INTO the ground. Like, buries itself into the bottom of the map. If I can fix this, I may be able to get it to work, yet I tried everything, but it still just goes into the ground. I wonder if this is a problem that can't be fixed?

I think you're going to need to post an example for anyone to help with that, unless someone has encountered that exact problem before and knows what you need to do.

Joe667 said:

The 667 tag causes the tagged sector's floor to raise by the lowest adjacent lower texture, not for the ceiling to open. :)

thanks, I was pretty sure I was misremembering that.

someday someone will post a thread in doom editing about something seemingly impossible in doom without the aid of source ports and I'll post a complicated solution in standard doom that the OP will use

The Civ said:

Ok, I realized my problem. Every time the door opens, it actually moves INTO the ground. Like, buries itself into the bottom of the map. If I can fix this, I may be able to get it to work, yet I tried everything, but it still just goes into the ground. I wonder if this is a problem that can't be fixed?

From what you're saying ("Every time the door opens...") I assume your door works, right?

The Civ said:

Before pressing use key:
http://i.imgur.com/AAHWw7o.png?1
After pressing use key:
http://i.imgur.com/OqwX9oh.png?1

Here I'm just guessing, but maybe the floor and ceiling from your "door sector" don't have the same height? Like, maybe the height ceiling is -8, so it "buries" into the ground every time it closes?