Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fellowzdoomer

The Last Screen in Doom 2 / 64

I mean the one with all the enemies at the end. What's the point of it, anyway? Is it linked to the story of Doom? Is there an end or is it endless? (not counting Quit Game.)

It's just for fun and has no story relevance. It loops endlessly until you end the game, start a new game, load a saved game, or quit.

Fellowzdoomer said:

I mean the one with all the enemies at the end. What's the point of it, anyway? Is it linked to the story of Doom? Is there an end or is it endless? (not counting Quit Game.)

It was just added there by the Masters of Doom, for in their infinite wisdom they knew that someday, someone would make a post just like yours.

My interpretation would be that they wanted to deliver a sense of "finality" already to Doom 2, to the point that when reaching the end, you get a "well done, you did it, finito" message, with no hints of leaving things open-ended. You even got a show of the cast, to make a point that you'd -normally- never see them again, at least in an official/canon sequel, which is not really far from truth.

Considering that Final Doom , Doom 64 etc. were much later affairs, this might have actually been their intention.

Showing the enemy rosters at the end of a game is not something new either: it was also done e.g. in Juju/Toki and many arcade games.

Maes said:

It was just added there by the Masters of Doom, for in their infinite wisdom they knew that someday, someone would make a post just like yours.

Fucking ace

Fellowzdoomer said:

I was just wondering if there was some other point to it. And we ALL killed our hero by pressing Spacebar :-p

I have killed OUR hero in multiple ways.

Now go and rest our heroes .

Maes said:

Showing the enemy rosters at the end of a game is not something new either: it was also done e.g. in Juju/Toki and many arcade games.

And the most memorable: Super Marjo 2 :-)

Fellowzdoomer said:

^I could list 6 games that do this...

Why don't you list them then?

Fellowzdoomer said:

I was just wondering if there was some other point to it. And we ALL killed our hero by pressing Spacebar :-p

you bring him back to life with spacebar too

40oz said:

you bring him back to life with spacebar too

What a cruel way to honor the hero by torturing him with an endless cycle of life and death.

I was gonna ask this someday, but never made to it.

Spoiler

Let's see, it has been almost 4 years since I've registered and I rather waited for someone else to ask this long. I seriously have to do something with my life already.

Crasger said:

What a cruel way to honor the hero by torturing him with an endless cycle of life and death.

AHEM! A cruel way to honor our hero is sending him out on a mission! (TNT, Plutonia, DTWID, etc.)

Not that the ZDoomGuy has it easier...

EDIT: let's not forget Homer Simpson dies too!

Cell said:

I was gonna ask this someday, but never made to it.

Spoiler

Let's see, it has been almost 4 years since I've registered and I rather waited for someone else to ask this long. I seriously have to do something with my life already.

Spoiler

-.-

Fellowzdoomer said:

AHEM! A cruel way to honor our hero is sending him out on a mission!

Not really.