Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FLAW_88

New DOOM must be a long way off still..

It doesn't look like this game is going to be released any time in the near future.

The Next DOOM at QuakeCon

You've been clamoring for it for years, and now the wait is almost over. As announced in our E3 teaser trailer, fans in attendance at QuakeCon 2014 will have the opportunity to get a sneak peak at what’s been going on with the new DOOM game from id Software.

This an exclusive thing we are doing for attendees as part of our Annual QuakeCon Welcome presentation. WE'LL HAVE PLENTY MORE TO SHOW EVERYONE NEXT YEAR, but we didn’t want another QuakeCon to go by without doing something for the amazing QC community and id supporters that have been with us for more than 20 years.

http://bethsoft.com/en-us/news

WE'LL HAVE PLENTY MORE TO SHOW EVERYONE NEXT YEAR....?

So basically the game still won't be done by this time next year since they are saying it will still be a QuakeCon presentation next year with more to show.
I don't know if I'm just unrealistic but I was totally expecting the game to be released late this year (Christmas) or at the latest the first quarter of next year considering there's already a confirmed beta for which codes have already gone out for, plus a teaser trailer and now a reveal at QuakeCon (that non attendees don't even get to see). Am I the only one who thought it would be released before late 2015 early 2016?

I had assumed sometime in 2015, hopefully more like summer than late in the year. An August 2015 release would be cool. But I could wait longer if need be.

It is a bit oldschool to release that teaser online at e3 time getting buzz and then have us wait until next year. These classic 90s devs sure take their time. (Hey Half-Life 3, how are you doing...)

I feel like i got sucker punched twice today. Just finding out about the garbage their pulling on everyone by not allowing a live stream of the reveal, and now realizing that it's not nearly as close to being done as I thought it was.

Well, it has been in development hell forever. Telling from the negative glassdoor reviews that were written not too long ago, things have been a mess over there for a long time. Hopefully, they have gotten it together and are now on the up swing, but who knows how long ago that up swing took place? Could have been fairly recent so therefore they have only produced very little material worth showing off. I don't care really, just as long as they make a quality product.

Yea that is true. I just don't see the sense in hyping something up that is still 2 years away from actually hitting the shelves. Because by then it will be old news and the new/next best thing will have taken it's place. Gotta have hype (trailers, beta keys, ect,) released in a decent and timely manner before the game actually gets released. Not 2 years before everyone even gets to play it. For instance...if they were to release a teaser and beta key for Half Life 3 or Fallout 4 when it's obviously not coming to store shelves anytime soon. The gap between initial hype and actual release of game needs to be closer together.

Trying to figure out how to make a Doom that can please old fans(most likely PC players) and at the same time young players that play on consoles is not an easy task. It is probably the most herculean task for id. They need to make this game a selling success otherwise their future will be doomed.

Online cooperative for campaign and a rich competitive multiplayer content is a mandatory and will help a lot in sales, mainly in consoles.

Kaskaum said:

Trying to figure out how to make a Doom that can please both old fans(most likely PC players) and at the same time young players that play on consoles is not an easy task. It is probably the most herculean task for id. They need to make this game a selling success otherwise their future will be doomed.

Definitely! I understand that. It must be extremely difficult. Except call me old fashioned.. but when someone hands me a beta key to an upcoming new game, that gives me the incentive that a beta is right around the corner somewhere. Then when said beta comes out, that gives me further incentive that the actual full product will be delivered soon. Not 2 to 3 years down the road like how the industry standard seems to be going now days. I just don't understand why game developers and publishers start with the hype so soon when they know they have nothing done yet.

Kaskaum said:

Trying to figure out how to make a Doom that can please old fans(most likely PC players) and at the same time young players that play on consoles is not an easy task. It is probably the most herculean task for id. They need to make this game a selling success otherwise their future will be doomed.

I think the constant debates in the "Doom 4 should have" thread show that it will be impossible for id to please all Doom fans. It's just not possible. There are some people on this forum that are such purists that if the new Doom isn't exactly like Doom 1 or Doom 2, they will throw shit fits over it.

Wow this is a total surprise. On Bethblog it says 'at a later date' but on Bethsoft news it says 'next year'.

I'm trying my damnedest to keep things in perspective. Imagine how traumatic and stressful it must be, for your career to get shat upon repeatedly as you struggle to develop a product that is hyped to the umpteenth degree while simultaneously being of little interest, depending on the demographic. Imagine everything being thrown away, possibly multiple times, only to start again and hope stability will ensue. I'm not happy about the implication that very little beyond the teaser will be shown at QC, but I'm going to attend anyway, because I've been waiting too long. I'll just have to accept whatever they present to us.

Yea, don't get me wrong I really feel for ID with all the problems they are facing in the company right now, plus trying to make such a controversial game to not only please old fans of the series but also the newer younger generation that might have only played DOOM 3 to this date. I'm just sick to death of false marketing schemes to promote hype for something that is obviously extremely far from being a playable game. Regardless of the problems that ID are experiencing...lets face the facts. The original DOOM 4 plan was scraped over 3 years ago and completely restarted as a whole new game simply as DOOM. Which means as of now they have already had 3 years to re-create the new version. And now based on my original post it looks like we may not see it released for another possible year and a half to 2 years. And in the meantime we have beta keys, a teaser trailer and a QuakeCon reveal. It's nuts.

I can TOTALLY see id Software FINALLY being ready to release the game... only for Valve to also release Half-Life 3, destroying the whole plan and in effect instantly killing id.

Patrol1985 said:

I can TOTALLY see id Software FINALLY being ready to release the game... only for Valve to also release Half-Life 3, destroying the whole plan and in effect instantly killing id.

Oh my...It'll be Doom 3 all over again

DooM_RO said:

Oh my...It'll be Doom 3 all over again

Exactly.

doom_is_great said:

Would be great to have rematch.

And id Software would get stomped again and you know it. Despite being their biggest financial success "on paper", Doom 3 left people underwhelmed. I think its success resulted more from the game being known as "a sequel to those awesome games of the 90s" than because of its own merits.

On the other hand, Half-Life 2 left people wanting SO MUCH MORE. Half-Life 3 is a game that doesn't need advertising. As soon as Gabe Newell even tweets officially: "Half-Life 3 confirmed" people will instantly forget about Doom....

...and seeing how id Software has been playing their cards for some time, I kind of want it to happen.

Doom 3 did well and does have it's fans. Personally, I thought the timing was great, Doom 3 in the summer, then HL2 in November, it was beautiful. The best year in the past decade or more for FPS releases I'd say.

It's not like Doom 3 was SiN or something. :P

Patrol1985 said:

And id Software would get stomped again and you know it.

Actually I don't. Considering the fact that the new team that is making the new Doom consists of almost none of the old talent that made Doom 3 and that Pete Hines himself has said that the new Doom has to prove itself and can't sell on its name alone, I think that there is a chance that the new Doom can be something new and different but at the same time retain its identity. We don't know at this point. Even with all the crap that has happened at id in the past 5 years or so, there is still a chance that this Doom could be awesome.

And didn't the last few HL2 episodes blow chunks? What makes you think that HL3 would be anything new or refreshing?

doom_is_great said:

Actually I don't. Considering the fact that the new team that is making the new Doom consists of almost none of the old talent that made Doom 3 and that Pete Hines himself has said that the new Doom has to prove itself and can't sell on its name alone, I think that there is a chance that the new Doom can be something new and different but at the same time retain its identity. We don't know at this point. Even with all the crap that has happened at id in the past 5 years or so, there is still a chance that this Doom could be awesome.

And didn't the last few HL2 episodes blow chunks? What makes you think that HL3 would be anything new or refreshing?

If Tim Willits is to be believed, a lot of people from the core design team from Doom 3 are still at the company and worked on the Lost Mission. He said that after the whole reboot and all that drama supposedly happened.

Also, I thought HL2: Episodes 1 and 2 were awesome! But I also like games other people seem to hate, like Doom 3. To each his own, I guess.

Obzen said:

If Tim Willits is to be believed, a lot of people from the core design team from Doom 3 are still at the company and worked on the Lost Mission. He said that after the whole reboot and all that drama supposedly happened.

Also, I thought HL2: Episodes 1 and 2 were awesome! But I also like games other people seem to hate, like Doom 3. To each his own, I guess.

Hmm. That could be either a good or bad thing. Hopefully the new Doom will have the same dark atmosphere of Doom 3, however, they better not repeat the same mistakes they made with Doom 3.

doom_is_great said:

Hmm. That could be either a good or bad thing. Hopefully the new Doom will have the same dark atmosphere of Doom 3, however, they better not repeat the same mistakes they made with Doom 3.

From what I gather, all the Doom 3 vets and all the main Doom 3 team became the Rage team. They hired people, bolstered their crew and started a second team to do Doom 4 while they were working on Rage... The problems started when Rage kinda flopped and Doom 4 was shaping up to be a CoD clone, most likely thanks to the lead designer at the time, who was previously responsible for Aliens: Colonial Marines. How this guy landed a job at id software, I'll never know.

Anyway, management was ass over there and the game was a mess... So Bethesda decided to have id restructure and refocus, make Doom 4 the only focus, fold id software into one team and go full-steam ahead. I guess the merger caused a lot of growing pains, butting heads and all that. Took a long time to iron out but now they seem to be a functioning team. I'm guessing a lot of the "I'd is in trouble" rumors were started by ex employees that got the short end of the stick due to the team merger and down sizing.

These are the long-time id vets that are still at the company. Not sure if that's all of them. Also, I'm not 100% about Seneca and Jan Paul.

Kevin Cloud (1992)
Tim Willits (1995)
Robert Duffy (1998)
Michael Maynard (August 2005)
Andy Chang (August 2001)
Pat Duffy (2001)
Seneca Menard (1999)
Jan Paul van Waveren (1999)
Marty Stratton (2000)

Obzen said:

The problems started when Rage kinda flopped and Doom 4 was shaping up to be a CoD clone, most likely thanks to the lead designer at the time, who was previously responsible for Aliens: Colonial Marines. How this guy landed a job at id software, I'll never know.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! *gasps for air* AAAAaAAAAAAhhh!!!!!

WHAT THE FUUUCK?!

Touchdown said:

These are the long-time id vets that are still at the company. Not sure if that's all of them. Also, I'm not 100% about Seneca and Jan Paul.

Jan Paul van Waveren (1999)

JMP is rumored to have JMP'd on over to Oculus VR (yes, that's an assembly language based joke).