Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

How to play DOOM Multiplayer - Tutorial & Info!

Doomseeker and DE ping the same master servers and thus get the same lists. It does not matter which program you use unless your browser supports one port the other does not. In your case, DE would have the advantage of also seeing ZDaemon servers because DS does not support ZDaemon. 

8 hours ago, Heks said:

Doomseeker and DE ping the same master servers and thus get the same lists. It does not matter which program you use unless your browser supports one port the other does not. In your case, DE would have the advantage of also seeing ZDaemon servers because DS does not support ZDaemon. 

Sweet, I thought that may have been the case after I thought about my response a while later. Cheers for the info!

20 hours ago, Crackers0106 said:

How do I create a LAN server on vanilla so I can play locally?

I found doomseeker easy as pie to install and fairly easy to explain to others too, though since you are local you wont need to. Watch a tutorial on setting up doomseeker and a LAN server should be pretty easy to figure out

This tutorial is awesome, i can finally find people to play and servers with low ping across all three main multiplayer ports without having to use separate launchers.

Hope you don't mind if i make a spanish video tutorial of the IDE method. Does IDE support language packs though?

On 1/15/2019 at 3:41 PM, Crackers0106 said:

How do I create a LAN server on vanilla so I can play locally?

If you mean through DosBox, this should help: https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/connectivity

After that starting/joining a game using SETUP.EXE that comes with Doom and Doom2 is simple. If you get stuck somewhere let me know.

28 minutes ago, -TDRR- said:

This tutorial is awesome, i can finally find people to play and servers with low ping across all three main multiplayer ports without having to use separate launchers.

Hope you don't mind if i make a spanish video tutorial of the IDE method. Does IDE support language packs though?

I’m not sure, bond would be the man to ask. A Spanish video would be excellent, I know following a walkthrough is probably a pain in the ass for people who don’t speak English natively!

On 1/16/2019 at 7:59 AM, -TDRR- said:

Does IDE support language packs though?

Yes it does: download Default language file for Doom Explorer and use delang_eng.ini as template for you translation.

There is Spanish translation for IDE alreday - though it is outdated and doesnt fit Doom Explorer, it can be used as example.

If you make this file - send it to me ( or link to it ), i'll put it on download page

For me i know master servers for:

Zandronum

ZDaemon

Odamex

Chocolate doom (also will be cool if support will be added in Doom Explorer) (you can use crispy doom clients, even i seen somewhere crispy heretic & hexen)

Doomsday (would be cool if support will be added in Doom Explorer or Doomseeker or in Doom connector if it alive)

not working now:

Vavoom

Skulltag

And i discovered Doom Legacy Master Server , does it still works?

P.S. Also doom engine game called Sonic Roboblast 2 is supported in Doomseeker 

Any other master server you know? alive or dead? any

Sorry for the late reply, I'm pretty sure the Legacy master server has been down for over 10 years, but SRB2 which you mentioned is a fork of Legacy still has servers running. I know Doom Explorer recently added Doomsday support. @bond, is there any possibility of Chocolate Doom master server support in future builds of DE? Just curious

I suppose you could add the old CSDoom master server under "not working now" as well. That's been down for closer to 20 years now (god damn..)

Co-op question. I haven't played cooperative since 96 so my memory is a little hazy. If a player dies in co-op do they retain keys? I assume you'd have to otherwise the level could be unbeatable. A quick google search gives both yes and no answers.

19 minutes ago, Szymanski said:

If a player dies in co-op do they retain keys? I assume you'd have to otherwise the level could be unbeatable.

Not in vanilla. The original rules were you lost everything on respawn, this is not a problem despite your erroneous assumption because keys permanently stay on the map and can be recollected.

9 minutes ago, Szymanski said:

Thanks, I take it weapons can't be recollected. I'm checking some old maps for multiplayer issues.

Weapons could. In co-op they stay permanently like keys and could be recollected, however only placed weapons and you could only collect a placed weapon once, attempting to collect another one did nothing and thus can't be used for ammo. Dropped weapons are unaffected and could be collected as ammo per normal. So while a map could become ammo starved as time goes on, the weapons were always available.

-altdeath (aka "deathmatch 2.0") rules changed it so weapons were removed but respawned along with other items, however this behaviour is exclusive to altdeath under vanilla.

Thanks, I think I just have to keep an eye out for use once doors. I know AV24 has some issues but with search down I can't find the thread.

Hey, it is posible to make servers with the rules that i want in doomseeker or doom explorer?

So long as you forward ports you can use both Doomseeker and DE to start any sort of server you like

@Doomkid One particular useful utility that i came across earlier this week is Hypnotoad's VanillaDM. All the setting up stuff you need to do with Vanilla Doom in DOSBox before you can go online? VanillaDM takes cares of it using a tightly integrated mix of several programs. With its built-in configuration tabs, it definitely makes DOSBox act and feel more like a source port.

Sadly the thread didn't garnish a lot of interest back then:

Ive made a page for it on the DoomWiki, because ive noticed a lot of folks actually like to play multiplayer Doom in the purist fashion, foregoing Chocolate Doom's settings. Plus, because it is DOSBox based, it has some unique features of its own.

Thanks a lot for sharing this - I'll definitely add a link to it under the vanilla section of the tutorial. Looks like it will be very useful for that small but dedicated base of DOSBox players/DMers that I know are out there.

Apologies for bumping this thread to shill something I've made, but I just finished uploading a video tutorial to help people learn to host mp servers using tspg and I think it belongs in this thread. At the very least it'd be good to have all of this type of info in one place!

My old video tutorial was pointlessly long-winded, so here's a newer, more streamlined 4 minute long version. Much easier to digest!

8 hours ago, Doomkid said:

My old video tutorial was pointlessly long-winded, so here's a newer, more streamlined 4 minute long version. Much easier to digest!

Watched the video, great tutorial and very much to the point. I've never used Doom Explorer, but I had an pretty messy doom folder so the video inspired me to do a clean install of the ports I use (all of them) and use that utility going forward to find servers.

Thanks for the great content @Doomkid

Maybe not the best place to ask but: Does anyone else get access violations when trying to run doom explorer? It will run after that but there are some annoying issues: the different parts of the options menu are invisible, and even if i do find them my changes are reverted next time I run it.

I was able to get the program to behave similarly when installed in the Program Files folder and run with the -appdir (or -portable) command line option. If this is your case, remove this option - check the shortcut properties for -appdir or -a or /a or -portable or -p or /p and remove it. If these options are required, install Doom Explorer to a folder that does not require UAC privileges - C:\GAMES for example.

Edit: I fixed a bug in the program - please update it

Edited by bond

Hello ! The last week I started to use Discord and doomseeker / doom explorer to play in Duel mode, but I find VERY difficult to find people interested in playing.

In fact, I don't know if I'm not doing it right, because I'm new to Discord too (but not to Doom, of course).

And also I don't have a clear idea if, for example, when I connect to the server "[EB] Insanity Duel" in 142.132.155.163:10677 (http://euroboros.net/zandronum/wads) I'm actually playing with a bot (the player is called 'barrel guy') or with a human.

So my other main questions are...

- What is the best way to ask people if they want to play some Duel match and success so people joins the server I propose that I see in doomseeker or doom explorer?

- Wich one is better, doom explorer or doom seeker ?

- Long time ago I've created my own levels to play Doom with a friend (a long long time ago... Modems were used!) And I'd like to 'host' new ones... Do I have to 'host' them on my own PC, or can I use somehow, a 'public free Doom server' like... euroboros maybe ?

- What is zdboard used for ?

- The 'chat' in doom explorer is for chat with people live ? Maybe I can use it to find people to play ? How can I configure it ?

I know I'm asking too many things at once, but once I get some answer I will stop being so stubborn, I promise...

Thanks in advance !

I will see if I can help with some of the questions. I will try to go top down.

I would say the best way to try and get people to play is join some of the community discord servers to look for games, where they have certain roles for this manner. Whether it be Looking For Games (LFG) role, Duel role, Deathmatch role, etc...

Main source port Discords:
Odamex: https://discord.gg/bvvMJMS

Zandronum: https://zandronum.com/

ZDaemon: https://discord.gg/aXnf2XM

Doom Central [Formerly Multiplayer Doom Federation(MDF)] - https://discord.gg/YQyg4cf

As for which program is better, I guess it is a matter of preference. I like Doom Explorer because it has the 3 main source ports to easily find games, but Doom Seeker has the ability to use others, which is convenient as well (Chocolate Doom, SRB2, etc...). The IRC feature with Doom Explorer is also neat as you can connect to all of the IRC channels of the respective ports. Although not quite as active as they used to be as most have migrated to discord, and I think Zandronum IRC is down now? Don't quote me on the last bit, bit I couldn't connect just now.

For hosting your own wads and servers, you can use EuroBoros [EB], The Setinels Playground [TSPG], or Down Under Doomers [DUD] to freely host wads and servers on Zandronum! EB and DUD are forks of TSPG iirc, and are great alternatives for starting servers outside of the United States.

For ZDBoard, this is a feature of ZDaemon, where you can keep track of both your experience points and see what players have been active within the last hour. With the list you can then see their ZDaemon user information.

For the chat, I think you may be talking about the IRC stuff, in which yes, it is for chatting with live people. This page might help a bit on finding channels - https://doomwiki.org/wiki/IRC

Bom mas é possível eu jogar online no Delta touch do sistema android?

Como uso celular, é o único meio que posso jogar.

On 1/24/2023 at 3:39 AM, Fabiano1991 said:

Bom mas é possível eu jogar online no Delta touch do sistema android?

Como uso celular, é o único meio que posso jogar.

Desculpe, eu não falo português, espero que o google tradutor me faça bem aqui lol.

Sim, o Delta Touch executa a mesma versão do Zandronum que os PCs para que você possa jogar entre plataformas com usuários de PC e com outros usuários móveis! Você terá que se conectar com outras pessoas (pergunte no discord, aqui ou em outros lugares onde os doomers se reúnem) para obter os detalhes do servidor para ingressar e, em seguida, você deve ser definido. Também tenho alguns vídeos do youtube (em inglês, desculpe) de como se conectar a servidores usando delta touch se você pesquisar no meu youtube. Boa sorte e feliz fragging!