Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Miller

Only as an inspiration ...

Hi there,
I'm new here and I want to say hello.

As you see, or I should better say read, my english is a little bit poor.
So you should not expect any long dissertations from me ...
It´s hard work for me to find the right words and terms,
sorry for this circumstance.

If you want to take a look at my JDoom2-project, here is the link:
http://www.idgames.de/threads/13278-J-DOOM-II-MOD-Aus-den-Archiven

regards
Miller

no need to be apologetic, your English seems quite good anyway :p

Those screenshots look really impressive! You seem to be very good at making real life enviroments in Doom. Many have tried it and more often than not it ends up looking awkward. Your efforts on the other hand is pretty spot on.

I read the entire thread on the German forum you linked to, but couldn't find any information about what port it is made for and if there is a demo available. But hey, I might have missed it because my German is getting a little rusty :)

Thanks for letting us know about your project and remember to keep us updated on your project here on DW. It would be too bad if only a small group of Germans got to play this ;)

Hi Chris,
Thank you for your friendly reply. Sorry for the delay - I just have fun with my translation program ... ;)

Yes, ... I use an old version of the doomsday-port / engine (Version 1.8.6).
It was (I think so) the last version with the possibility to create transparent sectors.
This is a very important feature for me to create my levels.

What should I tell? What you see is the result of over 15 years Development and level building.
Together with a friend, several Conversions have been created (Doom1, Doom2 and Duke).
He took care of the MD2 models and together, we have built levels and the engine further improved ...
This collaboration ended in 2010.
Since that time, I no longer have the opportunity to change or improve the MD2 Monster / Object files.
Anyway, after a year I decided to go ahead ...
Since then I have all the graphics revised (front screen, menu, textures) ...
have a new level built (the guest house in the ice)
and now I am working on my levels to bring them up to date.

To the german text: (sorry) I write on the German side, because I have there the opportunity to loadup
my pictures directly to the page ... which is easier for me!
It's not because someone there is interested in playing old games or level building ...
To be fair, they just have other interests.

In order to make a quick look into the future ... here are another link:

http://www.idgames.de/threads/13269-Hallo-sagen

These levels have some small errors but the pictures show what is yet to come ...
(there's just still a little bit of work ...) :)

Thank you very much for your interest, Chris.
Greetings
Miller

You're very welcome, Miller. Thanks for the answer to my questions. And don't be sorry for primarily using the German site. Doomworld might the big granddaddy of classic Doom sites, but that doesn't mean we all have to use it :) I think it was good choice to introduce your project here as well to get a bigger and more international audience.

It's easy to see from the screenshots that you have a lot of experience with level design. It looks very polished and is clearly a product with a lot of hard work behind it.

Good luck with it and keep up the good work!

Very very impressive, to put it lightly.

Though I think the more medieval inspired areas look better than the rest, perhaps due to the more squareness of a castle like corridor versus outdoor ice area's being better suited to the Doom engine.

Something I have been wondering though, in screenshots like this one, I notice the fake shadows.

Are they textured decorations (textured dynamic light's) as implied by what looks like a dynamic light in the middle? Or are they just specially made flats with the shadows baked on?

http://www.idgames.de/attachment.php?attachmentid=1667&d=1393840931

If the former; I recall only ever seeing two released mod in the history of Doomsday actually use that feature.

Hello Vermil,
Yes you are right, it is a (Light-) Decoration in combination with a shadow layer (Bottom map / Side map) assigned to the floor graphics (flat).
Greetings
Miller

I'll have to agree with Chris, this is very impressive stuff. Great modeling and texture work. One of the hardest things to do in Doom is create a ship that doesn't look like pure crap, and yours has radar and guns and basically looks fucking awesome! It's like you've taken the Doom engine and upgraded it to Quake 2.

Please keep us up to date. I hunger for the opportunity to play this.

Those shots look as if they come from an ID Tech 3 engine game, they are quite good.

I'm not really familiar with JDoom and this doesn't look very Doom-esque IMO nonetheless some fairly interesting shots. Have you implemented any weapons at his point? All your shots just show Doomguys hand. Anyhow good luck with that project.

Außerdem Grüsse von nem Landsmann :p

Neat! So this is almost an entire episode of interesting sights, looking forward for a download for the finished maps.

Hey miller, I'm new here as well, but I love the looks you put into your wad. The top of the ship looks really cool and the transport ship and helicopter make me wonder about dooms limits. Let me know if/when you need testers in the future, I'd be happy to help.

Fonze said:

... Let me know if/when you need testers in the future, I'd be happy to help.

Many thanks for your offer Fonze ...

Greetings
Miller

The art and models have all looked nice, but I haven't yet seen much in the screenshots that would make for interesting combat, unless of course this mod will have notably different gameplay from Doom?

Good looking stuff man. I like the look of the settings you're creating. Even the simpler stuff like the ice walls with the blue lights on them just look cool.

Keep it up man :)

Man miller, those shots look fantastic too. Great attention to detail!
The USS ranger shots looked promising, and then I looked at the searth and rescue shots...
Lovin' it, flat out. Looks amazing. The third from the last shot tripped me out for a second because your aim reticle was in just the right spot to look like a pair of eyes in the bush, lol. I'd like to see some more cool colored lighting in the shots, like the snow map. But it's ultimately uneccessary as they look fantastic already and far better than what I could produce.

Fonze said:

Man miller, those shots look fantastic too. Great attention to detail!
The USS ranger shots looked promising, and then I looked at the searth and rescue shots...
Lovin' it, flat out. Looks amazing. The third from the last shot tripped me out for a second because your aim reticle was in just the right spot to look like a pair of eyes in the bush, lol. I'd like to see some more cool colored lighting in the shots, like the snow map. But it's ultimately uneccessary as they look fantastic already and far better than what I could produce.

Hello Fonze,

It's always a matter of the light ...
The light setting in the game is actually kept fairly dark (no light without shadow ...)
but to be able to recognize something I have some pictures brightened up slightly.

Because I reworked quite a few graphics or replacing them, of course, a lot of mistakes in the levels have appeared.
So it is a bit difficult to show more good pictures without errors ...
(And just as a note: I use only the original Doom2 graphic slots with the 'Doomsday'engine - nothing else)

To the work itself, it's easy if you have a good foundation, which one you can always rearrange!
The only problem is to work it out ... (okay no sarcasm) :))

I'm sure, you could build the same things (with this basics) as good as I am!

So, thank you again for your interest, Fonze!
Have fun - ... and nice level building.

Greetings
Miller