Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tiger

[Released] Abandoned Misery - A DM Map

Abandoned Misery is only a single map focused on the Deathmatch genre. This map does, however, requires the GZDoom's OpenGL renderer engine. Thus, anyone that utilizes the software engine provided in the ZDoom engine is out of luck as it can not yet render sloped 3D Objects. This map does work on Zandronum aswell, but requires version 3.0.

I do hope everyone likes this map and possibly see this very map in other projects [just give me some credit for it ;)]

Images

Downloads

Just an update, incase for those that do not check the Development Blog
Here's another update - up to revision 964:

IMAGES ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE!

Here is even more screenshot updates (up to revision 670). In addition, I have begun planning on the Dependencies. More news on this later...
Anyone is free to share some input on the dependencies and the general developments.

Here's another round of screenshot updates (up to revision 984). Getting close to finishing this map....

Within a couple of days, I will be uploading a new revision of the 'Abandoned Misery' map for gameplay testing. Thus, everyone will be able to test out the latest map revision and share feedback.

I will post more information later on....

DoomRenegade said:

I'll help you with any future projects you have, I'm trying to put together a Doom Deathmatch Team. Here is most of my work - https://www.dropbox.com/s/6hp3qtuwxbxwafe/AllWads2014.zip?m=
Have a nice day :)

Thanks! Good luck with your project!

What you've made looks excellent, Tiger - very atmospheric, especially for Deathmatch turf. I hope you see success with this!

I have uploaded a preview of Abandoned Misery (revision 1008), do remember to grab the latest texture package. Everyone is free to take a peak at it and send feedback of the map. As the map currently has no items\weapons, the map can not really be played as is without needed additional resources. For those that want to test out the map by themselves or with friends, I would recommend on using Zandronum 2.0 [140723-1716] and enable the buckshot modifier until the map contains items and weapons.

Enjoy!

Abandoned Misery Preview 2 is now available (revision 1033) for everyone to try and share feedback.

I think it is time for me to start working on the outside areas now....

I have recently uploaded Abandoned Misery revision 1047; this revision merely contains lighting and a few other minor changes. I have tested this map with GZDoom 2.0.01 beta build and immediately noticed how generally smooth the map plays - even with the dynamic lighting and expensive features that ultimately put GZDoom 1.8.6 and previous version to its knees.
I hope others enjoy the changes thus far! As always, share feedback and feel free to test drive this map.

More screenshots available here

Just letting everyone know of the current developments going on; I am taking a break from Abandoned Misery map, but I am currently slowly working on the inner-core of the project instead. The inner-core contains MapInfo, OpenGL lighting, Decorate items, and the like. For those that want to try-out an early alpha version of the inner-core and send feedback, check out this topic.

Here is a testing build that contains the entire TGRDM3 build as-is. The only maps that are playable is only 'map04' (Abandoned Misery). With this build, Abandoned Misery now contains weapon placements, which now users are now able to play the map. Feel free to play around and send feedback. I am going to try to stay away from this project for now before I ultimately drop this project.

Have fun

Download

The TGRDM3 project development has been cancelled for GZDoom; the project is going to shift over to another engine away from Doom.

The forum moderators are free todo what they wish with this entire topic.

It's a shame to see this is on hiatus at the moment and away from Doom? Judging by this, I gather that it will be a TC? It's understandable that there are other things that you have to do. I cannot wait too see this finished as it looks good judging by the shots. I just hope that the game play is on par with the detail.

Springy said:

It's a shame to see this is on hiatus at the moment and away from Doom? Judging by this, I gather that it will be a TC? It's understandable that there are other things that you have to do. I cannot wait too see this finished as it looks good judging by the shots. I just hope that the game play is on par with the detail.

I don't quite understand....

The project wasn't a 'Total Conversion' from another game or works, but perhaps my meaning of this word is not accurate? The map, along with others has been very much open for several years now, though very recently I started adding 'life' (details, textures, etc) to the map named Abandoned Misery. In addition, going by the replies I have gotten from Zandronum, ZDoom, DRDTeam, and here, there is real no need to bother pushing myself to get these maps done. Simply, no one is really interested and I don't want to waste more time into a project that will get ignored and never played -- managing over 500 3D Objects isn't exactly easy. Moreover, the gameplay could have been judged already using the latest testing build. The testing build actually provides weapon placements, weapon changes, and a much more recent version of Abandoned Misery. Though, I never got any feedback. When I did a private testing session with Qent (Zandronum community member), we didn't have any issues with gameplay. The map played as I wanted it when I first designed in in graphing and grid paper, decent gameplay.

TGRDM3 might still happen in the far future with some plain 2D maps, but the current maps I have worked on will be recreated elsewhere.

Oh, I assumed it was going to be a TC now as you said that you're moving away from Doom or something. That made me think that you are going away from Doom DM style (be it art, complete game play etc), but still be made for a different Doom engine, perhaps even a personal one you may have just made. Just a misunderstanding.

After receiving some feedback from Edward850 (a known member in the ZDoom Community), I am going to try to better organize my posts and revision news-flashes and see how it well goes from there. Though, it will take me awhile to start the development again as I have been extremely busy with other tasks lately....

Still working on the outside area in Abandoned Misery; here's my work so far:

Note: click on the images to see it larger.

Before:

After:

Here's another nice update; there's still a lot of work to be done - mainly making the 'cutoff' from translucent water to non-translucent water less noticeable, and then add in the skybox along with other environment settings. I am going to take a small break from this project and start working on some introduction projects, so the next update will take a little while. Anyways, enjoy the pictures.

Now I have added in the rocks, now there is no more cut-off from mirrored water and non-mirrored. Doesn't this seem more natural now?

I have just uploaded a new public beta build of Abandoned Misery [r1186]; there is an abundance of changes so I hope everyone likes the changes thus far.

Most notable changes in revision 1186:

• Actual work on the outside of the map!
  • Added water
  • Added placements for Doom 2 Weapons
  • Added placements for Doom 2 Ammo
  • Added placements for Doom 2 Health and Armor bonuses
  • General map updates and fixes
Grab it here

This map has been officially released; please check the main topic for more details.

For the past several weeks, I have been thinking about re-continuing this project. I tried to grow thick skinned and kill the project as I have various other tasks going on that needs my attention, but - then I feel awful that these maps wont be available for anyone to play and enjoy. Despite the lack of interest on Abandoned Misery, I still firmly believe that these maps are - really good. I have tried at my best ability to follow Deathz0r's multiplayer guide (was available on the SkullTag forums), but also bring in the concept of 3D objects while using my own mapping rhetoric.

I am unsure as to what exactly I am going to do, but I have already started looking at free (and publicly available) repository services and wondering if I want to use a different project name or keep everything the same.

I'd figure I would share my thoughts as to what might happen.

EDIT:
Its over.

Just to let everyone know that I will be uploading a new revision of Abandoned Misery to /idgames soon, and should be available for everyone within a few hours or 24hours.

Here's the list of changes:

Revision Update (23 June. 2016)
This is a revision update from the last known release.
Updates:
    This update addresses several issues and minor changes that were resolved in the TGRDM3 project and has been imported onto this project.
    Imported the maps from TGRDM3 to AMISERY: Abandoned Misery and Abandoned Misery [Lite].  This is an updated version of the maps previously released back in 2014.
        Notable fixes: Jump Pads, Camera Textures, 3D Teleporter support
        Various and minor changes are also included.
        Any specialized TGRDM3 features that were not present in AMISERY were excluded.
        For example, Jump Pad sparkles, various sounds, ring spawners, and others, were excluded.
    Fixed the Grenade's bouncing sound.  Previously, this did not work as intended.
    Grenade now inherits from the Grenade Class defined in ZDoom.
    Updated the Performance Note
    Updated the texture credits.