Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

Man kickstarts to get $10 to make potato salad

Backers is at 5,403 and raised $44,124 of this post.

A fool and his money are soon departed.

GreyGhost said:

Trolling his own project? Priceless!

Or he's an idiot. But I have a feeling he's trolling it. I saw his T-shirts and the fact he's nicknamed 'danger' would indicate to me he's trolling.

dew said:

The fuck are you talking about? The fuck all of you are talking about, nitwits? Go educate yourselves, you goddamn fucking hillbillies. Cure for cancer, lol. Really, the amount of ignorance is astounding, cancer doesn't work that way. There is no magic treatment, because cancer is already there, lurking in the genes, getting boosted by external carcinogenic elements.

No, cancer is not always there. There's loads of different kinds of cancers and they're not all developed the same way. They're basically mutations in the genome that get out of control. To say that cancer is always there is uneducated. One factor that's making it difficult to find a cure is the complexity of the disease; it's at the genetic level.

TheCupboard said:

You could send "$10" to feed a starving human in a foreign land through a reputable charity. I dismiss this heap of responses.

"My charity is better than your charity!"

(yes, I know the kickstarter has nothing to do with charity, but you would have probably said the same about a fundraiser for curing little kids in a first world nation ;-) )

Glaice said:

Ehhh OK, but copycatting so soon makes it pretty much a one-trick pony. Nobody is likely to replicate the success of the original (?) so quickly.

But leave it alone a couple of months, and then make your move: everybody then will be talking again about "the potential of new technologies", "how crowdfunding can help startups", "new economy trumps the old economy" etc.

But now is too soon.

Hey, if we're already playing the tag thing...

buttspit said:

No, cancer is not always there.

Cells that cause cancer are a common thing, the most important factor is the failure of immunity system to detect such cells. That's why AIDS patients are much more likely to get cancer, because screwed immunity system.

buttspit said:

There's loads of different kinds of cancers and they're not all developed the same way.

Principles of cancer are pretty much the same regardless of where it's formed. There are unique traits depending on where it's located, but the core process of its formation is nearly identical regardless of where it's located.

buttspit said:

One factor that's making it difficult to find a cure is the complexity of the disease; it's at the genetic level.

Cancer is curable in early stages. It doesn't lack any sort of cure, it's nowhere near as bad as AIDS (the first supposedly cured AIDS patient reportedly stopped being cured as of today, so much for that). However, the one single main reason of high cancer mortality is that it's usually nearly asymptomatic in treatable stages. When serious symptoms show up, you're already pretty much done for.

j4rio said:

Hey, if we're already playing the tag thing...

Cells that cause cancer are a common thing, the most important factor is the failure of immunity system to detect such cells. That's why AIDS patients are much more likely to get cancer, because screwed immunity system.

Cancer is itself a mass of cells that have undergone mutations that change their properties, making them malignant. Though, yes, even in the absence of environmental and genetic factors, cancers can still develop in people; it's the result of the imperfect replication system in us. However, we have many DNA repair mechanisms that attempt to undo the damage before the immune system even needs to intervene.

j4rio said:

Principles of cancer are pretty much the same regardless of where it's formed. There are unique traits depending on where it's located, but the core process of its formation is nearly identical regardless of where it's located.

That's not my point. My point is that saying that they're always there is incorrect. Some are heavily environmental/lifestyle dependent, while some others are genetically dependent. Ultimately, cancer is when normal cell function goes wrong due to irreversible damage. People produce damaged/abnormal cells everyday that have the potential to become cancerous; but these cells are still not cancerous, by definition.

j4rio said:

Cancer is curable in early stages. It doesn't lack any sort of cure, it's nowhere near as bad as AIDS (the first supposedly cured AIDS patient reportedly stopped being cured as of today, so much for that). However, the one single main reason of high cancer mortality is that it's usually nearly asymptomatic in treatable stages. When serious symptoms show up, you're already pretty much done for.

Current curing methods for cancer consist of either ablation, radiation or chemotherapy. 2 of these methods are non-specific, result in various side-effects and complications and all 3 can result in relapse. Yeah, the early stages are when cancer is most easily cured these days. But that's the problem: only at early stages. Actual cures, stage-independent, go into territories that are poorly understood/developed and are a subject of taboo these days. There are also a bunch of drugs that are used to slow the progression and the like, but they're not true cures.

It's started a bandwagon already?
Well that's stupid.
Oh well, it'll blow over in, like, 3 months or so.

You know how these silly little internet memes are.

j4rio said:

However, the one single main reason of high cancer mortality is that it's usually nearly asymptomatic in treatable stages. When serious symptoms show up, you're already pretty much done for.

Uhm, this was my entire point. Screening for cancer in populations showing more disposition towards it just makes sense and, in effect, saves a lot of money on late cancer treatment or palliative care.

dew said:

Uhm, this was my entire point. Screening for cancer in populations showing more disposition towards it just makes sense and, in effect, saves a lot of money on late cancer treatment or palliative care.

Well, there's another problem. Cancer formation is quite fast process. Screening would have to be done very often even on single person to reliably detect cancer formation.

j4rio said:

Well, there's another problem. Cancer formation is quite fast process. Screening would have to be done very often even on single person to reliably detect cancer formation.

Cancer progression rate varies between types. That's why there's a typing and grading system for tumors. But people don't necessarily need to be screened often for formation. Cancer occurring without genetic and especially environmental factors is very rare. There are preliminary assays already available that determine whether a person is predisposed; and people not at risk (ex, exposure) don't need to be screened frequently.

I love how this thread is getting derailed by a discussion about cancer.

Speaking of which...

Let's start a kickstarter to find the cure for cancer!

Crasger said:

I love how this thread is getting derailed by a discussion about cancer.

Speaking of which...

Let's start a kickstarter to find the cure for cancer!

The Cats and Dogs topic lead to autism.

geo said:

What're you talkin' about-- this is about potato salad that's worth $60,000!

geo said:

In a sense, they all do in EE.

dew said:

In a sense, they all do in EE.

That's why the alleged baby jesus kills a kitten with every post, correct?

Crasger said:

What're you talkin' about-- this is about potato salad that's worth $60,000!

It just came to me -if it's so easy to rise considerable sums in kickstarter, what's preventing speculators, hedge funds and even mafiosi to "want in", offer "protection" and do whatever they can to keep pumping them up?

Clonehunter said:

How did this thread become cancer?

I blame 40oz, though there are indications the thread was already veering off-course. If you're willing to back a "Where did this thread start to derail?" Kickstarter, I should be able to give you a definitive answer in about 3 months time.

Looper said:

I guess the only 'right' way of spending money is the way you want it to be spent.

I would rather donate $10 for this potato salad than for the starving kids in Africa because throwing money in that continent won't fix the problems.

Giving $10 to a starving African kid wont fix the problem, but it will make the problem a little better, while giving $10 to the man who needs salad or whatever will do nothing but waste $10.

geo said:

Time is up.
$55,000
He will have Potatostock.

Not bad a run.

Well, that was a fun romp; onto the next stupidly funny internet-based crowd-funding venture, then.