Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Unregistered account

Why does this cause Chocolate Doom to crash?

So, I was developing a level for E1M6 for Doom in Name Only (thanks, Plums!) and I've encountered a weird error. If I try to test the level with Chocolate Doom, my default testing program, the game crashes immediately... without an error message.

And when I turned the Player start around to face the starting "door" (or lift in this case), the thing worked until I turned around.

Now, I know this sounds like some kind of Visplane error but I've used the Visplane explorer and that's all fine -

http://i.imgur.com/uHFYcwV.png

Also, the fact that no error message appears makes it kinda weird. It runs perfectly with a Sourceport, and no errors appear in the editor or in the in-game console.

What's causing this? Please help!

@Quaser: Yeah, I was just worried about someone stealing it. I guess there's no chance of that happening, so here's the WAD!

The chance of anybody diagnosing it without access to the file is pretty poor.

The problem is the midtexture being used for the secret air-vent (line 197). Vanilla doom crashes when certain textures are used as mid-textures, I think it has something to do with whether the texture is made from multiple patches.

Damn! Really? That's the one texture I can use that actually looks like an air vent!

I've tried the metal bar textures, but they don't really work and the closest thing I could find was one of the BRNSMAL textures, which looks crap as an air vent.

http://i.imgur.com/7oRnBGZ.png

It also causes two problems which are kinda opposite - firstly, it doesn't look like you'd be able to walk through it and then there's the fact that you can see there's an area behind it. :(

Oh well, thanks Mouldy!

What you could try is making the vent cover a fast door/lift and having a line between the pillar and the vent that opens it when you jump towards it.

That's actually a good idea. I could also try and make an instant-lowering floor that raises back up again too? I dunno. Thanks for the suggestion!