Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dima

Wtf?! Doom III At E3 Only Private Showing?!?! (UPDATED)

Taken from mapcenter where Paul Jaquays posted two replies to my post:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To the best of my knowledge, Doom at E3 is a private showing ... not on public monitors.
--------------------
-Paul

Yes ... it will be more impressive ... though some of that will be due to including gameplay content and physics ... not just geometry and shaders.

E3 is put on for the industry ... particularly focussing on RETAIL BUYERS and licensing. It's not a public event.

One of the problems with showing things publicly ... even under controlled conditions, is that you end up with things like that German game magazine at QuakeCon 2001 doing the shaky cam thing from the back of the hall after being told not to, or the pirate versions of Star Wars Episode 2 showing up on line (taken at early screenings).

With Q3A, id had the problem that magazines who wanted early release stuff were putting up prototype images of maps and models that the company gave them. When the game shipped, the hue and cry arose about content or features that were shown earlier but didn't make it into the game (the legendary "lost maps" and the "put your own face on character" feature that someone interpolated out of the designer player models).

I'm pretty sure that the stuff that id will show at E3 will be much closer to final game content than was previously shown. but that doesn't mean they want every jimmy with a webpage from Berlin to Seoul (and points in between) putting up blurry images taken off public display monitors.

When the hype begins, a company wants to in control of it, not driven in front of it.

--------------------
-Paul

Don't u guys just love me?? :))

Gah!
Why didn't they announce that earlier!?
No pictures this time either. I could live with that if they had stated this when they announced that they'll show Doom 3 at E3, but now where I had the anticipation of seeing something new from the game it sucks!

Well, at least there'll be someone to describe what they'll see at the booth.

Well now i have lost almost all interesst in Doom3 :( Why ID? Why did you guys announce that Doom3 was going to be shown at E3 when it is not????

Paul Jaquays said:

every jimmy with a webpage from Berlin to Seoul (and points in between) putting up blurry images taken off public display monitors

Guilty.

Anyway, Activision have put out a press release saying that Doom III will debut at this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo in Activision's booth #1224 in the South Hall. So clearly they're going to release screenshots and information - even if they're just handing them out to the big news sites and PC magazines, instead of displaying the game on a bunch of monitors for everyone to mess with and take shitty pictures of.

And this is supposed to be news?

Goddamnit, don't you people remember it's on room 411, E3's theater? That's what the exhibitors brochure said regarding the "hottest games in development" showcase. Hmmph, I already said this in another thread not so long ago.

Zaldron said:

And this is supposed to be news?

Goddamnit, don't you people remember it's on room 411, E3's theater? That's what the exhibitors brochure said regarding the "hottest games in development" showcase. Hmmph, I already said this in another thread not so long ago.

Firstly, I don't know too much about the details on E3 booths so the booth number doesn't say me much.
Secondly, I don't remember seeing you post that id would likely just be showing it for magazine people and the like and keep anything away from the public.

I'm glad that the public wont get to play the game at E3 - previews would be written ruining any surprises. But it would be nice if they displayed a short video or rotating models for the public.

Ahem :

id's going to be present at both Activision's booth and #411, the theater. I'm guessing they'll show just some pics/info to the public, while Willits will be presenting the real deal for developers and other important members of the community behind closed doors.

It'd be nice to know where you got that, Zaldron ;)

Oh well, this should be good; it builds up the suspense for Joe Average ;)