Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Breezeep

Unpopular Opinions

Patch93 said:

Actually you know what, pork in general fucking sucks.

To be honest, I find freshly-made boneless porkchops to be most excellent.

Unpopular opinion: There's no reason to be proud of being gay, black, atheist, what-the-fuck-ever. Save pride for like, serious accomplishments, like saving someone's life, securing your family financially, getting your art shown in a gallery, etc.

Agreed.

Looking back, I can't help but laugh at the people who said Cave Story's music sounded like the NES.

It sounds way more like OPL/YM2612, I think.

GoatLord said:

Unpopular opinion: There's no reason to be proud of being gay, black, atheist, what-the-fuck-ever. Save pride for like, serious accomplishments, like saving someone's life, securing your family financially, getting your art shown in a gallery, etc.

I'd agree to an extent. Gays and blacks are still beaten and killed for simply being themselves. The response is to be prideful despite the hardships. Is that so wrong?

Sure. In some places like that third world country called America white heterosexual Christian men are shamed for having more power and privilege than everyone else, what makes all these brown people and queers so special?!

If you're gay, you should treat it as part of who you are, rather than the sum of who you are. From my personal experience, it saves you a lot of grief.

I must admit I've never met anyone who falls under that 2nd category. I'm sure they exist, but they'd be an extremely small minority. Participating in gay pride parades or expressing yourself in certain ways (rainbow hair or whatever) does not make you part of that 2nd category any more than participating in a St. Patrick's Day Parade and your last name is Monahan means your Irish heritage is the sum total of who you are.

I just get annoyed when people say, "Well I'd have no problem with someone being gay, atheist, etc. if they'd just keep it to themselves," while at the same time constantly reminding everyone that they themselves are straight, Christian, etc. It's this weird dichotomy where it only counts as flaunting it if you're in the minority, while examples of being in the majority and "flaunting it" are ignored. It's like the majority is so normalized it never even occurs to those people that they are broadcasting their private views.

It's like the whole "Merry Christmas" debacle. Getting pissed off that people aren't acknowledging your personal religious beliefs, while at the same time getting pissed off that people are acknowledging that not everyone has the same religious beliefs. And never mind the fact that I think "Happy Holidays," is a perfectly valid expression even within Christianity, because there are 12 days of Christmas, plus New Year's, so saying "Happy Holidays" can be taken as simply acknowledging that Christmas Day isn't the only holiday being celebrated, even within a Christian context.

Oh god, you're spot on there.

"Why isn't there a white history month?!"

There is. It's called every other month. And honestly Black History Month has been co-opted by white people too.

Muscle cars are the shit, screw sports cars.

-

Diesel engines are much worse to work on and much more complicated than good old petrol based engines.

The added simplicity of the action used to get the combustion in petrol engines is also much more appealing to me.

-

Death is a preferable alternative to communism.

-

Anything made by Renault that has "Clio" in the title can honestly go fuck itself, the unreliable pieces of shit have no end of faults and have some of the most backwards ass designs I have ever encountered when it came to basic repairs.

Who the hell thought that putting the exhaust manifold, a piece that is important to be able to reach and replace, at the back of the engine in the most cramped of places where it is next to impossible to reach let alone move is a complete asshole.

3 hours to take it off, fucking 3.

mrthejoshmon said:

Death is a preferable alternative to communism.

I'm not a communist myself but this is ridiculous. "Better dead than red?" Are you 15 or 50? Either way you got some growing up to do.

Communism in itself is not a bad idea. But it's like libertarianism -- completely unworkable in practice because human nature and its adherents are goofy people divorced from reality. How can anyone take that seriously?

The problem with communism isn't in the ideal but in the governments that try to implement it (but, again, remember that communism is unworkable in practice.) People tend to equate Stalin being a power-hungry sociopath with communism as an idea and they're not at all the same thing.

dethtoll said:

I'm not a communist myself but this is ridiculous. "Better dead than red?" Are you 15 or 50? Either way you got some growing up to do.

Well, I was quoting Liberty Prime randomly in the post (Who is a somewhat thinly veiled parody of anti-communism), I don't actually think death is better than communism so please do calm your tits.

Yeah I actually almost considered bringing that up as not something to unironically repeat.

My stance on the matter remains, however.

Cyanosis said:

I'd agree to an extent. Gays and blacks are still beaten and killed for simply being themselves. The response is to be prideful despite the hardships. Is that so wrong?

Imagine, for a moment, a future in which no minority is ostracized, beaten or killed simply for being a minority. Obviously, at that point, they would no longer need parades, their own TV channels, pride-based clubs, magazines, etc. That begs the question: Should we give all that bullshit up now, so that minorities no longer feel the need to separate themselves, or do we need it until the harassment no longer occurs?

Doom 3 was a great game. Nowhere near as amazing as the classic originals, but still highly enjoyable.

To answer the question about harassment and whatnot, I think it's best to look at it in terms of how people tend to operate. We tend to categorize everything into "us" and "them," the self vs. the other. It's not inevitable, not everyone does this all the time, so don't take it personally or anything, it's just on the whole, that's how humanity operates. It's believed to stem from our evolutionary past, when it was vital to differentiate between members of the tribe and strangers who could pose a threat to your resources. After all, we need to work together to function, but at the same time, we can't let people take things without contributing.

The thing is, it's been shown over and over that the best way to combat prejudice against a minority is through repeated exposure to that minority. That exposure helps break down the barrier, to allow members of a minority to no longer be seen as "other." In that sense, then, having things to recognize minorities can be very helpful for people with little exposure to those minorities. It doesn't result in instant change, but it has a cumulative effect over time.

Now, there is a limit to this - try to be too direct, coming across like you're rubbing it in their faces, and that can provoke a hostile reaction and get the person to shut down and not consider other viewpoints. But for instance, attitudes toward gay people have greatly changed in the US partly because of more exposure. Friends and family members have felt more secure coming out of the closet, and celebrities have been more open, so that it starts to be a little less theoretical and a little more like an issue that actually affects people you know.

So basically, over time, exposure to different minorities increases, to the point where those people are seen less and less like the "other," and eventually calling attention to the minority becomes unnecessary. A few months ago I actually read a very interesting article on the history of gay bars in San Francisco, and about how that scene is kind of dying because as gays have received more mainstream acceptance, the necessity for having gay bars and clubs has greatly decreased. So there's one example where it's actually kind of playing out already.

RUSH said:

Doom 3 was a great game. Nowhere near as amazing as the classic originals, but still highly enjoyable.

BURN THE HERETIC

mrthejoshmon said:

Diesel engines are much worse to work on and much more complicated than good old petrol based engines.

The added simplicity of the action used to get the combustion in petrol engines is also much more appealing to me.

I don't see diesel powered engines being THAT complicated. Yes, it requires annealing before starting, and if it's older car, you need to know when to start.

However, few benefits make diesel much, much appealing (these are my personal experiences):

While diesel isn't as potent as gasoline, it is much more robust and stalling in lights is less likely. Of course, it depends on engine and skill of driver.

Diesel engines don't die if your battery is drained or malfunctioning while driving, compared to gasoline engines. Not counting new cars, though.

And diesel won't be easily ignited by any kind of spark.

Only major gripes in diesel is its need for two types, summer and winter quality. And if you spill it on road, it's goddamn slippery stuff.

mrthejoshmon said:

Anything made by Renault that has "Clio" in the title can honestly go fuck itself, the unreliable pieces of shit have no end of faults and have some of the most backwards ass designs I have ever encountered when it came to basic repairs.

Peugeot4lyfe

dethtoll said:

Oh god, you're spot on there.

"Why isn't there a white history month?!"

There is. It's called every other month. And honestly Black History Month has been co-opted by white people too.

I disagree with this because it's sort of a ridiculous notion that I spend 11 months reading history that only concerns "white" people.

So yeah, that's my unpopular opinion I guess. Black history month actually is stupid.

Patch93 said:

It sounds like PCE/TG-16 music to me.

Ah, you know what you're right! That's a spot on comparison now that I think about it, and what a gem of a console it was, right?

I think the thing that confused me was the more buzzy instruments in the Oppression and the odd echoey pads in Hero's End.