Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Glaice

Quake Live's accounts expire after 180 days of no activity

What, really? Is there any reason to do this, id/Zenimax? This is why I don't like needing an account for every goddamn little thing on the internet under the damn sun. At least when I want to play again, I should be able to without hassle.

I've known this to happen since ages ago. :P

It's obvious that since they were doing the subscription thing they only wanted to keep paying players.

I have so many other games to play that it's not even piqueing my interest that much, so tough luck on id.

You get a warning email 2 weeks or so before it happens. I got a couple of those already.

People should just get Quake 3 Arena on Steam and say "Fuck you" to id.

well this makes sense, I guess they don't want accounts not being used wasting space in their systems. seriously, just log on once every 6 months, no problem here.

@Doomhuntress
I think they would delete your account if it expired, your email wouldn't be in the records anymore and could use it again.

Glaice said:

So... you choose not to play a game for over half a year, a free one at that, and upon coming back after feeling an itch to play you realize you need to spend a few minutes setting up a simple account again. And this is enough for you to decree "This is an outrage! Fuck you, id!!"?

I hope the additional post count to your thread gave you what you want.

Glaice said:

This is why I don't like needing an account for every goddamn little thing on the internet under the damn sun.

Blame the Internet bots and spammers for ruining everything nice about it, causing the need for inconvenient stuff like user acounts, valid email addresses and captchas.

Khorus said:

And this is enough for you to decree "This is an outrage! Fuck you, id!!"?

Boycott a free game by buying its predecessor? id is so fucked.

kristus said:

So don't be inactive for 180 days. It's not like you lose anything. Only your stats.

And your achievements and friends list.

At least with the predecessor you don't need to worry about that. The only downside would be a severe lack of servers running.

reality 2.0 said:

@Doomhuntress
I think they would delete your account if it expired, your email wouldn't be in the records anymore and could use it again.

ah, well that's not a big deal then. i don't think i managed to win a single game the short time i was playing it, and if my achivements got wiped i couldn't care less, so eh.

I wish more companies would do this. I haven't logged into Adobe in 10 or so years. Same with eBay, hadn't been in 12 years. They get hacked. My credit card numbers have changed 2 or 3 times since then, but still if I didn't use the service, they shouldn't still be holding an account for me.

Thought I'd chime in. They totally dropped support for QuakeLive Mac. Total bullshit. I don't mind booting to PC mode (via Bootcamp), so my account is still playable. But not all Mac users have that convenience, so they're fucked. Along with Doom 3: BFG Edition being riddled with glitches, console versions of Doom 2 being censored or having framerate issues, and mostly recently the exclusivity of Doom 4's reveal, it really feels like id is thoroughly fucking its fanbase with a steel pole. And yet, here I am putting up with t, because I've been so patiently waiting for a new Doom.

i honestly don't think a new Doom's just gonna fix things at this point. i mean yeah, the new Wolfenstein game was good i heard, but that wasn't even developed by id Software.

Glaice said:

I still have it since before it was on steam. :P

Doomhuntress said:

i honestly don't think a new Doom's just gonna fix things at this point. i mean yeah, the new Wolfenstein game was good i heard, but that wasn't even developed by id Software.

They didn't develop any Wolf game other than Wolf 3D and Spear. They seem like the guys who introduce games as tech demos, and then let other people play with the franchises. But I don't think that's new information. :P

Been a user since the beginning of 2010, at first i played a lot but then i kind of didn't play much anymore, from time to time i try to start playing again but fail, i guess thats why my account hasn't expired.

Yeah, so... hugh, my account was deleted, you were right. I think is the moment to search for my Quake 3 Arena cd to install it, heh.

Mr. Freeze said:

And your achievements and friends list.

And your account name. Someone registered my old name, played like 3 games and never played again.

I got pretty good at it at sincet he beginning surprisingly since I've never usually been good at online fps games.

I was rocking with the shotgun and my best level was Temple of Retribution, maybe it's from all the experience I had of playing Quake 3 Arena in the past.