Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
40oz

screenshots

In your humble opinion, which source port do you believe takes the best looking screen shots, and/or which source port is best used for taking screenshots? (as in having more flexible options, like clean screenshots w/o status bar, crosshair, HUD weapon, or being able to easily take shots from different angles.)

And lastly, software or OpenGL rendering for screenshots?

any source port that allows for fly/notarget makes nice shots. so prb+, zdoom, probably more...

I like no HUD for shots, again almost any port can do this. I'd be nice to have no weapons in the shot, I know zdoom has a config option to not draw weapon sprites or something. My ghetto solution in prb+ is to either take a screenshot while changing weapons (during the brief moment that the screen is empty) or just lazily leave it in.

rendering is personal preference, I prefer GL.

Oh yeah. if doing GL shots in zdoom, I'd probably turn off dynamic lights unless the aesthetics were designed around it, looks kinda 'eh' otherwise.

I'll have to pimp my own port as it has a flying walkcam which is totally HUD-less :P

I tend to take mine in ZDoom. I usually kill everything but I prefer action shots if it does not result in an imp fireball or demon right in your face

On balance I prefer to use ZDoom's current software renderer, and it's nice to have the option to remove the player sprites. But Odamex's 32bit renderer is a bit special, and can produce some very nice shots I think.

EDIT

And shots taken with the player looking either up or down can look pretty off-key to me, so I tend to disable mouse look if I want the shot to look nice.

I usually take screenshots with ZDoom, but sometimes I take a few with ChocolateDoom and/or PrBoom+

Ribbiks said:

I'd be nice to have no weapons in the shot, I know zdoom has a config option to not draw weapon sprites or something. My ghetto solution in prb+ is to either take a screenshot while changing weapons (during the brief moment that the screen is empty) or just lazily leave it in.

For the ZDoom family it's r_drawplayersprites 0, for other ports I use a small wad with transparent weapon sprites.

No port preference, but I tend to favour software rendering with the HUD removed and minimal gamma correction.

Ribbiks said:

I'd be nice to have no weapons in the shot, I know zdoom has a config option to not draw weapon sprites or something.

Crispy Doom's got a cool feature that removes the HUD and weapon from screenshots when you hold run while pressing the screenshot button.

For ZDoom you could make an alias that turns weapons and HUD off, takes a screenshot, then restores the weapons and HUD.